The game really needs a better way to control units

Ita Bear

Warlord
Hello folks,

going to give some brutal honesty here regarding 1UPT and the game, which I otherwise love except for the 1UPT and unit movement. The game is already rather micro-intensive when it comes to units requiring promotions and each unit being able to receive generals. Moving units takes things to a whole new level. It shares the same fundamental flaw that Civ V and VI have in the mid-to-late game; by the time I reach it with 20+ units, moving them one-by-one is just pure tedium.

Take my current game as an example: the bulk of my forces were to the east, fighting against the Vandal tribe. I wiped them out and secured my eastern flank, so I wanted to turn my attention to the west where Babylon and Persia are. That means selecting every single unit (of which I had at least 15) and moving them one at a time to the west of my empire. I've learnt that a unit will move to the edge of its blue movement area if a target beyond its movement range is given; they will not, however, continue on to their destination on the subsequent turn unless a SHIFT order is given (which places a blue marker on the hex). This is rather unintuitive. A bug seems to arise though; sometimes my units just inexplicably stop heading towards their destination and that means I have to give them orders yet again telling them where to go. Are their routes getting tangled? If so, are they incapable of recalculating another route and just decide to stop dead? Also, when I'm moving so many units at once, it becomes difficult to remember what I told to go where. There really should be an indicator saying "archer arriving in 3 turns" or something.

The Civ V mod Vox Populi has some sub-mods that alleviate this tedium to some degree. Mods exist that show the expected paths units can take to their destination; if they meet an obstacle, they will intelligently find an alternate route. I know the orders system complicates matters somewhat, but perhaps a system could be introduced that gives units priority for receiving orders, so they will take their moves before lower priority units. My dream would be to have a drag-select system like most RTS games, and then just right-click to have units intelligently make their own way over, or a HoI IV style frontline system... but I doubt that can happen. :D I would like to emphasise that my unit bottlenecks were not caused by lack of orders. At this point in the game I can move most units quite comfortably with orders left over. It is just so boring to move units individually and have them unable to make a relatively simple journey without handholding. By the time I get to mid-game I start to feel deflated due to the inevitable log-jam that's about to occur.

Curious to hear any other input on this.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Last edited:
I have been a die hard fan of 1UPT since it was first introduced, and yet I share your frustrations. I don't have a brilliant solution to this so I just power through.

One idea I did have, which doesn't really solve your problem, is a mechanism whereby every unit (maybe every unit < level 5) automatically moves to the closest barracks/range (ofc, if there are more units than barracks/ranges then the closest unit will just go to it). I proposed this idea often times after a war ends I want my units to go get experience. But yeah, that doesn't really solve your problem. I've also had some issues with the blue dotted line thing not working.

I have been a die hard fan of 1UPT since it was first introduced, and yet I share your frustrations. I don't have a brilliant solution to this so I just power through.

One idea I did have, which doesn't really solve your problem, is a mechanism whereby every unit (maybe every unit < level 5) automatically moves to the closest barracks/range (ofc, if there are more units than barracks/ranges then the closest unit will just go to it). I proposed this idea often times after a war ends I want my units to go get experience. But yeah, that doesn't really solve your problem. I've also had some issues with the blue dotted line thing not working.

That would be a start! Anything that helps move units en-masse, even if not perfect, is a step in the right direction I think. I am curious if the developers have received any similar feedback and of any potential workarounds?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

That would be a start! Anything that helps move units en-masse, even if not perfect, is a step in the right direction I think. I am curious if the developers have received any similar feedback and of any potential workarounds?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

I'll say we're listening, but can't really comment further than that.

it would be neat if maybe you could give over some of your units and orders to a "magister militum" of sorts. permanently lose those units and orders but have an allied general to fight for you; you just don't control them. just make sure you keep those new guys happy, or you may face a revolt . . . it might be a nice balance between relaxing some of the tedium of moving many units in teh later game and keeping the spirit of the orders system and 1upt. plus, if it was done when you had a large army and empire, it may also simulate the reward/risk you get from delegating to underlings

Don't know that I would like that. You could be getting slaughtered by Carthage while the general you gave troops to decides it needed to attack a barbarian camp.:nono:

How about doing things the old RTS-route? You keep the shift-key pressed in, select a bunch of units on the map, deselect wanted units with the ctrl-key, and then order them to move to a selected place on the map. For user convenience, you would see some lighted tiles on the map, showing where the units will end up, how many turns it will take, and a cost of orders per turn. Do this once, and then you don't have to think about it, until they arrive, and instead you spend your time focusing on the rest of your realm...

Top Bottom