The OCC Space Race - Monarch

Aggie

Deity
To see how good the seafaring trait is in an One City Challenge, I decided to try an OCC Space Race. Since I like scientific as a trait, I choose the Byzantines as the civ to try it with.

The map stats: archipelago, standard size, 80% water.
Opponents: random.

4000 BC: My starting location:

Very good I must say. Luxuries, a river, the sea, bonus tiles and forests. I settle on the spot and start with two curraghs.

3000 BC: I meet the Persians. The are too close for comfort :(

2110 BC: I finish the Colossus :). Together with the Great Library this should bring me a Golden Age.

3000 BC – 1910 BC: I meet the Carthaginians and the Japanese. Trading with them and the Persians gives me a lot of techs.

1910 BC: [dance] My first lucky break. Philosophy AND a SGL. I keep the SGL for the Great Library. The free tech of choice is Code of Laws and now I start Republic on minimum.

1830 BC: I meet the Ottomans, who give me 10 gold and Mystisicm for Alphabet. Persia has Horseback Riding, but I don't want to buy it. The Persians finish the Pyramids, which I deliberately skipped to prevent a culture win.

1700 BC: I meet the Babylonians. I swap my The Wheel with Iron Working and 10 gold.

1650 BC: X-man of the Persians demands Pottery. I give in, naturally.

1575 BC: I meet the Mayans, who give me 10 gold for Alphabet.

1525 BC: The Japanese demand Pottery and they get it.

1250 BC: I meet the Koreans. Like all other civs, it's shocking to see how far behind they are. I get 10 gold for Masonry. As you can see, no-one knows another civ...

I have used suicide curraghs to find them all, as can be seen on the map:

975 BC: Carthage starts the Great Lighthouse, so they will have galleys soon. They will be the first with a 3 movement ship after me. I buy Map Making for Mysticism and Code of Laws. This will allow me to build a harbor.

Meanwhile I will have Republic in 15.

900 BC: I start the Mausoleum of Mausillis and Korea finishes the Oracle.

630 BC: I discovered Republic and draw 4 turns of anarchy.

590 BC: Persia demands Map Making and I decline! Without it he can't reach me. I am at war and war happiness kicks in :)

Without a decent ship he will not cross...

550 BC: I'm a Republic and full research gives me Literature in 6.

430 BC: Mausoleum is ready and I am in a Golden Age :hammer:

410 BC: I rush the Great Library with the SGL :D Despite that I go for Currency at max (7 turns). The AI is very backward :rolleyes:

Persia wants to talk, but I want to profit more from the war happiness.

370 BC: Korea demands Mathematics. I agree with it, because they have Map Making. I make peace with Persia for Mystisicm, the reason is the same. The AI is still unaware of each other :eek:

310 BC: I have Currency at first. Now I go after Construction. Polytheism is the other tech I don't know to reach the MA. But the Ottomans have it. My plan for the Middle Ages is clear: research the bottom half of the tech tree, try to tech get the wonders Copernicus and Newton, keep the AI as unaware of each other as possible...

270 BC: Persia has a harbor. Now I can trade Mathematics for Iron, Gems and 9 gold!

190 BC: Construction is there. Time to enter the Middle Ages. I ring the Ottomans and get Polytheism for Currency and 13 gold. Engineering is my free tech. Research to Feudalism (in 13, but still in GA).

-Japan, Babylon, Korea and Mayas lack Math, Philo, CoL, Lit, HBR and Poly
-Ottomans lack Writing, HBR, Contruction but have Monarchy, which I don't want
-Persia and Carthage lack Philo, CoL, Construction, Currency, Lit, Poly

Carthage and the Otto's have met, but the rest is still isolated.

70 BC: Carthage built the Great Lighthouse and is surpisingly the second one in the Middle Ages. The Ottomans are not there yet...

30 AD The Mayas and Babylonians met...

70 AD I discover Feudalism at first. The Persians sail close by, maybe they are up to something... Sun Zsu is there in 30 turns, but I hope to switch to Leo. Carthage is slowly getting to know the world.

210 AD The Ottomans enter the Middle ages and get Engineering, so no trade possibility there.

320 AD Japan wants Poly and I tell them to go away. They do so.

340 AD Now Korea wants Construction and after my decline they declare war. However, they are far away and know no-one close.

