1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Mayans

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ision, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Optional

Optional Deity

Welcome to the forums, Nergal! Decent observations.

2. Lord Templar

Lord Templar Chieftain

Indeed. While the Blood Cult and Rites of the mayans were bad, we must remember there amazing technological acheivments. Like their calnder is hundreds of good things in one. The calander was FAR more acurate than the Julian Calandar at the time and , get this, the end of the word will be in 2024. Or so they say. They were master astronmers who made water clocks, but mostly sun clocks. All very accurate. And the real culprit with the Sacrifical Rites was the aztecs. They only went to war to get sacrificial people. They killed around 20,000 people one day. If you just wont play them play Inca. They had not to many mass killings and the traits and UU are better than they seem.:king: [pimp] :ar15: :deadhorse: :spear:

3. Lord Templar

Lord Templar Chieftain

You think? I remember a time I played as them. Mostly Desert or flood plain. One city on irigated flood plain was waitin for a hospital in the early ancient times. And one grew past size 12 in the middle ages.

4. MAS

MAS Deity

@Lord Templar

Let me guess: that city growing past size 12 in the middle ages has the Shakespeare's Theatre great wonder?

PS: to everyone: this thread is old, I think we should let it die.

5. Lord Templar

Lord Templar Chieftain

No way. I almost never do democracy and stuff. It was so big i had marketplace bank and temple but thats it.

6. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

I thought it was 12/21/12?

And this post brought to you by SPAM, the delicious treat, Crazy Tasty!

7. Lord Templar

Lord Templar Chieftain

From the article i read, It was 2024. i dont know.

8. axehaxe

axehaxe Prince

The Mayans (1st place) are better than the Greeks (which are second place for best civs) which are better than the Vikings (3rd place) which are better than the Dutch (4th) which are better than most other civs not mentioned.

The Agri trait is fairly strong plus Industrious - the king of all traits - makes the Mayans entirely unstoppable.

It doesn't matter whether their unique unit sucks or not because their traits overwhelm everything. The JT in my opinion is a decent unit. When I attack with them, they will travel across mountains to the target giving them a 4 defense value all the way through.

9. Nergal

Nergal Prince

I think that must be assuming you always have mountains to get to your target. In a lot of games I play I do find the Mayans are usually well up the score ladder, but not always. Its mostly dependent on terrain, that seems to be the case with most civs. The Egyptians seem to either rocket ahead or lurk at the bottom depending on their start point. I've laid waste to the Mayans with Celtic swordsmen which are a way better UU. I think they actually scored a total of 46 points before descending into oblivion. At the moment I'm playing mostly random games, inching my way towards monarch level, contemplating a mod or two and learning about the variety of the game as it develops.

10. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

My main problem with the JT is that you lose the defensive freeshot and it can be a pain to have a despotic GA. If you get IW and iron or HBR and Horses, it works out fine, but if you don't you won't have a choice, you will have to use JT's as your offensive weapon. Otherwise, I adore the free slaves from barb farming, having many slaves can really boost your nation.

11. GuitarHero

GuitarHero Caligula II

The Mayans are okay, but a real early-game powerhouse is the Persians.