The Hermitage

50_dollar_bag

Imitation Louis Vuitton
I find I rarely build this national wonder, usually I can manage my cultural borders without it and unless I'm going cultural it sits in the city build options from the discovery of Nationalism to the end of the game.
So is there a better use for it? I think yes. It's building is sped up by marble so this will only be useful when you have marble available. Build it until it's one turn from completion in one city, then remove it from the queue and start it in another city, rinse and repeat. Do this as many times as you want then finally complete it somewhere and you'll get the cash rebate from all the unfinished builds in the other cities. At 300 hammers it's not going to take your cities too long to near it's completion.
The same can be done with the other national wonders like:
  1. oxford(stone)
  2. west point(stone)
  3. Mt rushmore(stone)
  4. National epic(marble)
  5. Heroic epic(marble)

:assimilate:
:backstab:
:cowboy:
:deadhorse:
:deal:
:faint:
:huh:
:hide:
:pat:
:sarcasm:
:splat:
:trouble:

if you dont build something for 10 turns the hamer will start decaying. So not relay abusable unless you got some insane production cities and not very abusable at that.

I do build this wonder, and tend to put it in a city thats being sandwiched by my rivals. it's quite useful - I've converted a few rival civs' cities over to me because of this beauty.

if you dont build something for 10 turns the hamer will start decaying. So not relay abusable unless you got some insane production cities and not very abusable at that.

hammer decay starts after 50 turns for buildings, and never starts for wonders.
This is really doable, although a bit useless.
I usually have better things to build than gold or wonders for gold.

If you're Industrious and have the resourse that can accelerate the construction of the wonder, the rate of conversion if missed is 1H = 4G, alot better than Wealth. Even if not Industrious,with the special resourse is 1H = 2G. It can be very useful.. by the way is the only reason that I can remenber to build Chitchen Itza.

Mount Rushmore I almost always build when I have the chance. Jails and Mount Rushmore beats relying on Police state, when you want the hammer from towns instead.

Of course, if you play for a cultural victory, this wonder is an absolute powerhouse.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Yes most of the time there is something better to build than a refunded wonder, but there's a time and a place for every strategy. So if you ever find yourself building wealth and have marble/stone try this.

Churr.

I also seldom end up building the Hermitage unless I am going for cultural victory. There just always seem to be more pressing priorities.

I typically build it in a city that does not have any National Wonders built in it. Only have 2 available slots for National Wonders, this is not exactly one of my fav's, especially if cultural victory is not on my top priorities for a winning condition ;) It does have its uses though, if you are trying to culture flip a nearby AI/Human city.

I once had marble and used Versailles, the Taj Mahal, the Hermitage, and the Globe Theater, among other culture generators to push back the borders of the captured German capital (I was the Zulu) while there were still German cities around. Worked pretty good - I don't know if it was the most efficient thing to do, though, because it took a long time.

I once had marble and used Versailles, the Taj Mahal, the Hermitage, and the Globe Theater, among other culture generators to push back the borders of the captured German capital (I was the Zulu) while there were still German cities around. Worked pretty good - I don't know if it was the most efficient thing to do, though, because it took a long time.
taking the surrounding german cities certainly is faster :)

If you're Industrious and have the resourse that can accelerate the construction of the wonder, the rate of conversion if missed is 1H = 4G, alot better than Wealth.

This is not true.

No it's not.
EDIT : correct values
It's 1H = 2,5 G. (100% normal production, +100% for special resource, +50% for industrious = 250% x 1 gold/ hammer invested)

But the thing is you still need to build the wonder to get the money.
So if the thing is of no worth to you, you will have something like 1H=1G for an industrious leader with the resource.
It gets better if you do multiple partial builds, but this is like "I need the money now, so I will build a useless wonder for 10 turns in 4 different cities, then start in a city that will finally finish it 20 turns later.
This gives you the money 60 turns later :crazyeye: .
IMHO building wealth now, even with a lesser output it is still superior, because you don't have to wait for half the game to get the benefit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_rolo1
If you're Industrious and have the resourse that can accelerate the construction of the wonder, the rate of conversion if missed is 1H = 4G, alot better than Wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
This is not true.

No it's not.
It's 1H = 5G. (100% normal production, +100% for special resource, +50% for industrious = 250% x 2 gold/ hammer invested)

But the thing is you still need to build the wonder to get the money.
So if the thing is of no worth to you, you will have something like 1H=2G for an industrious leader with the resource.
It gets better if you do multiple partial builds, but this is like "I need the money now, so I will build a useless wonder for 10 turns in 4 different cities, then start in a city that will finally finish it 20 turns later.
This gives you the money 60 turns later .
IMHO building wealth now, with a much lesser output is still superior, because you don't have to wait for half the game to get the benefit!
Sorry ... miscalculation. But my idea was exactly that one.

It's 1H = 5G. (100% normal production, +100% for special resource, +50% for industrious = 250% x 2 gold/ hammer invested)

Huh? Each hammer you work generates 2.5 hammers in the Hermitage (with +150% bonus). Then, when you complete the Hermitage, those hammers are converted 1:1 for gold. So the ratio is 2.5 to 1.

Why do you claim "2 gold/hammer invested"? This doesn't happen in my games.

Huh? Each hammer you work generates 2.5 hammers in the Hermitage (with +150% bonus). Then, when you complete the Hermitage, those hammers are converted 1:1 for gold. So the ratio is 2.5 to 1.

Why do you claim "2 gold/hammer invested"? This doesn't happen in my games.

Because I once had over 700 gold from missing the pyramids, and the pyramids only costs 500 hammers.
I may be mistaken, but i'm usually very near 0 gold, and when I'm suddenly so high, I notice it.

edit : the pyramids on Epic speed cost 750 hammers, that was my mistake. You're right, it's 1 G /hammer invested

Top Bottom