The Great People Mod

hIdDeN_eViL said:
i second the upload suggestion!

and whatever happened to snoopy??

I've emailed him and no response. I will try and upload a "patch" fixing those errors above. I've even thought of creating a Great Generals mod extension to this, so you can use both. I'm having a problem converting to .dds from .bmp, though.

did you try nvidia tools? the dds converter for photoshop or paint shop pro`?

BaalRoG said:
did you try nvidia tools? the dds converter for photoshop or paint shop pro`?
No, I didn't. I was trying the dds converter listed elsewhere on these forums. Thanks for the tip - I will try nvidia tools. I hope it works with Photoshop 5!

Hey Ostar,
I noticed you were going to try to clean up the mod, since Snoopy isn't available now. I kind of started changing the graphics part and I am about a third of the way through every GP. Here is an example of what my update looks like. If everyone approves, I will post the updated mod, once I finish.

patricius

P.S. I didn't touch the python files:confused: , just the art.

View attachment 107703

Guys Snoopy hasnt posted in over a month, i think u should carry on with the changes and upgrades of his mod, but always recognizing his initial work, i just think the greater good (in this case the most possible fun for the whole community) is more important.

Keep up the good work, and good luck! :goodjob:

Patricius said:
Hey Ostar,
I noticed you were going to try to clean up the mod, since Snoopy isn't available now. I kind of started changing the graphics part and I am about a third of the way through every GP. Here is an example of what my update looks like. If everyone approves, I will post the updated mod, once I finish.

patricius

P.S. I didn't touch the python files:confused: , just the art.

View attachment 107703

Wow, that's great! I can't modify the Art, since I have photoshop LE. :(
I tried using a BMP/DDS converter, but since the existing DDS files in this mod are sized 400x600 the BMP won't convert to DDS (not a power of 2).
I have a number of quotes and pictures I was ready to use. I also wanted to make an extension to this for the Great Generals mod. Any chance that I could send you what I have and you could do the Art?

ostar said:
Wow, that's great! I can't modify the Art, since I have photoshop LE. :(
I tried using a BMP/DDS converter, but since the existing DDS files in this mod are sized 400x600 the BMP won't convert to DDS (not a power of 2).
I have a number of quotes and pictures I was ready to use. I also wanted to make an extension to this for the Great Generals mod. Any chance that I could send you what I have and you could do the Art?

Wow we make a good team!:goodjob:
I had the same problem with the pixel size, so i just decided to make it 512x512. I am totally willing to do the art for the Great Generals. Just send it on over.

patricius

Hmmm, I checked all DDS file of snoopy's original Great People mod
and wrote a batch file to correct file names.

Cut and paste following code to text file and save that as "RENAME-DDS.BAT".
Or, just download the attached text file and rename it to batch file.
And put it in ".../CustomAssert/art/GreatPeople" folder.
(or any folder where you installed GreatPeople *.dds files)
Run the batch file will rename incorrect DDS filename to correct one.

Code:
@ECHO OFF
REM 
REM  Rename incorrect Great People Art File.
REM
RENAME "Al Khwarizmi.dds"	"Al-Khwarizmi.dds"
RENAME "Al Kindi.dds"		"Al-Kindi.dds"
RENAME "Al Razi.dds"		"Al-Razi.dds"
RENAME "Chuang Tzu.dds"		"Chuang-Tzu.dds"
RENAME "John D Rockefeller.dds" "John D. Rockefeller.dds"
RENAME "St. Augustine"		"St. Augustine.dds"
RENAME "st_john.dds"		"St. John.dds"
RENAME "St. Patrick"		"St. Patrick.dds"
RENAME "St. Paul"		"St. Paul.dds"
RENAME "St. Peter"		"St. Peter.dds"
RENAME "St. Thomas Aquinas"	"St. Thomas Aquinas.dds"
RENAME "Zheng Hi.dds"		"Zheng He.dds"

ECHO " OK. DONE."

I have written a small improved Great People mod with localized Great People names and custom option that you can turn on/off GP popup screen at your choice. Is any one interested in it? Then I will release it.

EDITED:
Patricius said:
I had the same problem with the pixel size, so i just decided to make it 512x512. I am totally willing to do the art for the Great Generals. Just send it on over.
I suggest you to think it again. Dealing with 400*600 and 512*512 picture box on same program code is bit harder and cubersome. And I think that 400*600 is nicer form factor on screen for in-game pop up than squre sized 512*512.

Just send me completed 400*600 high quality PNG or PSD file to me. I will convert it to DDS file with my photoshop and send back to you. Just upload it to free file hostig service, and notify me.
Then, I will modify this mod to handle both pictures ( snoopy's and paticius's) and user can choose picture set to display in custom option screen.

This is how it would look like.. in future...

BTW, How I can attach picture file as in-line (not as attached link)?
May I need a more privilige?

