The "joke unit" is totally imbalanced

They are just game enders, that is it. It keeps you from getting to Future Tech 99.
No .. according to firaxis they are needed for game balance and taking them out would unbalance the game ... :D

Fly on the wall at test meeting ...

Tester:
"These endgames are ridiculous, we have a map full of units on every single tile, no stack move commands, and it'd take Kasparov to even understand the tactical situation even if it was physically possible to control it."

Shafer:
"Yeah I see your point dude, what we need is something that can simplify things again and cut through the chaff, some kind of ... uh, I dunno, some kind of giant death robot or something."

Tester:
"Wouldn't that be unbalanced?"

Shafer:
"Think of it like a penalty shootout at the end of soccer game, somebody has to win but all the players are exhausted and it's just cruel to let it carry on".

Tester:
"Yeah I get it, you rock man, the GDR is a righteous idea! The Civ Fanatics are gonna love it too, they have such a great sense of humour!"

Fly on the wall:
"zzzzzz .. uh-oh .. zzzzzzz"

Haha, I like it. Probably not too far from the truth, either.

I don't mind the GDRs as a concept. I really do see this as an AI problem, rather than a game balance issue. If one of the posters above is right, and it's killable by 2-3 tanks, I don't see what the issue is.

I havent got to GDR`s myself, but I can assure you that if theres a problem it lies in the AI not trying to win games, not with the joke unit itself.

@ ahriman - yeah i had same thoughts. "It's OK son, here, take this, you can finish em up now" -love CIV dad.

Yeah it is pretty nice. I had a drawn out game that went way long and I got the GDRs, bought some and I was plowing my way to my enemy's capitol and we were finally done.

It wouldn't surprise me that many game designers grew up watching a lot of Japanese cartoons with massive mech warriors.

Come to think of it, how do you take down a death robot with Bushido?

I would also like to note that they should have a feature where the GDR has a chance of going rouge and destroying everything it sees.

It wouldn't surprise me that many game designers grew up watching a lot of Japanese cartoons with massive mech warriors.

Come to think of it, how do you take down a death robot with Bushido?

This i worry about, they take out full cities in one hit at max health, Im not 100% if they apply bushido but they definately shouldnt

I just want to point out that artillery do have an upgrade path - I believe it's to rocket artillery. And riflemen/infantry upgrade to mechanized infantry.

IMO they're needed because 1UPT stalemates all the military action in gridlocked maps by the modern era. So to extrapolate from Greg's words, "needed for game balance" probably means "needed to address the problem of everlasting game balance, by deliberately introducing imbalance". In which case complaining that the GDR is totally imbalanced is missing the point of it.

Yeah, but isn't that what nukes are for? Strategic nukes that don't have to be hauled to the frontline to be fired???

Good point, I haven't tried nukes yet but they look pretty powerful too.

My point was that the original quote referring to game balance didn't explicitly say the GDR *added* to game balance, just that it was to do with game balance. Might have just been BS, but if so it was good BS, conforming to the golden rule. I.e. be vague :)

I'm not sure if being able to purchase GDRs is balanced or not balanced.

What I am sure of is a game against awful AI that hordes 12k gold is not a game that can determine whether the mechanics are balanced. Diplomacy isn't really broken either other than it's more of an economic victory. The issue is again that the AI is awful. I still really enjoy playing Civ 5 but this terrible AI definitely degrades the experience.

Compare Civ 4's AI at release to how it was a year after release. It got better 10 fold. The same will happen here, just give it some time. I think they have the base mechanics and purpose for the AI that will eventually become vastly superior to civ 4's present AI.

Good point, I haven't tried nukes yet but they look pretty powerful too.

My point was that the original quote referring to game balance didn't explicitly say the GDR *added* to game balance, just that it was to do with game balance. Might have just been BS, but if so it was good BS, conforming to the golden rule. I.e. be vague :)

Oh, no, I totally got what you were saying....just meant that even if the GDR was justified internally as being for game balance, that means they were missing the point of another unit that they nerfed somewhat (the nuke.)

Personally, I think that it was thrown in just because it was deemed to be 'cool', and an in-game justification for it (if any) was ret-conned later.

Skynet
Requires: Computers, Robotics, Nuclear Fission, Manhattan Project
1500 :hammers:
Immediately draws the game - everyone loses! Except the robots.

Missing one key ingredient: Arnold's robotic arm, as retrieved from City Ruins.

Top Bottom