The muslim shrine???

Civplayer99

Chieftain
The muslim shrine is called "Masjid Al Haram", which means The Holy Mosque or sanctuary.

Now we all now, that the Masjid Al Haram is located ind Makkah (It is called Makkah, because the arabs thought the word "Mecca" was misused, and they changed the spelling. Which also brings me to why Makkah is called Mecca in civ 4 and not Makkah, but that's not very important), with the Kaba as it's center, Kaba means cube in arabic.

My question is, why does the muslim shrine look like the Dome of Rock in Jerusalem? Why didn't they just call it "Dome of Rock", or why didn't they change the graphics, so it looked like the Masjid Al Haram, or atleast the Kaba?

What you are doing is nit-picking. A detail such as this has no influence on the quality of the game. Let it go.

If you cannot stand it, either create a mod, or don't play the game. But please, do not scrape and scratch in an effort to find the smallest problems in this excellent game. What I will never understand is why so many fans of Civ keep on trying to point out 'flaws' such as this one.

Crimso, what Civplayer99 is saying seems absouetly fine to me, the authors of this game clearly pride themselves on accuracy, which is what makes this game so appealling, if it was pure fiction it wouldn't be as addictive or impressive.

Civplayer99, it might be something that the authors are intrested in, why don't you email it through to them?

Crimso said:
Hmm, from your post, I take it you're a moslem, or some one who takes the religion seriously for another reason. .

Not that it should be of any concern in this debate but I'm in fact a strong Atheist.

Civplayer99 said:
Now we all now, that the Masjid Al Haram is located ind Makkah (It is called Makkah, because the arabs thought the word "Mecca" was misused, and they changed the spelling. Which also brings me to why Makkah is called Mecca in civ 4 and not Makkah, but that's not very important), with the Kaba as it's center, Kaba means cube in arabic.

Frankly, I don't see why anyone would be bothered by the spelling Mecca instead of Makkah. The Arabs can look after their alphabet, we'll look after ours.

Öjevind

Y'know what's happening here? I'm messing with the board. I was cutting/pasting etc. to edit the original, and somehow it made a new post under your reply of my original, and now everything screwed up.

That particular comment was directed at the TC in the original post but edited out, because you're right, it doesn't make any difference. You're replying to quickly for me to fix things up, so I'm gonna get some breakfast.

Öjevind Lång said:
Frankly, I don't see why anyone would be bothered by the spelling Mecca instead of Makkah. The Arabs can look after their alphabet, we'll look after ours.

Öjevind

Eh?

He already said that he didn't think that was important, the point he is making, which seems prefectly valid to me is that the shrine looks like a holy building from another religion.

Crimso said:
What you are doing is nit-picking. A detail such as this has no influence on the quality of the game. Let it go.

If you cannot stand it, either create a mod, or don't play the game. But please, do not scrape and scratch in an effort to find the smallest problems in this excellent game. What I will never understand is why so many fans of Civ keep on trying to point out 'flaws' such as this one.

Pardon me? Am I not allowed to ask a question?

I was actually just curious, there might be another meaning behind it.

I know it doesn't affect the gameplay, and it really doesn't bother me much.
It would affect gameplay, if they called Rome "Kingdom of Bananas", would it?

It's not that it bothers me, I'm just curious. Also, it is not spelled Makkah in arabic, in arabic it's spelled مكة المكرمة‎,
Not the same, is it? Translated in to the latin aphabet, it would be called Makkah al-Mukarramah.

It is true that most englishspeaking people still call it Mecca, but it's not a big deal. I mean, Reuters and BBC still calls it Mecca.

But, I made the thread because of the issue about the muslim shrine, I just added the spelling issue.

Hmm, from your post, I take it you're a moslem, or some one who takes the religion seriously for another reason. .

I know quite a few muslims who don't take religion seriously at all. So, that's is just a simple prejudice. Also, it really doesn't matter if I'm a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, arab, american, chinese, russian, albanian, european or anything.
It has no relevance to the topic at all.

