1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

The "joke unit" is totally imbalanced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by pi-r8, Sep 30, 2010.

1. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

It's only 1700 gold with big ben. Without it, I guess 2000. And yeah, you could win a diplo victory with that gold, but that's because the diplo victory is incredibly broken and imbalanced. You shouldn't be able to buy up half the votes and win the game for such a paltry sum of gold.

Sell 200gpt for 4000 gold -> declare war -> free 4000 gold.

2. Earthling

Earthling Deity

The answers here are fixed to what the majority of posters on the forums actually posted. Apparently it was believed the game was designed and the developers intended for the answers to be as above.

3. charon2112

charon2112 King

my last GDR died after getting hit by 2 or 3 tanks. they don't have that many hit points.

4. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

they have the same hit points as everything else. Did they have bonuses? regular tanks should have trouble even damaging the GDR. It's a bigger strength difference than a warrior attacking a longsword.

5. Surgeon

Surgeon Warlord

Im guessing GDr's have 10 hit points. Just a hunch.

6. Numi

Numi Chieftain

I find it ridiculous that someone can believe that from the start the AI can be BETTER with 1upt then without. Its like, without 1upt playing chess is like an open board with 1 pawn on either side and you just have to aim for the other pawn, as opposed to with 1upt its a whole filled chessboard that has to be navigated, and believe with expansions and mods and such AI will be improved.

You can beeline for where ever you please, whether you can get there is dependent on the obstacles.

On topic: Only time i've seen a GDR was when i purposely prolonged things just to try it out. I also accidentally got to close to one of my nukes with it and it got hit quite a bit, i would say a couple would wipe it out.

Also: "Sell 200gpt for 4000 gold -> declare war -> free 4000 gold."
    That's the second exploit you have mentioned using so far. So instead of saying how easy it is to get gold and kill with other abuses, play legit. In Civ 4 "this game is so easy because i can just plop down 10 nukes and kill everyone, the AI is dumb, why don't they do that"

7. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

Well you can get the same resul by just saving up gold while you're researching them. 200gpt means you can buy one every 8 turns, whereas it takes 20 turns to build a regular tank. And what's the first exploit I mentioned?

8. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

Just curious, why is there a bluish tint to your screenshot? :confused:

9. HailoArrows

HailoArrows Chieftain

Did they ask this about the nuke in WWII?

10. Myllor

Myllor Chieftain

Only difference here is that everybody knows the limits of society, the limits of weaponry, and exactly how much time and resources will net you them.

So in many ways it's very different from 'asking about nukes' in WWII.

I actually agree with him, racing towards GDR on Earth, Continents, Pangaea, etc with tons of land is the only valid strategy, given equal time and resources.

11. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

CivV saves screenshots in tga format, which I can't open, so I used a program to convert them to jpgs. unfortunately that produces the blue tint for some reason.

12. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

Have you checked the config.ini? Would be strange if you can't change screenshot format there.

But thanks for sharing this pir-8. Haven't tried GDRs yet, but it looks like space victory (the thing that should be at the end of the tech tree) is obsolete :\ 4 GDRs to beat a big deity-AI doesn't sound good, but I guess some players find it "incredible cool" to totally wreck AIs with an über-unit.

13. dalowrider

dalowrider Chieftain

Usually by end game it is largest continent civ vs largest civ on other continent. when this is the case you just need a strong navy to not see any gdrs on your turf. The AI actually sank one of mine this way, with a frigate!

still got him with the other 2 knocking on the door:D

14. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

BS.

The majority of people who get into whinefests with you before release != the majority of us who realized that doing so was pointless. I do not believe that significant numbers of people thought any of these things. You are creating a straw man. Otherwise, post links.

Serious posters understood that 1upt would be tough for the AI. It wasn't supposed to fix the AI, it was supposed to fix the dull, tedious warfare that involved little decision making.

And how on earth, pray tell, is the ability to have a war that focuses on a capital related to 1upt? You can do that with a stack, too!!

15. Lebowski89

Lebowski89 Chieftain

GDR's ruin the game for me since my favourite tech is modern and I really don't play this game to run around with robots or any other possible future stuff. I use that mod that removes them. I like to have a long game in the modern era where the top of the game is units that actually exist and nukes are the big daddy.

Only GDR I have used I lost when the AI took the city back that I had him stationed in.

16. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

:spear: But is it a bigger difference than a spearman attacking a tank????? :spear:

17. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Fly on the wall at test meeting ...

Tester:
    "These endgames are ridiculous, we have a map full of units on every single tile, no stack move commands, and it'd take Kasparov to even understand the tactical situation even if it was physically possible to control it."

Shafer:
    "Yeah I see your point dude, what we need is something that can simplify things again and cut through the chaff, some kind of ... uh, I dunno, some kind of giant death robot or something."

Tester:
    "Wouldn't that be unbalanced?"

Shafer:
    "Think of it like a penalty shootout at the end of soccer game, somebody has to win but all the players are exhausted and it's just cruel to let it carry on".

Tester:
    "Yeah I get it, you rock man, the GDR is a righteous idea! The Civ Fanatics are gonna love it too, they have such a great sense of humour!"

Fly on the wall:
    "zzzzzz .. uh-oh .. zzzzzzz"

18. He-Who-Hunts

He-Who-Hunts 2nd Legionary Cohort

There should be an advanced option to turn off the GRD

19. King Sausage

King Sausage Chieftain

There is a mod to remove the GDR. Seem to remember it being one of the first available.

20. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Curious. People have noted winning by ~turn 100 on diety using CCs. Why wait another 200 turns?