The Hundred Years' War

Thank you, AnotherPacifist, for some good points and suggestions that are very valuable. I will indeed implement many of your ideas; increasing the English longbowman's strength in dealing with knights, among other things.

The religion-founding-bit is a problem. I thought I had removed it with update to Version 2.0., and will have to look it over again. It really does sound weird and irritating when "Buddhism has been founded in Luxembourg".

The vassalage of Burgundy to the English in 1429 was intended though.

Thanks again for some good ideas and points. You have been most helpful.

Also, some of the traits like industrious and expansive are just plain useless. (no wonder it took Charles to get back at the English) Philosophical is OK because it'll allow a great engineer to build Heroic Epic, but other than aggressive/protective traits are almost useless. If anybody is charismatic it should be Henry V.
It may be better to try to replace the traits with some akin to a Unique Power (e.g. for Henry V it could be something like temporary gain in strength if you lose a battle, while for his opponent Charles it could be something like troops will join you spontaneously from time to time for patriotism).

Yep. The traits are in the works too. Right now, I'm trying to solve the problem with the founding of religions. I could live with Islam in Navarre or Judaism, but Buddhism and Taoism isn't proper. I also need to disable the Great Spy, since he keeps founding Scotland Yard, and perhaps the same destiny should befall the Great Prophet. Things like that.

Keep the great spy, I like to open city gates with spies.

Very well. Just for you then :p

I just removed his ability to erect that lovely Scotland Yard skyscraper. Otherwise, he's still there.

Here's an extra for you all. I call it the Burgundy Scenario. The year is 1435 and Burgundy has just broken it's alliance with England. Mercenaries are flocking to the Duchy as Philip the Good builds his army. Now the time has come for Burgundy to take it's rightful role in history. Will that happen on the side of France or England, or will Burgundy perhaps end up fighting them both?

In real history, Burgundy finally attacked and tried to take Calais, and failed. However, the Duchy was strong and existed and thrived well beyond the Hundred Years' War period. Just put the World Builder-file in your Hundred Years' War, Public Maps folder and start the game as usual.

This file will be incorporated into the coming update 3.0. too, as well as a few other new scenarios as well.

Download the Burgundy Scenario here.

:eek: awesome! I will test this asap (as France seeing as everyone is playing our dear invaders :D), but from the pics it looks just great!

off topic:
1) I always thought that the french problem was english massive use of pikes, not LBs, someone knows about it?
2) Are you sure Burgundy was an english vassal? I thought they were french princes (dukes was their title) that rebelled? (but not england vassal, even if allied)
3) This reminds me the beginning of Europa universalis 2 great campaign (tx you Le Sage !!!)...

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

edit: and now another scenario! OMG!
edit2: it's prolly too late, but you could rename Normandie into Caen (city name, Normandie being the province), and Burgundy into Anvers or Bruxelles (though it would have been best to put the capital in burgundy - east of Orleans, north of Lyon- and call it Dijon)... but it still looks really really great! :)

France was an extremely disparate country in the Middle Ages. The King of France openly coveted Burgundy and up until 1200 AD or so, the Norman English owned a huge chunk of what is now France.

Rrraskolnikov. Yes. The English Longbow made all the difference in the Hundred Years' War. The longbowmen were concentrated in great divisions and when they let loose their arrows over charging packs of heavily armoured knights, it was like death reaining down. The longbowmen literally shot down the era of chivalry and crowned infantry king of the battlefield.

In the scenarios I use the term vassalage quite lightly. It mostly just means "ally" in my mod. Burgundy was indeed formed by the French, but soon took on own political roles. The Duchy existed at the side of the French Royal house Valois, the Dukes being relatives of the French kings.

It was Burgundians who captured Jeanne d'Arc and turned her over to the English.

Arakhor. An interesting detail about the Normans is that they themselves were invaders. They were initially Vikings who settled at the Seine Delta, and were given land by the Frankish king who only wanted them to stop pillaging his country. The word Norman comes from "Nordman", or "Man of the North" - "Norseman". A similar Viking kingdom was founded on Sicily of all places.

@Arakhor: the Plantagenet family right?

@Le Sage: tx for the clarifications!

edit: will definately look for Jonathan Sumption's book :)
edit2 : tx Arakhor too. Crazy Normans... France, Sicilia, England... does the list ends? (I seem to recall early russian tribes came from scandinavia too)

I know that the Normans invaded France first :)

The early Angevins, yes. Henry II was the son of Empress Mathilda and and his wife Eleanor of Acquitaine was the daughter-in-law (and heir) of Geoffrey of Anjou, who owned more land than the King of France, Louis VII. Henry's family became known as the Plantagenets because of their family symbol, the planta genista.

A Screenshot from the latest scenario (The Burgundy Scenario) is a nice way to start the day. The troops of the Duchy of Burgundy are on the march. The latest scenario is the only one that lets you play Burgundy.

There seems to be something wrong with the download link. I hope it is only temporary. Has FileFront crashed completely or?

Edit: Now it works again and you can download the mod. There was something temporary with it.

Just for the heck of it. Some screenshots of the Hundred Years' War mod taken in Flying Camera View.

1. Jeanne d'Arc looks the part.
2. Watching over the rooftops of a French frontier town.
3. Welcome to Bustling Medieval Paris. Look! There's Notre Dame.
4. The Deer in the forest couldn't care less that there's a bloody war on.
5. Viewing over the Channel into enemy territory. Looks dark and rainy as usual.
6. A French countryside castle.

Im going to try this, great idea for a mod, I dont know the units yet but Im going to suggest that archers behind castles should be very tough and I think res. to bombard damage as in real history many sieges came down to waiting for people to starve to death,lol. High bombard damage really negates how tough good archers were to kill as they could see and move out of the way of stones, cows, dung, ect. that they flung at the castle. It wouldnt be beyond reason for archers to inflict a little coll. damage as well with a good chance to survive attacks. Imaging a seige and your forces are always taking arrows with no chance to really hit the person firing, of course shields and armor could keep that down some.

Yes, try it, Dreadknought. I am currently working on Version 3.0., and it should be ready very soon. Then, I guess unit tweaking to perfection is what remains. But 3.0. is pretty much the final version.

Excellent, Soleil! That makes me happy!

Top Bottom