370 AD Persia demands wines and now I give in.

390 AD I sell Persia Polytheism for Iron and Gems.

400 AD The Ottomans demand Literature and know the Persians and Carthage. So they get it.

The Ottomans are now level in tech, except for the Republic. Carthage lacks Engineering and the Republic. The rest is really backward.

410 AD I discover Invention and Sun Zsu is switched to Leo. I sell Republic to Carthage for 200 gold. Maybe they are going to pay me gpt in a while...

600 AD Two of the most powerful civs of the world (and my neighbours) go to war!

620 AD I get Gunpowder and can sell other, older techs for gpt now :)

720 AD Carthage and the Persians sign a peace treaty. This is what Persia did with the Carthaginian colonnies on my island:

Carthage and Ottomans managed to get Monotheism. This will be mine soon due to the Great Library. Carthage has established contact with the whole world now.

740 AD The Mayas demand Literature and get it from me.

780 AD I'm first at Chemistry and now start on Metallurgy. Osman gives me 49 gpt and 73 gold for Gunpowder.

820 AD The tech speeds is increasing and I suspect that Osman has a SGL. He now comes with Theology.

850 AD Theology and Chivalry come in from the Great Library and I start The Knights Templar :D

910 AD Carthage settled on my island again and Persia declared war again!

940 AD Metallurgy is researched. The Ottomans have Education.

970 AD The Ottomans declared war on Carthage. I expect nothing from the Great Library anymore now the potential trading partners fight. So I get Education and 50 gold for Chemistry. Now full research is on Astronomy.

980 AD The Knights Templar is finished. That will help when defending the city :)

1000 AD Finally Persia decides to raze Contantinople :eek:

1000 AD continued... My 5 Med Infs manage to take out the Persians troops without any problems.

1020 AD :hammer: Persia clearly miscalculated :hammer:

1030 AD Osman beat me Astronomy and agrees to trade it for 35 gpt and Metallurgy. Now I beeline to Theory of Gravity.

Two wandering Persian units are killed.

1060 AD There goes number two:

But now peace has to come, because my army is depleting... Persia offers peace for 29 gold and 14 gpt. They pay me... :lol: I am also the happy owner of 7 Persian slaves :) Good to have in the railroad times.

1140 AD Physics is discovered, but Osman was one turn ealier :(

1180 AD The Ottomans finish Sistine. Apart from us two no civ knows Astronomy. This might have killed the cascade to Copernicus...

1210 AD The Ottomans and Carthage sign peace, so trade is possible again between them.

1220 AD [dance]

1230 AD The Ottomans start Bach. A wonder I don't need. Other good thing is that Osman did not go for ToG :)

1255 AD I get ToG at first. I switch my courthouse prebuild to Newton and decide to sell ToG to Osman for 104 gpt and 166 gold. I couldn't resist, since now I can research at 100% for +97 gpt (Magnetism – and trade options with all - in 8). I assume that Osman won't get a SGL and otherwise can't beat me to Newton.

1295 AD I discover Magnetism and open the world for trade (with me). The Ottomans found the secret of Military Tradition this turn, so I can go full speed for Banking, the last tech in the Middle Ages.

Korea gives me ivory, furs, horses, 15 gold for Monotheism. This allows me to build Knights.

1320 AD The Ottomans invade my territory.

I still have 7 turns of a 104 gpt deal to go :( But on the plus side: I have 2891 gold. So I ask the Otto's to leave and I am at war. Killing the six invaders is a simple task.

1330 AD I enter the Industrial Age with Banking and I am the first :) My free tech is Medicine, which shortens the trip towards Theory of Evolution.

The Ottomans lack Banking
The Persians lack Banking and Astronomy
Carthage lacks Banking, ToG and Magnetism
The rest is not to be taken seriously anymore

1335 AD Carthage demands wines and I don't want too many civs at war with me. So I give in. He turns gracious.

1340 AD Newton is mine.

1355 AD I make peace with the Ottomans for 40 gold. They have Nationalism.

1385 AD I discover Steam Power. I sell it to the Ottomans (yes, I know, but they are the top dog) for 117 gpt and Military Tradition. Next up is Industrialization in 10.

