1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Leader Balance' started by Funak, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Funak

Funak Deity

I said from the start that this adjacency thing wouldn't work out properly, they need to be balanced around themselves, not around building them in a circle around villages.
    The terrace farm is suffering from the exact same thing with the exception that the TF have decent base-yields meaning it is completely overpowered as a result.

2. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

I had a hard time finding a nice balance - the initial values we discussed above were very inflationary, or at least they became inflationary with the AI. BUT - and this is key - I was testing all this prior to the river spaghetti fix, so the Polders need some love, yep.

G

3. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

What's wrong with balancing them around building them in circles around villages?

4. Funak

Funak Deity

Nothing really, but what's the reasoning behind it? Are farms balanced around building them in circles around villages, are eki balanced around building them in circles around villages? Polders are pretty much pimped up farms, there is no reason why they should be based around building around villages when farms are based around being built next to each other.
    This is a solution that's trying to invent a problem to fix, a new feature that everyone are desperate to make use of for no good reason. The only practical difference between balancing polders around themselvers and balancing them around villages is that you force the player to make villages, limiting choice.

5. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Of course none of those things are based around circling villages, that's what's making this unique. Polders are no longer pimped up farms with this mechanic, they are unique. If you want to make their UA "farms actually have yields of Polders" then that's boring.

Do I like this mechanic in particular? No. But I certainly don't think its limiting choice at all. Trying to decide where to sacrifice farm adjacency and trade/roads to place villages is fun. Trying to decide how to develop that in tandem with Polder-able land limitations is also fun. This would be fine if the yields were worth it.

6. Funak

Funak Deity

I didn't exactly mean in-game :D

Another issue I have with it is aesthetics, clustered Polders look awesome, polders in a circle around something doesn't. I would be a lot more fine with this if the bonus was just for building a tradingpost near a polder, meaning it would be worth building tradingposts around a field of polders, but not actually replacing polders in the middle of the field. But at that point I don't really see the point in an adjacency-bonus at all, I mean tradingposts would probably be worth building there even without a bonus.

7. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Well I agree with all of these points. :)

8. Gazebo

Unless you have a weird river system, it'll be hard to circle anything with polders. Generally you'll have a line of them on a fresh water source and TPs adjacent to them.

9. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

If there's a bend in the river, you can replace one of the polders with a town and get a nice set of buffs on it. Its nice and cool, but the scaling on the adjacency buff is really poor while the yields on the Polder itself got a huge nerf, on top of rivers being great places for farm adjacency.

10. Gazebo

Well, as I said earlier, I was doing my best to balance while we were dealing with river spaghetti issue. Polders need a buff generally.

11. Llednar Twem

Llednar Twem Prince

It's also important to remember that polders aren't actually available until guilds. That's fairly well into the game. The long period of unavailability means it needs to be that much stronger relative to earlier uniques since it has that much less time to make a difference before the game ends.

12. Funak

Funak Deity

Yeah, exactly, it is worth remembering that you're pretty much forced to first build farms on all these tiles and then replace the farms with polders once you reach guilds, you can't really go that long with unimproved tiles.

Well, situations do happen, I fairly often still see spots where I could have one polders with 6 adjacent polders, and pretty much being forced to slam a village into the middle of them because it gets an extra 6 yields feels silly. Just putting in a limit stopping that from happening would be nice, something to make sure that building a polder is actually always stronger than or at least equal to building a village.
    If at all possible not letting the bonus to villages stack would probably be a good start, along with buffed up yields on the polder (and probably a farm style Adjacency bonus if that isn't already present)

13. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

What's wrong with a UI sometimes not being the right thing to build? Especially if its because of how you strategically chose to use the UI elsewhere?

14. Funak

Funak Deity

Because it looks terrible, feels terrible and leave a bad taste in the mouth? Finding a spot where you can build a 7 polder cluster should feel awesome, not feel like you have to ditch the middle polder for a village.

15. PurpleMentat

PurpleMentat Videographer

Personal preference. We have a competition of opinions and taste in this thread ATM, not direct balance concerns.

16. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Why can't finding a spot where you have a 6-polder cluster with a spot in the middle for a village feel awesome instead?

Absolutely, which is my point. Funak doesn't like these things but he keeps saying it "can't work". He may not like it and that's fine, he doesn't have to like every civ in the game. But right now he's trying to say that if it doesn't amuse him it can't amuse anyone, so I'm arguing with that.

17. Funak

Funak Deity

Not at all, your point is that I either have to like it or have to keep quiet. All I'm saying is that I think it's a silly idea that's going to be impossible to balance and look like a mess.
    I'm saying that I think a unique improvement should feel awesome by itself, not feel like a mediocre farm that makes nearby villages feel awesome. That's not interesting design to me and makes the entire civilization feel dreadfully dull.
    I'm saying that I think you should never choose to build a non-unique improvement instead of a unique improvement, you should be angry over the fact that you can't build it because a bonus-resource is blocking the tile.

