The inner workings of resistance revealed

u say thier is no point in having more troops then resistors but if u have more troops thiers a less likely chance of a culture flip, zachrial sees this idea diffently, He says: "Combat flips occur when a city population destroys the garrison, taking the city. Surprisingly, even a few ground units in the garrison greatly reduce the chance of a flip. To prevent flips (almost) completely in recently acquired cities, you should have one or even two units in the garrison per population. During resistance, the garrison should be doubled", so who is correct here?

NewDestroyer,

If you look at the actual numbers required to stop a flip, they can be quite large.

Put some values in my FlipCalc, allowing the AI to have greater local culture and a culture ratio of about 2 to 1. You can see that for a newly captured city (size 9, 6 resisters, 2 tiles under their infulence) the required numbers to stop a flip can be huge:

Originally posted by NewDestroyer
u say thier is no point in having more troops then resistors but if u have more troops thiers a less likely chance of a culture flip, zachrial sees this idea diffently, He says: "Combat flips occur when a city population destroys the garrison, taking the city. Surprisingly, even a few ground units in the garrison greatly reduce the chance of a flip. To prevent flips (almost) completely in recently acquired cities, you should have one or even two units in the garrison per population. During resistance, the garrison should be doubled", so who is correct here?
It all depends, and I probably didn't make myself clear enough.

As anarres pointed out, the number of units required in the city can be very large. Sometimes it's even more than 200. However, if you and the other civ have the same amount of culture or if you have more than them, and there are just a few foreign citizens (remember to not have them work the land, to minimize the chance of flipping), you may only need a few units to have a 0% chance of culture flip. Of course, if you only need a few units to stop a culture flip, there probably aren't too many resistors anyway, so just a few units would match just the few resistors.

Basically, what I was pointing out is that for resistance purposes, there's no point in having more units than the number of resistors. This may not sound very useful, because you're probably not just worried about resistance, but the thing is that you need units all the time in that city to minimize the chance of a flip (or at least until the foreign citizens become your nationality), whereas you only need units in that city for a few turns to quell the resistors. Unless you have hordes of units that aren't going to be used to move on to the next city, it might not be worth it to keep a lot there in that city to minimize flipping, so you can sort of "only worry about resistance." If that makes any sense. (I've even confused myself!)

Actually I've found out in some tests that it Is useful to have more units than citizens if the citizens have a chance of continuing to resist

This is because, the chance is NOT the chance that a population unit will continue to resist but the chance that a military unit will not successfully quell a resisting population unit. 'Every' military unit in a city will try to quell a resister once a turn as long as there resisters left in the city.

ie If the total probability of continuing to resist (from culture and government) is 50% in a city with 10 resisters and 5 military units, each military unit wil try and have a ~50% chance of succeeding of making a resister stop resisting, so you get an average of ~2-3 a turn.

However if you have ~20 military units, you will probably get the entire city to stop resisting in a single turn.

(this was in a test mod where I was testing the effect of the number of citizens quelled by military, it was set to 10, I had a city of 100 resisters (no possibility of growth or starvation, it didn't have a 'Hospital' and each terrain gave ~10 food) the chance of a citizen continuing to resist from culture was 70, and governments gave 0 modifier)

100 resisters with 10 units (100 quellers) = ~30 resisters quelled as expected
100 resisters with 25 units (250 quellers)= ~70 resisters quelled (and the resistance ends on the second turn)

So the quelling process is ONLY based on the number of quellers (military units) Not the number of resisters [with the exception that you can't quell past the number of resisters]

so the max number that are useful per pop unit depends on the ability of the pop to continue to resist

Continuing resistance%-Units/citizen expected to end the resistance in 1 turn
90%-10
80%-5
70%-3
60%-2.5
50%-2
40%-1.5
30%-1.4
20%-1.25
10%-1.1

I think the point is that a city might not culture flip even with 0 units, but it will never get rid of resisters without units. so if you to a campaign of conquest and leave no units in the city

An exelent job indeed.;)
And you are right about resistors I hate them more than anything(even the enemy army) because my troops are useless when i quell a resistance.
At least when i'm fighting I'm having fun but when I'm killing resistors and starving ''inocent''citicens It's something I do because I have to.
Your article deserves a place in the Academy!:)

Top Bottom