• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The most progressive country in the world

Regarding a preference to state school pupils with the same academic results over private/public school pupils I also think that is also ethical. A state school pupil will have had far less resources spent on them to reach the same academic results as a private/public school pupil and so it is likely that they will surpass private/public school pupil at university.

Well, the admissions departments (I worked in a school for a while, and although I wasn't technically a teacher I ended up being privy to a lot of exams/university issues from the kids) aren't supposed to just favour state over private, but they do make allowances for people whose education has clearly been substandard or interrupted. Some public schools aren't much, if at all, better than the local state school from a purely results-based outlook.

I think you will find that the UK university system is well represented with white, male, relatively affluent, posh schooling compared with the general population.:)

That's why I qualified it - by population outright there are a lot of white guys. However, in relation to the grades they get they are generally underrepresented - that's positive discrimination in action. Having also been witness to South Africa's BEE program, it's a very slippery slope.

@Flying Pig, I'd def agree that fee paying is not equivalent to a better education, and at least comforting (<_>) to hear that there is no policy of positive discrimination.

Btw, it's really awesome to come to a forum w such little rage and flaming, considering past experience. Great, diverse, intelligent community here! ^_^"

Top Bottom