And you're saying I don't have to like every civ in the game as if I'd never back down from this. For your information I've backed down in probably 20 leader balance discussions, I still think solutions are terrible, but they are there and no one else seems to care.

18. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

You absolutely can say you don't like the idea, but the way you've worded it is saying that nobody can like the idea because it is inherently flawed. So I'm not telling you to shut up if you don't like it, I'm saying you should talk about what you don't like about it rather than just naysaying that the whole idea is completely bad design objectively.

As for the reasons why you don't like it, I'm asking for some elaboration. You say the improvement itself is weak and I agree, but you say that improving adjacent tiles is inherently weak and I disagree. Why do you not associate the buffing of adjacent tiles with the original improvement? Its an effect of building the Polder and is thus something exciting about the Polder.

The buffed town you build is essentially an extra UI. Its special just like the Polder is.

And no, I'm not suggesting you wouldn't back down. I'm saying that just because it isn't fun for you doesn't mean it can't be fun for someone else.

19. Funak

Funak Deity

First of all I don't understand why I have to give elaborate explanations about anything when no one can even give me one good reason why polders should buff villages. (And 'I like it' 'It is fun' 'It is different' 'It makes them special' are clearly not good reasons)

Infinitely stacking adjacency-bonuses are a balancing mess. Just look at how the terrace farms in vanilla shifted between 'just farms on hills' to completely insanely overpowered between games just because they had out of control bonuses from adjacent mountains. This situation is way worse off, because the polders unlike mountains have to actually be workable tiles, in fact they have to be good enough to still look fun.

Because the adjacent tiles are not the original improvement. Buffing a bunch of non-special tiles is what a unique building does. A unique improvement is a cool tile that you should want to work. I mean I'm not spending 15 turns constructing an awesome looking chateau just to work the farm next to it, I'm spending 15 turns constructing it so that my city can work it.

Except in this situation neither of them are special. The over all power of the civ can't be raised so all this is going to do is split the power between the village and the polder, meaning both of them would turn out mediocre at best, especially considering the liberal terrain-restrictions on the polder.

20. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Thank you for finally having some actual discussion.

The reason why you have to elaborate first is because you're the one arguing against status quo.

The Terrace Farms were never insanely overpowered because they were surrounded by unworkable tiles. They ranged from hill farms (which is not unique) to powerful single tiles surrounded by unworkable tiles. But I understand your point in theory. In the case of the Polders, the stacking yield they are providing is gold, which is already the least useful yield with the most inflation, so it doesn't seem to be overwhelming in its best form. The new CBP Terrace Farm might be a problem though, I haven't tried it.

An improvement buffs an individual tile of your choice in the form specific to the improvement type. I'm going to reword the improvements to help explain my point.

Polder: Provides strong yields, buildable only on freshwater tiles.
    Dutch village: Provides normal village yields, +1 gold for each adjacent Polder.

Your final point is the only one that I think holds any merit at all, and is why I also did not want this rework. I like that the Polder had very difficult building conditions but provided very high yields as a result. This resulted in me planning my settling around trying to get Polder-able lands, which I found a lot of fun. However, in the case of games where I got a ton of valid land, it was too easy, and when I got none, it was too boring. Changing the requirements and yields to be more consistent seems fine. Additionally, the yields have been spread to the adjacent tiles as well, which means that the Polder itself is even weaker than before, but it is a different type of fun.

Now I don't see why the Dutch can't be buffed, since their UA received a significant nerf in the average use case by again changing the requirements and yields. So I don't see a reason why the Polders can't be stronger AND have the village mechanic.

Here is the argument I would make against the mechanic: there can only be so much power in the Polders. Some of that power is being spread to adjacent villages. Unique Improvements are not about boosting overall yields but about creating single amazing tiles. While a village adjacent to multiple Polders could be a single amazing tile and each Polder could also be good, it is difficult to balance that scenario to be consistent yet not overwhelming. Not impossible, but difficult. I think the Polder needs more power overall to balance this situation. The Polder needs to be strong enough to build by itself instead of farms in some situations. The scaling on villages needs to be better to create super villages.

Gazebo, what are you looking at for numbers? I think the Polder could use one more food or hammer for the base tile (its available at Guilds and on freshwater (which is also usually near flatlands) meaning its competing with river farm fields right out of the gate, which are either +3 or +4 food usually, so +3 food +1 hammer +1 gold seems good (since you aren't just losing the +3/4 food from one farm, but also +1 for some adjacent farms, so this should be usually but not always better). Then a scaling on villages of +2 gold or +1 food? Those villages are also probably replacing farms and farm adjacencies.