1390 AD Persia is in the Industrial Age and has Steam! Plus 2 extra sources of coal :) For 200 gold I get some and now I can start railroading.

Persia declared war on the Ottomans.

1435 AD I discover Industrialization and rush the factory. Followed by the coal plant. Next tech is Electricity (in 11).

1450 AD Persia and the Ottomans sign peace.

1485 AD Electricity is discovered and now Scientific Method is up in 8 turns. My Universal Suffrage Prebuild is set up nicely :) The AI is researching MA techs like Printing Press and Democracy, so I am outrunning them at the moment.

1510 AD The Mayas and Ottomans get a MA vs Carthage. This is going the right way. I hope for Fascism and Communism to get the scientific research of the AI to a standstill.

1520 AD Two turns before Scientific Method it is time to get some cash out of Electricity. The Ottomans give me Democracy and 109 gpt, Carthage gives 58 gpt.

1530 AD My free techs are Atomic Theory and Electronics and now I go top speed for Replaceable Parts. Infantry should make me strong vs attacks from Persia and even the Ottomans.

1560 AD I sell Industrialization to Persia for Nationalism, Iron and 6 gpt. The Ottomans have Fascism and Communism.

1565 AD Persia demands Scientific Method and I give in. I need their coal.

1585 AD Replaceable Parts is discovered and I try full research on The Corporation. I see that Japan has rubber:

But they are backward and don't know Monotheism yet. So I give them all techs up to Rep Parts and then buy rubber :) They are still polite, not gracious!

1620 AD The Ottomans draw Japan and Korea into the war vs Carthage, while the Mayas just made peace. Carthage is in trouble.

1625 AD I beat all AI's to Corporation and have 5390 gold in cash. At 100% science I make -33 gpt. I decide not to trade for a few turns, because the AI doesn't want to pay enough for Atomic Theory, Replaceable Parts and Corporation. I am not interested in Fascism and Communism. The Ottomans actually ARE fascists right now, while Persia is a democracy.

Sanitation is in 7 turns.

1635 AD The Ottomans and Persians discovered and traded Replaceable Parts.

1660 AD [dance] I will use it for a wonder or to speed up the tech race when needed.

The AI has Navigation. I decide to trade Communism with poor Carthage for Navigation, world map, 9 gpt. I finally get the world map. This is the world:

Carthage and the Ottomans make peace. The tech speed might pick up pace again when the Ottomans swap back to Democracy.

1680 AD: OMG there they are again :( But now I have infantry!!

I am able to easily kill the 6 units here, but no cavalry build option anymore. Also my coal deal with Persia is gone and no other source is there to trade.

1685 AD: Persia now comes with a total of 8 obsolete units and 4 guerillas. This wave also was a breeze.

1690 AD: Only 3 pikes/immortals now. Inbetween turns they constantly attack with 2 cavs on average, of which one succeeds. This would eventually deplete my army...

A lot of wonders I don't need are eing built. Persia completes Universal Suffrage.

IT: Two cavs attack size 13 Constantinople defended by elite infantry and artillery :mischief:

1720 AD: Persia wants to pay for peace, while I only killed all the units they landed :eek:

After this deal I sell them Steel for 279 gpt...

1725 AD: Persia and Ottomans sign a MPP... Persia declares war on the Koreans. Those three are now the strongest civs.

1730 AD: The Ottomans now also declare war on the Koreans (MPP effect)...

1750 AD: Persia has Refining over me, but I have Atomic Theory and Electronics. Plus I'm 6 turns from Radio, which I started during the last war: I need radio towers!

1765 AD: I discover Radio. I trade Atomic Theory with Persia for Refining. Persia is in anarchy, so Combustion at max is realistic... Korea gives 191 gpt and 430 gold for Atomic Theory. I have 8900 gold, make 573 gpt and have 100% science :D

1772 AD: The Mayas decide to invade me with obsolete units :rolleyes: I am STRONG compared to them :o

1782 AD: I trade Electronics with the Persians for Coal, 450 gold and 224 gpt. The other AI have nothing.

1784 AD: I am the first with Combustion. Mass Production is next in 9 turns.

1788 AD: I make peace with the Mayas and buy their two luxes for 300 gold.

1802 AD: Mass Production is discovered and I now do research on Motorized Transport.

1804 AD: Now Japan drops of obsolete troops, which means war. Until now I have had no luck with military leaders, who knows...

