The Great Library: Is It Worth Our Time?

Donovan Zoi

The Return
People of Fanatikos,

Some concerned citizens have brought the matter of the Great Library to my attention. While I feel that this topic is premature based on our pending race to Philosophy, it probably wouldn't hurt to start the conversation now.

This discussion is based on the assumption that we will either secure Literature as a free tech in five turns, or that it will be our next-in-que to be researched in approximately 20 turns from today. Please keep this in mind as you discuss the pros and cons.

My thanks to Bertie and Ravenfire for prompting me to start this discussion.

The President's Opinion

At this point in time, the only way I see the benefit of building the Great Library is by securing it through a Scientific Great Leader. If we do not receive one during our discovery of Philosophy or Literature, then I really feel we should pass on this opportunity.

Instead, I would like to see us regular Libraries in all of our cities once they can produce at least 5 shields/pt. At 40 shields, I feel that these will benefit our nation much more, and their influence will grow as we grow. The the GL, we have to prepare in advance when we have much more pressing concerns militarily and in city growth.

DZ,

Thanks for starting this topic! You’re quite right that in a sense this discussion is premature because the point is moot if we don’t achieve the Philosophy Gambit. However, it’s likely we’re going to want to build a wonder at some point, so we might as well start discussing the pros and cons of wonder building.

I usually find better things to do in the Ancient Age than build wonders. One of the last wonders I’d be inclined to build if I had to build a wonder would be the GL. The GL has its uses, but it’s almost always easier to capture it than build it by hand. Its major benefit – giving its holder free techs – expires quite soon in the Middle Ages.

However, in a 5CC game we’re going to be pretty weak and backward for quite awhile. The GL would allow us to concentrate on building infrastructure (including cheap libraries) and military rather than pouring money into research during the remainder of the AA and early MA. Assuming we have a realistic chance to build the GL before one of our rivals (a big if), there are good reasons to go for it.

The biggest downside to this is we tie up one of our very few cities in wonder building. This is a serious downside that shouldn’t be underestimated. The likely city to build the GL would be Olympus; and this city is also the most logical one to build a settler for our 5th city, and then to become a worker pump. Building the GL could cripple our nation’s development for years to come. In fact building any wonder during the AA is a risky move.

At the moment I’m leaning slightly towards attempting the GL despite the negatives; but only slightly. Because DZ plans to stop the chat after 5 turns (assuming we achieve the Philosophy Gambit), I suggest that for the next turnchat we select a prebuild for Olympus that can be changed to the GL should we decide to do so. Currently a hoplite is in the queue, and will be built in 4 turns. Obviously we need to change that to something else. This strategy gives us more time to discuss the desirability of building the GL; and gives us a head start on its construction should we decide that’s desirable.

Bertie,

Since Olympus is the only logical source to found our fifth and final domestic city, I feel that a Settler should take precedence over any prebuild, and especially over the Hoplite. If it is determined that a Settler build would come too soon and cripple the city, I will request that it be built after the Hoplite.

I will talk with the Governor of Olympus later today to ensure that one of these two scenarios takes place. We cannot free up a possible pre-build without it.

It is not worth our time. If trade and technology dept plays their cards right, we get the technologies we need by trades. Also, if Priapos is selected as site, we got 3 wines to trade away for luxes and get some strong research.

What we need is substantials, more gold, more happiness and so on. for top performing cities we may consider the Mausolleum, Colossus and other wonders that is merely advantageous to one city and not a continent. 5BC challenge makes such wonders more attractive.

We should invest in building the Great Library. A city with a high production value should be considered.

Build the GL, it's tech advances allow us to even keep the slider down some, gain money...which can then be spent on buying techs, while at the same time getting free ones oursleves...This should skyrocket us to the head of the Tech Race, and give us technologiacally advanced military. And since this is a 5BC, an advanced military is simply a neccascity. The 400 shileds are an even lose, while although it's production, will ahlt our own infastructure development, it's advantyages IMO far outwieght the disadvantages.

With so few cities, we must be strong militarily and culturally in order to survive. Also we can't afford to be locked into a long-term project which takes away our ability to respond to changing needs. When our position is better in the future, we might consider turning our strength towards projects of this kind.

We should devote all of our efforts into making sure we acquire the Great Library first.

Top Bottom