Attachments

• RENAME-DDS.TXT
    604 bytes · Views: 109
  • GP-OPTION-SS.jpg
    GP-OPTION-SS.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 346
SimCutie said:
I suggest you to think it again. Dealing with 400*600 and 512*512 picture box on same program code is bit harder and cubersome. And I think that 400*600 is nicer form factor on screen for in-game pop up than squre sized 512*512.

Just send me completed 400*600 high quality PNG or PSD file to me. I will convert it to DDS file with my photoshop and send back to you. Just upload it to free file hostig service, and notify me.
Then, I will modify this mod to handle both pictures ( snoopy's and paticius's) and user can choose picture set to display in custom option screen.

oh, if I had known that I would have done it in 400x600.
However, since I am already finished with about 80 of the the completed pictures, out of 178 I don't know if I can keep sane while going back and changing every single one. I poked around in the Python files and changed it to be consistent with 512x512. So, it all depends if everyone really likes the look of 400x600 over 512x512
Edit: Could this look like this because the file is too big?
Another Edit: sorry for wasting all your thinking time, I figured out why it looks like this.

Patricius

P.S. To post Images, under a 500 KB I think, push the attachment button on the reply message and browse on your computer for it and then push upload. Then push the attach button again and it should appear.

That is a wonderful mod! Thanks a lot! :goodjob:

SimCutie said:
I have written a small improved Great People mod with localized Great People names and custom option that you can turn on/off GP popup screen at your choice. Is any one interested in it? Then I will release it.
That would be great! :)

How are the new additions coming along?

Oh, and can I add this mod in a way that it will be loaded with the standard game (so that I don't have to load it as a separate mod)?

Some observations of erroneous pics in the original mod:

Al Razi is swapped with Abu Bakr
Andrei Sakharov uses Andrew Carnegie pic
Archimedes looks strange for an ancient Greek
Mimar Sinan.dds and Sinan.dds are identical - redundant?
St. Thomas and St. John are identical

Hi guys,

Heres a little update on what I finished so far.

Al Razi is swapped with Abu Bakr
Andrei Sakharov uses Andrew Carnegie pic
Archimedes looks strange for an ancient Greek
Mimar Sinan.dds and Sinan.dds are identical - redundant?
St. Thomas and St. John are identical

For Al Razi... the mix up was caused becuase Al-Razi's full name is Abu Bakr Mohammad Ibn Zakariya al-Razi. I have fixed this problem.
Fixed Andrei Sakharov
Archimedes's picture is just a Reneissance painter's idea of what he looked like.
Mimar Sinan is redundant and is not needed, only Sinan; I have fixed this.

Up to this point I have fixed the first 99 GP. It should take me a couple days more to finish the rest.

Patricius

Patricius said:
Wow we make a good team!:goodjob:

patricius
I have been unable to access my files the last few days, so I will send them over Monday.

SimCutie said:

I agree that 400X600 may look better. But Firaxis made Civ4 so we could modify it. Restricting this mod to 400X600 means only a select few with an expensive program (like photoshop) can modify it. Using 512x512 means nearly everyone can make changes to this mod, since there are free BMP-DDS converters.
People could then modify this to their own scenarios with their own Great People, like a fantasy mod, or a specific historical period, or even add/remove their favorite/offensive Great Person.
Simply put, making this 512x512 means it can be modified by all. I think that vastly outweighs any minor graphical differences, and I hope your mod will take that into account and use 512 also.

ostar said:
I agree that 400X600 may look better. But Firaxis made Civ4 so we could modify it. Restricting this mod to 400X600 means only a select few with an expensive program (like photoshop) can modify it. Using 512x512 means nearly everyone can make changes to this mod, since there are free BMP-DDS converters. .
Try this: http://www.gimp.org/about/

Banira said:
I have. To my understanding, there is a dds viewer, but not a dds modifier for gimp - at least I never found one. Please enlighten me if there is.
And my point still stands - gimp is not a well known program. Everyone has Paint, and there is a bmp-dds converter program listed here in the civ forums. Making this mod 512x512 means it has the widest availability and ease of use.

Banira said:
dds plugin for gimp: http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/

If you're using ms paint to edit images you don't deserve to have access to whatever it is you want

Hey thanks - I will check it out. I am not using Paint, but my point still stands. We shouldn't be elitists - making it 512X512 makes it available to the widest range of people to modify as they see fit.

Hey Guys,

I made some progress on the Mod but then I was struck down by a pretty bad bout of the flu. :nuke: I am not going to be able to work on the mod for a couple of days, but If anyone is willing to, I can give you the Pictures I used to construct each one and you can carry on until I am better. If anyone is interested, just say and I will post the Templates. For the font type I have used Book Antiqua, so make sure your photo editor has that font.

Patricius

Top Bottom