Japan also declares war on the Ottomans.

1806 AD: The Ottomans give me Espionage for Electronics and a bit of money.

1818 AD: Motorized Transport is discovered. I sell Mass Production to Korea for 1810 gold, Ironclads and 50 gpt. I have 21947 gold in cash and make 299 gpt on max research :D Flight is in 10. I don't care if others get it first: this tech will bring me in the Modern Age :hammer:

1820 AD The Intelligence Agency is done.

1824 AD: Carthage is gone :p

1830 AD: Korea now has Flight. I need three turns more. They don't have Motorized Transport though...

1832 AD: Korea buys Motorized Transport for 1800 gold and 230 gpt.

1834 AD: The Persians invade again!! :(

Byzantines – Persia 10 to 1 wins :D All their infantry units are gone!

1836 AD: I'm in the Modern Age with Rocketry.

1836 AD continued. I sell Radio to Korea for 276 gpt, 490 gold and Ironclads. Korea gets Ecology :( Next tech will be Space Flight.

I upgrade my guerillas to TOWs :) I bombard the new Persian stack and wait one round to use the TOWs.

1842 AD: I sell the Ottomans Radio for 35 gpt. They get Computers :D I get it while swapping with Rocketry. Now I rush SETI with the SGL I still had from Sanitation :D

1844 AD I have all scientific improvement wonders in the city!

Persia again gives me 20 gpt for peace!

1856 AD Persia is modern and has all techs that I have plus Ecology. But I'm close to Space Flight.

1864 AD Gotta love it:

1866 I disover Space Flight and start Miniaturization. With 26000 gold in cash I decide to steal Ecology from Korea with my spy. I succeed. 3500 gold is cheap for the tech :)

1870 AD I start Apollo. The Maya and Ottomans sign a MA vs Persia.

1878 AD Now Babylon also join forces vs Persia.

1882 AD: Apollo is built and I start with the SS Engine.

I see one issue, rubber is not for trade anymore:

1882 AD continued: But when the Ottomans eliminate Japan, rubber will be for trade again...

They are at peace atm however, although I am at war with Japan.

I am in a hurry, because in 50 turns I'd have a Cultural 20K victory.

Korea gives me Space Flight for 350 gpt, 750 gold and Amphibious War. Ottomans give me 175 gpt and 1830 gold.

1890 AD Korea has Fission and starts the UN and the Manthattan Project! I will swap Miniaturization with Fission and switch from my first SS part to the UN to prevent a diplomatic loss.

The Ottomans already took two Persian cities on my continent :eek:

1892 AD Korea joins the Ottomans vs Persia!!

1894 AD Miniaturization is mine, but Korea insults me with the offer: 29 gpt and Fission :( I go for a steal again... 3580 gold for a safe steal gives me Fission. I have Uranium [dance]

And even better: Persia has rubber for trade, for which I pay 400 gold!

Nuclear Power is my next tech.

1898 AD: Japan signs a MA with Korea vs Persia. I'm the only one at peace with them. Meanwhile they control 'my' continent again.

1908 AD: I lost the aluminum from the Ottomans :( This is now the BIG problem in the space race.

1910 AD I have the UN:

Osman gives me 1910 gold, 119 gpt and two luxes for Fission.

40 turns to cultural victory. This will only work when the AI helps me researching!!

1914 AD Mayas made peace with Persia and Babylon declares on the Mayas. They don't play a role anymore though...

1922 AD Nuclear Power is discovered. Now Laser is next. These will all be on monopoly, that's why I go for them.

The warmongering AI is two techs behind, so I let a couple of gpt deals end and don't sell. They have to catch up a bit and hopefully research the upper part of the tree. I also sell the cathedral and the temple. Now I still have 40 turns to get everything, before the 20K win is reached.

Persia makes peace with Babylon and Japan.