Civplayer99, it might be something that the authors are intrested in, why don't you email it through to them?

How do I e-mail them?

He already said that he didn't think that was important, the point he is making, which seems prefectly valid to me is that the shrine looks like a holy building from another religion.

Your right, I don't think it's important.
Although, the Dome of Rock is also a muslim mosque. It also looks pretty cool, with the golden dome (I'm interested in middleeastern architecture).

balearicrazy said:
Eh?

Dome of the Rock is also a muslim holy building, just in Jerusalem not in Mecca, the main mulsim holy city

Hey *munch* I've got this omlet here. *chew chew* Sid fried it up for me, such a nice guy *chew munch* It's got:

top quality ham
top quality cheese
top quality egg
top quality onion
top quality green pepper
etc.

Cooked to perfection, absolute best omlet ever.

Mmmm. Very delecious. Thank you, Sid! It must've taken you a long time to get these amazing ingredients together. *munch chew* Really, I though the first omlet you made for me was perfect, but three later... you really outdid yourself! Really? 94% average? That's really good. You had a lot of help from your friends, you say? Well, thanks guys!

But wait, there's something off here... *takes out magnifiying glass* It would seem, Sid, that... *takes out chemistry set and three heavy text books* Oh, oh dear... *takes sample, performs experiment, looks through books* Yes, this is unfortunate.

Sid, why did you use D'Angelo cooking oil to make my omlet? Did you not know that it is merely the second best cooking oil ever known to man? I demand to know why you made this mistake! *chew munch* I have a right to know!

FWIW, Dome of Rock is a shrine that houses the stone that initially ascended to infamy when Abraham proved he was willing to sacrifice his son to God by binding him to that stone. It makes various other appearances in the Old Testament. So while the building is of Islamic origin, the relic in it is pretty much the basis of all Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions.

Masjid Al Haram, on the other hand, is a mosque.

So probably they should have named the shrine Dome of Rock (or Qubbat As-Sakhrah) as it is, after all, a shrine, making the graphic correct.

eric_ said:
FWIW, Dome of Rock is a shrine that houses the stone that initially ascended to infamy when Abraham proved he was willing to sacrifice his son to God by binding him to that stone. It makes various other appearances in the Old Testament. So while the building is of Islamic origin, the relic in it is pretty much the basis of all Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions.

Masjid Al Haram, on the other hand, is a mosque.

So probably they should have named the shrine Dome of Rock (or Qubbat As-Sakhrah) as it is, after all, a shrine, making the graphic correct.

That's totally true... if viewed from a jewish perspective. From the Old Testament, as you say. But according to the muslims, the mentioned event took place in the desert of Mina. Since we are talking about the muslim shrine, and therfore must be seen from an Islamic view, then the story is not correct.

Also not that it matters, but in the game there appears an Indian city called Bombay; in the real world it's been changed to Mumbai. Peking was updated to Beijing, so why not Mumbai ? Why is St. Basil's Cathedral used for The Kremlin ? On what basis did they choose the English (and French) city names, omitting for example Sheffield in favour of lesser-known places like Richmond and (heaven preserve us) The Mumbles ? Why are there far less English city-names than German ones ?
Nitpickers of the Civ world, unite !

Or 'The Church of the Nativity'? Where the heck is that? Shouldn't it have been the 'Vatican' or something for a place where the Christians get their gold?

The Vatican is a Catholic building, and is not universally regarded as leading the whole Christian faith. That'd be like saying the Christian Holy Building should be the Mormon Tabernacle.

Church of the Nativity is fine, too bad if the Masjid Al-Haram looks wrong. I'm sure Warriors didn't always move in threes.

loads of people visit the church of the nativity, not as much as the vatican i'll grant you that but the vatican is not a shrine. like someone else said if you dont like it change it an if you cant be bothered to learn how then it really doesn't bother you that much.

Top Bottom