• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The gallows are back in town

The gallows model has been the simplest thing i ever made. It has around 750 polygons (if you do not count the ropes, which have more than 1000 each, but i used the stone object for them anyway). (Compared to the Panagia Chalkeon, which has more than 40 thousant polygons)

Here is a pic of what it looks like in the program:

I used to do that as well, but it was not at all good for my eyes, so gave it up.

It is not like i am being paid to make graphics, so i can live with the diminished detail. Besides, 3d programs in theory can produce better results.

The gallows model has been the simplest thing i ever made. It has around 750 polygons (if you do not count the ropes, which have more than 1000 each, but i used the stone object for them anyway). (Compared to the Panagia Chalkeon, which has more than 40 thousant polygons)

Here is a pic of what it looks like in the program:

That's the simplest thing you've ever done? :wow: And my biggest Bryce creation (my unfinished Dacian cityset) has 4000 polygons, and it's composed of 5 buildings, not 1! How difficult was that Panagia Chalkeon? :crazyeye:

@Storm and Pounder: Look carefully at that wire model... it looks like some things you see in 3D geometry, right? ;) You should be easily able to see the model with the naked eye, but it's probably hard if you're not used to it. :D

Some parts of the Panagia Chalkeon got duplicated (i ended up with a lot more pyramids that i needed). Each dome consists of:

-4 pyramids (double as 8, the first is streched to reach the edge, then duplicated at 90 degrees, then grouped with the first and duplicated at 45 degrees)
-1 torus
-4 cubes (double as 8, same plan)
-2X2 cube and cylinder and 2 smaller cylinders, again x 4, for the windows
-1 large cube, for the base
-1 pyramid, for the 4 edges of the cube serving as base.

And you multiply that X3, since there are three dome structures.

Then there are the other parts of the model :)

However there are far simpler ways to reach massive amounts of polygons. If you keep repeating the same shape, and change its angles (as in a gothic structure) you only have made one object and altered it in size and angle, but will have huge numbers of polygons.

That's the simplest thing you've ever done? :wow: And my biggest Bryce creation (my unfinished Dacian cityset) has 4000 polygons, and it's composed of 5 buildings, not 1! How difficult was that Panagia Chalkeon? :crazyeye:

@Storm and Pounder: Look carefully at that wire model... it looks like some things you see in 3D geometry, right? ;) You should be easily able to see the model with the naked eye, but it's probably hard if you're not used to it. :D

@varwnos and mirc

You guys are too serious, I was just joking around, I have made a few things using 3-D programs like povray and gmax. I have a very techical background, electronics engineering, designed test equipment, I trouble shot microcode on bit-slice processors back in the seventies, I don't have to look too hard too see everything varwnos did.

@varwnos and mirc

You guys are too serious, I was just joking around, I have made a few things using 3-D programs like povray and gmax. I have a very techical background, electronics engineering, designed test equipment, I trouble shot microcode on bit-slice processors back in the seventies, I don't have to look too hard too see everything varwnos did.

Hey, how could I know that? :D I was trying to help you, thinking you really didn't understand. :)

Some parts of the Panagia Chalkeon got duplicated (i ended up with a lot more pyramids that i needed). Each dome consists of:

-4 pyramids (double as 8, the first is streched to reach the edge, then duplicated at 90 degrees, then grouped with the first and duplicated at 45 degrees)
-1 torus
-4 cubes (double as 8, same plan)
-2X2 cube and cylinder and 2 smaller cylinders, again x 4, for the windows
-1 large cube, for the base
-1 pyramid, for the 4 edges of the cube serving as base.

And you multiply that X3, since there are three dome structures.

Then there are the other parts of the model :)

However there are far simpler ways to reach massive amounts of polygons. If you keep repeating the same shape, and change its angles (as in a gothic structure) you only have made one object and altered it in size and angle, but will have huge numbers of polygons.

:wow:

Yes, I know, only one object can have hundreds or thousands of polygons.

For example, look what I needed to do to make an octogonal pyramid:

Of course it's nothing compared to your building, but I needed 244 polygons for one object, and a simple one, just a pyramid!

BTW - that looks insane. I don't know how you can work with that many objects. :crazyeye:

Some are just doubles (im sure that well over 1000 polygons are doubles, and possibly a lot more). This happens because i duplicate a lot so as to create the octagonal shapes, and sometimes i am too bored to erase the original piece that i had duplicated (and which does not show anyway, since the larger duplicate replaces it). So after i have a group of 8 cubes in an octagon i forget/dont bother to erase the group of 4, or the couple or the one.

Also it does not matter that the objects get to be a lot, since i move from part to part, and leave behind the things i had already created.

And your building is very nicely created :) (although here only a red x shows, but i saw it in your city graphics thread)

Some are just doubles (im sure that well over 1000 polygons are doubles, and possibly a lot more). This happens because i duplicate a lot so as to create the octagonal shapes, and sometimes i am too bored to erase the original piece that i had duplicated (and which does not show anyway, since the larger duplicate replaces it). So after i have a group of 8 cubes in an octagon i forget/dont bother to erase the group of 4, or the couple or the one.

Also it does not matter that the objects get to be a lot, since i move from part to part, and leave behind the things i had already created.

And your building is very nicely created :) (although here only a red x shows, but i saw it in your city graphics thread)

Thanks. It's only a house though (and I was talking only about the roof here ;)). I think ImageShack might be down right now, so you might only see the images that you already loaded not long ago, because I see it but can't see other images I used to see. :)

Nalanda University was over 4,000,000 polygons; Prambanan was 400,000. Unless vwarnos, Hikaro, or Mirc can top off such madness, I believe I still hold the record of having an insane number of polygons. :D

Each Bryce shape has a certain number of polygons. Since you can't model things the same way as in Blender or 3D Studio Max, Bryce modeling is mostly an accumulation of shapes stuck together to form a particular object. :)

One of the reasons I came back to Civ3 is because the graphics (especially the unit graphics) are not as nice to look at in civ4.

Everything in the game ends up being displayed 2d regardless of what tools were used in it's creation.

Sorry varwnos for hijacking your thread, I was just trying to make a joke saying that my picture had over a 1000 pixels (33x31), doesn't even give me enough pixels to write my name, no one caught it.

Edit: Crosspost.....

I made this for a website, but it's using terrain, it's not built object by object, like the Nalanda University or Prambanan. It has 60.000 polygons though.

BTW - would this fit for any civ thing? "Atlantis" splash or something? Edit: Yeah, thread hijack, sorry.

Sorry varwnos for hijacking your thread, I was just trying to make a joke saying that my picture had over a 1000 pixels (33x31), doesn't even give me enough pixels to write my name, no one caught it.

33x31 is big enough to make a decently-detailed pixel house, mine structure, or terrain feature, however. :)

"Hang 'em High"...Good Work on the Gallows...I agree that the Mist used in the Splash is Great and because many people like to have all of the game images with the same backgrounds, it is very good to also include the Civ Grass background.:goodjob:

Top Bottom