1924 AD The Ottomans have Satellites, which means a chance to go for ICBM's :eek:
1926 AD: The Maya and Japanese get a MA vs me.

1932 AD: Korea now also has Satellites, so it's time to trade. The Ottomans get Nulcear Power for Satellites, 2490 gold and 239 gpt. Korea has nothing to offer.

I have to have aluminum and I have to make peace with the Maya ASAP. They have two sources!

The Ottomans added the SS docking bay...

1934 AD: Korea finished the Manhattan Project.

1936 I end the long war with Japan for Ironclads. It ends the MA vs me, but the Mayas won't talk yet...

1938 The Mayas attack me with three bombers, but no crucial damage.

1940 AD The Mayas now have four bombers and also come with big ships :o Korea signs a MPP with the Mayas. The Ottomans complete the Thrusters...

1942 AD The seven bombard units of the Mayas manage to destroy the Coastal Fortress. Two tanks and a guerilla land on my territory.

1944 AD I make peace with the Mayas (after killing the three units) for 100 gold. I then sell Fission for 27 gpt, oil, spices and 250 gold.

I then gives them Rocketry and pay 400 gold for Aluminum [dance]

I upgrade my 18 infantry to mech infs!

1946 :hammer:

1948: The Laser is invented. Next up is Robotics. I have a bit more than 30 turns for 3 techs and 9 parts to build :o The Otto's build the Cockpit.

1950 AD: The Ottomans now declare war on the Koreans, their partner in the Persian war.

1951 AD: I finish the SS Cockpit.

1955 AD : SS Thrusters are ready. The Ottomans start the Internet, which means that they have miniaturization. The wrong tech, since I had it already. I have to think about disbanding my scientific (cultural) buildings :( I would take me 33 turns at max research to get it all, but I have just 23 turns left.

1956 AD: The SS docking bay is complete.

1959 AD: SS planetery lounge is done. I lead the Space Race now.
I sell the high culture building Library and build it again immediately. This should half the cultural value, because the old one was was more than 1000 years old. I also sell the Colosseum, which I should have done much earlier :wallbash: It will be a close race now...

1960 AD The Otto's finished the SS Engine.

1963 AD: Robotics are discovered. Next is Superconductor, which has the most parts.

1964 AD: The SS Statis Chamber is ready.

1967 AD: The Ottomans discover the Laser and follow my path :( I only have 13 turns before cultural win. I can't get rid of my wonders...

1970 AD Korea finishes the SS Docking bay and the Ottomans build the Internet. Osman, now get on with research and give me Synthetic Fibers! :rant:

1972 Korea adds the Cockpit to the Spaceship and Ottomans and Persia make peace at last.

1973 AD: Korea has Synthetic Fibers :thumbsup: and I have Superconductor in 3. I buy Synthetic Fibers for Miniaturization., The Laser and 2000 gold.

But too late?

1974 AD:

1975 AD The Ottomans build another part for the ship.

1976 AD: I now know Superconductor and science goes to 0%, I sell the library, university and research lab.

1977 AD: The SS Exterior casing is ready. I need 7 turns for the rest of the parts though. I only have 4 :(

I take a break for a while to think about ways to reduce culture build up. Finally I have a solution! MOBILIZATION reduces culture build up by half :D

1978 AD: Culture is 29 per turn and 19829 in total...

1979 SS Storage Supply is done. Korea is also that far. Both the Ottomans and the Koreans have 2 techs less, so I shouldn't expect anything there.

1982: One part to go!!

1984:

I would have hd a culture win one turn later:

Persia really crumbeled in Fascism!

aggie, congratulations!

aggressive as some AIs get once you get close to a culture or space win this is amazing!

and I love the sciecne overflow ;)

Excellent story, and well-played!
It baffles me how some players can play so well with only one city. I tip my (hypothetical) hat to you.

And geez, that's a lot of science commerce! I'd like to see how much it would be if you'd put Constantinople on Wealth!

Jeez! One city, that's tough!:eek: Congrats!:goodjob:

Congrats!

A very difficult victory and even better written up.

The mobilization move was truly genius, I would have never thought of that one.

Very Impressive.:goodjob:

630 science per turn in one city :eek:

excellent game!

Top Bottom