The new Civ 6 mechanics... how they works? they work better or need some changes?

eternal_blue

Chieftain
So, I was playing the Civ4 and Civ5 games a lot, and every game has his unique game mechanics. The last entry in the series, Civ 6, of course has his own new mechanis and improvements, art style and design.

I was playing for about 3 or 4 days the new Civ 6 and I have some questions because there are mechanics that I am ok with them but I don't know how they works, because they are confusing at first.

1.) Amenities - When I was playing the first game I was surprised that the global happiness is changed in Civ 6 and every individual city has his own "happiness" (amenity). In this situation, i like this concept for the happiness because every city have his own individual amenity, but I don't know when the amenity drops and when it rises, because the "new city menu screen" it doesn't inform to much how it works, just it gives some information about that you need luxuries to improve it or special buildings. When I was at war and conquer cities it was apeared that the amenity it raises without reason or diminishes in the same way after some turns without doing nothing about it. In the game at peace in the same way it goes at -1 or -2 from turn to turn and then it goes to 0 or 1. I can't understand it because if it goes low the low amenity affects the production and growing of the city and if I don't have special resources to raise it i can do nothing because if i want to utilize the "plan b" and build a coloseum or a building that can improve it. it took too much time because the production of the city is low. And I just don´t know how it works, and after capturing a city if is some penalty in amenity and how it can be restored if its a -6 for example because the production goes very low to improve it with a building.

2.) Housing - The housing in this game is very strange because is the same problem like the amenties, if i go low in housing i want to produce improvemnts like farms or build granaries to increase the number of slots for housing... BUT... the problem apears that from time to time when for example it looks like there are 10/11 Housing slots ocupied and it is alerting that it needs more housing; and then some turns after, it apears like 8/11 or some like that without doing nothing especialy. If that it can be improved in other ways I will like that someone can explain to me how it works and how the slots are functioning.

3.) Religion - The religion from the first turns of the first game it was very confusing for me, because I was building a pantheon and I was farming some religion points per turn, and after that pantheon was build, I was waiting and waiting and waiting to apear a great prophet... I was having more than 1000 faith points after some turns but the prophet didn't apear.. When I was searching in the religion screen it's nothing else there than the pantheon and the belief that you have. The only way that I was able to have a prophet was to buy it from the great person screen just for one time, then it doesn't apear anymore to buy another one. And now I don't know how to have one or how to utilize the great prophet points , because I have shrines and temples in all my 7 cities and I can't see a menu that you can analize if a great prophet can spawn or the number of turns to wait or just to buy it, because in the religion screen are just my cities following my religion and the beliefs, nothing else.

4.) City Food & Growing - In every city mini menu that is on the down right of the screen it apears in some cities with a +23 food or something like that, and when I am opening the top left extended menu for the same city it apears like +3 or something like that. It´s confusing because I think in one is the sum of all food without consuming and in the extended menu it is the food after the people are consuming.. I don't know it is this or something else, and I want to know why it apears different in the two city menus.

5.) Influence - The way that city states acts in Civ 6 is awesome, the militaristic ones have a large number of army that if they ally with you can be very helpful in war , the scientific ones gives you a lot of science or gold if they are mercantile. And I was seeing that the improvement of the relation with city states is changed in Civ 6, now it aperears to be in levels of influence over them with some kind of metter or slots or something like that named "envoy". This concept I don't understand, because some form of government gives 2 envoys other just one, and that "envoy point" it is gradualy growing every turn, but I don't know how you can make the influence grow to gain points, and invest them in city states becaus I didn't do any mission for them. They can be used for other things than just city states?

Those are the 5 mechanics that I was seeing in a different and confusing way in comparation with Civ 5, and if someone can answer to those problems i'll be very greatful. And of course if you can encounter some new changes that I am missing it will be good to share, and that will be very apreciated from all of the comunity, especialy the new players.

Thank you so much...

Last edited:
Is it just me or is religion like combat, except there's only 3 types of units, no terrain modifiers, and the conflict lasts throught the whole game. It looks too boring for me to try, someone please tell me if it actually isn't as bad as it sounds.
Religion definitely needs to be improved with expansion

5.) Influence - The way that city states acts in Civ 6 is awesome, the militaristic ones have a large number of army that if they ally with you can be very helpful in war , the scientific ones gives you a lot of science or gold if they are mercantile. And I was seeing that the improvement of the relation with city states is changed in Civ 6, now it aperears to be in levels of influence over them with some kind of metter or slots or something like that named "envoy". This concept I don't understand, because some form of government gives 2 envoys other just one, and that "envoy point" it is gradualy growing every turn, but I don't know how you can make the influence grow to gain points, and invest them in city states becaus I didn't do any mission for them. They can be used for other things than just city states?

It's pretty simple actually. Basically, you automatically get points per turn called influence, and once they reach a threshold you get "envoys". Those envoys can be sent to city states for rewards. How many influence points you get per turn, and how many envoys you receive at the threshold, are both affected by government and policy choices. You can get some one-off free envoys from reaching certain techs or civics, but otherwise, there is no way to get more influence other than pick a new government or policy cards. There is nothing to use them for other than city states.

3.) Religion - The religion from the first turns of the first game it was very confusing for me, because I was building a pantheon and I was farming some religion points per turn, and after that pantheon was build, I was waiting and waiting and waiting to apear a great prophet... I was having more than 1000 faith points after some turns but the prophet didn't apear.. When I was searching in the religion screen it's nothing else there than the pantheon and the belief that you have. The only way that I was able to have a prophet was to buy it from the great person screen just for one time, then it doesn't apear anymore to buy another one. And now I don't know how to have one or how to utilize the great prophet points , because I have shrines and temples in all my 7 cities and I can't see a menu that you can analize if a great prophet can spawn or the number of turns to wait or just to buy it, because in the religion screen are just my cities following my religion and the beliefs, nothing else.

Great prophet points buy the great prophet, not faith. So that is a big change from Civ 5. Also, you can only generate maximum ONE great prophet per civ. To "enhance" your religion with additional beliefs, this is done by apostles now, not great prophets. So Great Prophet points are completely worthless once you have a religion.

It's pretty simple actually. Basically, you automatically get points per turn called influence, and once they reach a threshold you get "envoys". Those envoys can be sent to city states for rewards. How many influence points you get per turn, and how many envoys you receive at the threshold, are both affected by government and policy choices. You can get some one-off free envoys from reaching certain techs or civics, but otherwise, there is no way to get more influence other than pick a new government or policy cards. There is nothing to use them for other than city states.

Great prophet points buy the great prophet, not faith. So that is a big change from Civ 5. Also, you can only generate maximum ONE great prophet per civ. To "enhance" your religion with additional beliefs, this is done by apostles now, not great prophets. So Great Prophet points are completely worthless once you have a religion.

Thanks for describing me how the influence and the religion sistem works now. A bit disapointing that you can have just one prophet per game and you are forced to utilize just the other 3 units to enhance your religion.

The influence points are a good adition, thow I just want something more complex to increase the influence not just send envoys and fill the slots with them. It's very confusing to watch the UI when it comes to know when you are Ally with a city state or when a city state is ally with another civ.

Another thing that it comes to my atention in terms of UI, where are the slots of great works of art? You need a culture district to produce great writer musician Paint, slots? I can't find the menu with the great work slots like in Civ 5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom