1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hundred Years' War

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Le Sage, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

this looks really good Le Sage. I'm gonna sit down and play this soon. Looks very impressive considering the dl is less than 4mb. :goodjob:

oh and you could just upload directly to civfanatics with less than 10mb, its probably a bit more reliable.

Shiggs

2. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Thank you, Shiggs. You get a thank you note in the ReadMe too, actually. You helped me solve an issue concerning tile improvements and how to insert new art for the forts. This community is excellent. I always try to solve problems by myself, but when I tire, I always get the help I need when posting on the forums.

I tried uploading it to CivFanatics about ten times, but it did not work. I got an upload error. There's obviously an issue, since I wrote a post about it on the "Feedback" forum and noticed that several others had the same problem. However, when the issue is solved, I will surely have it available on the CivFanatics server instead.

3. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

Ok, I tried a quick little game, it was fun, though I didn't finish all the way. I played as England, ended up taking Paris in 43 turns, I quit not too long after that. Its was an enjoyable scenario, I'll probably play around with it some more.

A few things to mention (you may already be aware):

-some of your buttons are missing the transparent part. If you have PS, its a really easy fix, if you follow ozzyKP's tutorial in the tutorial section. If not, and you only have a dozen or so, I could fix em up for you, I have PS.

- not sure if the AI is still directing wealth towards science, but it seems like it. At game start France had 200% espionage on me, it didn't take long for it to shrink to the point I could see everything going on in their empire. (less than 40 turns)

- the AI leaders need to be less concerned with culture and research and totally enveloped in military and production. Just some tweaks to the leaderheadInfos would be great.

- I had 3 golden ages by turn 43 (6 great people), seemed a bit too much. There's not much useful stuff for great people other than GA. Maybe lower great people rate or make more stuff for them to do other than join city or GA.

- the growth rates for cities is entirely too fast, and points are based off of population far too much. I was totally annihilating France, had even sacked their capitol, and still they led me in points by over 200.

All that said, it was really fun, and I think with some minor tweaks it could be even better.

Shiggs

4. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Thank you, Shiggs for your comments. They are much appreciated and I shall have them in mind when I do the update.

The buttons were really made in a haste, just cut resized and copied, and as something to use in the meantime. I will have the more Civ-standardized buttons - with the transparent borders - later on.

I checked the AI out, and found that they are indeed still researching, although nothing needs to be researched at all. I will have to do something about that. I wrote the bloke who made the little addition that lets me stop tech advance in the Middle Ages, but haven't received an answer yet. The add-on is also supposed to see to it that the AI stops directing resources towards research when everything is done on that front. Not even in Medieval France was mismanagement of funds that obvious.

Thank you again for your opinions. They are, and will be, very important! :)

5. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Checked out the 3.0 update: good show.

As an additional suggestion you might want to add a few cities (and yes, I know room is in short supply on the map) to spice things up. I reckon this will add a little nore difficulty too. ;)

6. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Thank you, Jeelen. I am planning to make a big map for some kind of super scenario as well. With loads of towns and cities and so and distances between. The small map kind of restricted me in these first scenarios, but I thought it adequate for a quick, fast-paced war game. And that's what it is - a war game. The super scenario will be more like traditional Civilization. :)

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Good plan! (The current map is a bit restrictive - and as I understood it the 100 Years War wasn't really fast-paced for most of the time.)

8. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

i read at wikipedia (dont now if it is true), that the king of Navarra Charles the Bad had some own claims to the French crown in 1358. Do you have some safe sources?

You could simply creat a new scenario for him on the same map, because i like that the map is not gigantic.

9. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yes. Charles of Navarre lay claims to the French throne himself. After Poitiers in 1356 he started a regular civil war in France against the Crown Prince Charles (who would later become Charles V). Navarre even allied with the rebels in Paris under Étienne Marcel and the English to defeat the French Crown Prince. That came to naught though, and the Crown Prince was the one who won out, and went on to become one of the greatest kings in French history.

I am currently working hard on a larger map, but I am having serious difficultues. I have been doing his all day and now have the basic form of France (not perfect even, but it will suffice) and a few rivers placed. That's it. I can't get into the map in-game either, since I made it in MapView and can't get the settlers and units to work. Therefore, when I open the map in the game, it tells me that "You have been defeated", since I have no units.

