1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Iliad

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PitBoss Games' started by Bolkonski, May 14, 2007.

1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

You spoke too soon as the game is down.

2. karayanev

karayanev Chieftain

Yes game is down again :(

3. Bolkonski

Bolkonski Prince Bolkonsky

:ack: I am truly sorry about all this. Unfortunately I do not know what the problem is. :confused: Nonetheless I have done a complete reboot and have restarted the game using the previous save; 605 AD. Inevitably some, including myself, will have to retake their turns. Hopefully the reboot will solve the problem.

This time I am not going to count my chickens... :shake: or have any beers... yet!

Bolkonsky. ;)

4. whiplash_CDC

whiplash_CDC King

I just played the turn with no problems.

5. karayanev

karayanev Chieftain

Game is down again guys

6. Bolkonski

Hi All,

This is frustrating for me as it is for you. :crazyeye:

I wonder if these problems have been caused by upgrading BtS to the latest version, which apparently changes the CVgameCoreDLL.dll file.

If any of you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them. Until we can sort this out the game will remain down.

Regards,

Bolkonsky. ;)

7. karayanev

karayanev Chieftain

Well we should talk to oob - he may have a solution for us

8. the oob

the oob Retired PTBS host

I can temporarily host the game if needed, it's a bit of a hassle for me though so I'm only willing to do it if it means we avoid extended (ie. more than a month) downtime.

9. Bolkonski

OK. I prefer not to leave players with uncertainty. There have been too many recent crashes and in all likelihood if I restart the game I think this will happen again. As I will not have reliable Internet access for the next two weeks so I think it best if I just leave the game down. After that I can give it my full attention and sort out the problems. :crazyeye:

FYI The only recent change on the server was the upgrade of BtS to v3.13, which I have not used; it just resides there for the future. The only change in the game was he departure of JMaltman and the arrival of Darius Silva.

Again, if any have ideas as to the cause of the problem they would be welcome. I am mystified. :confused:

Bolkonsky. ;)

10. whiplash_CDC

whiplash_CDC King

I don't know what you mean by saying you upgraded to 3.13 but don't use it. Did you do a duel install? If so, I would try running the 3.13 version.

11. Maydrock

Maydrock Prince

I have a dual install and use both versions (because I keep forgetting which version to use for the various MP games I am in) and I haven't had any problems playing my civ on any of them. I feel fairly confident saying for PB games I don't think it matters.

I wonder if it is possible for a virus to migrate through these games?

12. the oob

In theory yes, but I think it would have to be designed specifically for pitboss, which is unlikely.

13. Maydrock

Maydrock Prince

It just seems to me this whole site/game is a perfect place for people to come whom have finished their first couple introductory progamming courses. This is like the next step up and it's free tutelage.

14. Bolkonski

The server is dedicated to this game; a Warlords game. BtS is also installed on the server and upgraded to 3.13. There is not a dual installation. TheBtS is installed for future use; i.e. a new Pitboss game.

When BtS was upgraded to v.3.13 a dll file was changed which affects our game.

15. Bolkonski

I will run a virus scan, although I doubt that a virus is causing the problem.

16. WarningU2

WarningU2 Prince

I host a Warlords game with the new BTS on the same machine. Occassionally the game hiccups for unknown reasons. It did it before BTS and after.

I've gotten in the habit of recycling the game and the machine on at least a weekly basis and unexpected outages are minimal.

Every game I am in goes down at times where people are unable to connect - its the nature of the beast. You bounce the machine and everyone is playing again.

If you are waiting for a 100% connectivity or an explanation why you hiccup, I don't think you'll find it. A virus ? I doubt it. In all likelihood your ISP had a problem a couple of times. Can we just start the game up again please? I was really enjoying this game and I for one (at least) am willing to accept an occassional outage rather than not play at all.

If it continues to fail then perhaps it is your ISP or your home with a larger problem. Have you contacted them to inquire if there are problems? Can they run a trace on your line to see if you are losing packets? Is your modem extremely hot? I've had them burn out before and have to be replaced? Has there been any construction in your area? I think you need to contact your ISP provider.

17. whiplash_CDC

whiplash_CDC King

I am on my third cable modem. As a matter of fact, I just installed a new one last Tuesday. I try to extend the life of the things by running a fan blowing on it; but they are damn fragile. The last one lasted only 6 months. My ISP hands over a new modem anytime I return the old one. Modem burnout is more frequent when running a 24/7 server.

Check this out.

18. Wittlich

Wittlich Warlord

I too am with Warning on this - Bolkonski, please do a restart of the game and get it up and running again.

I am also hosting a PitBoss game - Apolyton Gathering - and yes, there are some hic-ups (mainly GameSpy since it is an Internet Game) - but these disconnects have been basically put up with.

Quite frankly, I do not see the reason in bringing the entire game down for this long (and probably longer since you are looking for a definitive answer - *hint* there isn't one)...

So I guess what I am asking is if this game will be hosted by you or not? (ie, is it DEAD or ALIVE)

If you are still planning on hosting it: Please give us a time frame as to when you will have it back up - or at least TRY to bring it back up.

If you are NOT planning on hosting this game: Please give us the decency of letting us all know that you are throwing in the towel.

I am sorry about being so blunt, but I am a man of few words and wish to have the information right up front from the get-go.

I cannot speak for others, but I would believe that they would want the same treatment. ;)

19. the oob

I suggest bringing it back up when you return from your holiday.

20. Wittlich

Wittlich Warlord

Ahhh, I over looked Bolkonski's post about the game being down for 2 weeks...so just ignore my last rant/post. :blush: :lol: