The Inquisition (69)

Regentman, you are in, I now wait for SAAM to post his.

From the Desk of SaaM

My deputy brings up an apocalyptic tale of woe about loosing iron and loosing horses and being invaded. To this, I say phooey. Fanatannia will have the resources it needs. I first bring notice to our terrain, which is rich with hills and grasslands. For all we know, we may have already found where our Iron and Horses are. Granted, this is a speculation, but so is everything RegentMan says. How do we not know that Iron resides in the hills of the gold and the river? How do we can be raised as a counter to this, yes, but how do we not?

We have discovered our nearest neighbor to be the Indians. We have Gandhi as our neighbor. He has already started going for random techs, but he is a TRADING PARTNER. We have someone to trade with once we gain our techs. And by the looks of it, we two are not the only ones here. I personally feel we may be on a continent or a pangea. This, of course, means more people to trade with.

My deputy also dismisses the philosophy gambit as a worthless trick. He wants to go for the first tier of techs, then Iron Working. This is precisely what the AI does. It cleans up vertically, and then goes horizontal. We want to beat them to the punch! This will serve as an excellent way to propel us further.

Trade is the lifeblood of this game. We already have a trading partner. Soon, we will be in the works for our second city. This will increase our profits, as well as increase our chances of happening upon resources. And you never know. The iron could be in those previously mentioned mountains.

I cannot offer a gloom and doom scenario like my deputy. He is the naysayer in this case. I can offer polling data pointing to a 23/5/0 majority in favor of pursuing this path. The people want it. The people would like to see us pursue it and my job is to follow their whims. So be it. They shall be listened to.

The Plan:
Head to Philosophy, presumably grab Map Making as our freebie, turn around and trade it (it not being the free tech gained, but Philo and Writing) for as many prior techs as we can (including Iron, Wheel and HBR). Continue on with our free tech and build The Great Lighthouse. End the age ahead thanks to smart thinking. This is how we win; by planning and taking risks.

Plus, it’s a game. Lets have fun.

SaaM

In tune with A440

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
My deputy brings up an apocalyptic tale of woe about loosing iron and loosing horses and being invaded. To this, I say phooey. Fanatannia will have the resources it needs. I first bring notice to our terrain, which is rich with hills and grasslands. For all we know, we may have already found where our Iron and Horses are. Granted, this is a speculation, but so is everything RegentMan says.
Well, I'd rather have my speculation than yours. If we follow mine, we will be basically guaranteed horses and iron. Your speculation is merely a fantasy that will lead us down the tube without resources. You assume that Fanatannia will have all of the resources it needs. How can you say that? Granted, both are only possibilities. However, your possibility is dangerous, as it makes us assume that we have the iron and horses. We cannot assume this. Tanks beat spearmen every time, right?

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
How do we not know that Iron resides in the hills of the gold and the river?
Different resources rarely spawn next to each other. You won't see gold next to iron. That's why I want to be certain that we have this valuable resource. There's probably only one source in that mountain range. I want to know where it is and claim it before Gandhi does.

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
We have someone to trade with once we gain our techs.
Writing and philosophy will only get us so far. We won't get all of the techs we need by trading these two. We'll get some, but Gandhi will have our two, plus all of his. I fail to see how this propels us into the tech lead.

Stuck_As_a_Mac said:
My deputy also dismisses the philosophy gambit as a worthless trick. He wants to go for the first tier of techs, then Iron Working. This is precisely what the AI does. It cleans up vertically, and then goes horizontal. We want to beat them to the punch! This will serve as an excellent way to propel us further.
If another AI researches a tech, then that tech will be cheaper for us. Right now, spending fifty turns researching writing while they spend ten or fifteen turns getting others, we'll fall behind even further. Please read my previous answer.

So you see, the Consul of Resources and Technology is assuming that we have iron in the nearby mountain range. Any experienced Civ III player knows that you cannot assume anything in this game. I would rather have my "gloom and doom scenario" than your "oh, everything will be okay" story. World War I was assumed to end all wars. Look what happened.

It is true that the majority of the people want to proceed with the philosophy gambit. I pray it works, otherwise we will have wasted such valuable time researching a tech path that won't aid us. Risks should be taken; unnecessary risks, such as the philosophy gambit, should not.

Sorry, the happy trio took some of my precious energies, and I barely got enough for my work, novel, the ISDG and Judiciary.

Top Bottom