I obviously can't place units with MapView. Or rather, I have tried to do so, and in MapView they do show up, but they don't work in-game. This is the first and last map I'll ever be creating, since it's hard and not at all any fun. It has not been enjoyable and fun. It's tedious, irritating and hard. But I have to finish the damned thing, because there aren''t any ready-made big maps of France to be downloaded.

10. Manifold

Try to ad a unit by editing the wb-file with xml-editor.

11. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

or just place an obvious resource in mapview where you want your settlers, or whatever. Then with notepad++ search the WBS for those resources, and place settlers on those same tiles, or cities whatever you want.

12. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yes, mates!

I finally got it to work. I placed Paris, actually. In notepad. Then I just had to add my modded civs France, England Burgundy and Navarre, and voilà!

13. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Right. Here we are with Version 4 of The Hundred Years' War. This update has some tweaks, introduces a big campaign map and also involves a couple of new units.

The big campaign map will be needing some tweaks further on. I playtested four games as French and neither of those games were very exciting. I guess that is because the French have a unified kingdom and can mobilize greater armies than the English.

Try playing as the English or indeed as Burgundy or Navarre, for heightened action. The two minor kingdoms of Burgundy and Navarre are thus now playable on the big campaign map as well.

The file shouldn't be in moderation queue. I dunno what happened, but it seems it cleared the queue right away and I did not have to wait. Download here!

Jeanne d'Arc leads an army of Lancers. The Lancer units were created by Danrell and are new to release 4 of The Hundred Years' War.

14. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

Nice! I'll have to try out the new updates soon. So should we unpack this on top of the old mod folder or delete the old one then unpack? Anyhow, I did a little something for you, take this and put it in your mod folder. Then instruct people to drag and drop it (optional) onto their desktops when they download your mod. Its just a shortcut to make the mod autostart without having to use any utilities or start normal civ4 and load mod the traditional way. ;) you can even change the icon if you want.

actually I thought about it, I forgot I have Vista, you may need to edit the target path, and I guess it may not work for everyone. My stuff defaulted to program files(x86) so you would just probably need to delete the (x86) part if your not using Vista.

15. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yo! Thanks, Shiggs! Actually, I have an own icon on my desktop, but I actually never thought about including it with the mod! I have my Civ installed on drive D:, and needed to edit the shortcut a tad.

I'll include your icon with the next update! It's coming soon, since I need to get tweaking AI and do minor updates from now on.

Yes! The new files should overwrite the old ones. So just drag and drop the new folder to the old one in Mods and choose overwrite where asked.

:crazyeye:

16. Manifold

and please fit this line in your wb-files in the next version:

...Description=
    ModPath=Mods\Hundred Years' War\
    EndGame....

i love to start a mod with dobbleclick, thanks

17. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Stupid me didn't do English playtesting on the new map. The English have no horses on their home island! They have horses down south in Guyenne, but no pasture.

Here's the updated map with horses for England!

Embarrassing. The horses will be included with the next update as well. Download the updated map and install it over the old one in your Hundred Years' War/PublicMaps folder! Sorry for the hassle.

If you're playing the English, you can still use the old map and could always build that pasture in Guyenne yourself or simply capture towns with horses. But it's unequal and wrong.

And I just published Update 4.1. For those who downloaded the 4.0. version, there's no panic to download 4.1. The link to the updated map is here above. 4.1. just adds that map to the package and also adds an icon that will start The Hundred Years' War from the desktop if configured a bit. It also updates all the scenario files with the proper ModPath. So there.

18. Manifold

i just take a try with england, but i dont notice the lack of horses. i build some workers and Archer in the first rounds. also i did not know the warship art, looks very nice.

Here is another inspiration for your mod: the blind king of bohemia, ruler of luxemburg. i suggest a teutonic knight art.

19. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

I have been thinking a bit on expanding the theme a bit too. Making a Hundred Years War II, if you will. It would include all of Medieval Europe around the Hundred Years' War time period.

Much exciting stuff happened throughout Europe in those days; things I cannot include - or have chosen to leave out of this mod. Like the Greast Schism within the Catholic Church, the Danish era of greatness with expansion and the creation of a de facto Nordic Union, the fall of Constantinople in 1435, the war between Christians and Moors in Spain, Scottish insurgencies, Baltic wars, the Holy Roman Empire...

Geez. Look out for a Hundred Years' War II. First, I have something else in the works. It's only a little fantasy mod which should be ready for the launch soon.

20. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Known Issue: France has no Capital. How ever did that happen? As it is, the French player needs to build a palace in one of the French cities. Preferably Paris. The problem has been corrected and will be available with the next update...