• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Official Civ4 Ideas Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great ideas... too many to read though! ;)

I don't know if anyone's suggested this, but I would like a way to highlight or color code any square on the grid. That way, you could visually work out rough layouts of city placement, highlight resources, etc...

Warning: long post. These are just my thoughts... (spelling mistakes are not intentional... capitilisation may be wrong throughout this document).

This may be overly agressive, but it sums up my *irritations*.

I think Civ 3 did a lot to bring reality to the game. The game for me, excels, when it reflects reality. It gives more credit to playing for instance a WWII scenario. I have some grievances about the third incarnation about this game, but no where near as many as Civ II. In all, I am from the camp which thinks Civ should pretty much reflect the way the world works or has worked through history. I don't think Civ III was meant to be a "fantasy" game, but of course there are those who disagree.

And of course, nuclear warfare has its own rules, which may not reflect reality. This is one area I think should reflect playability... but implemented as it is, is wrong.

1) Cities which have been nuked should grow at half the rate of normal cities for X amount of turns. the entire *philosophy* of nuclear arms is primarily a deterrant. Their destruction is overwhelming, totally, impossible to completely describe. The effects of using nukes should be amplified.. ie, more distrust from other civs. People tend to think in black and white.. but the nukes used on Japan are like Longbowmen compared to Modern Armour. A good Russian grade nuke could completly wipe out the entire infrastructure of New York City for instance. I mean, *entire* infrastructure. If a Russian grade nuke was dropped on New York, would anything be left standing? everything in the city would be wiped out... the Stock Exchange, the places of worship, roading infrastructre, *everything*. Would only half the population die? doubt it. If nuke was exploded over NYC without warning, a good megatonnage nuke, I doubt whether 20% of the population would be left standing... and way more than half of them would die withing 10 years from radiation. If you dropped 2 current tech nukes on New York I'd doubt if any of the original population would be left standing.

CPU negatives? none. simply a one off mathematical calculation upon occurance.

2) Canals. The real world has them, they should be controlled somehow though.. like resources maybe. In history, canals have been the source of much heated military excercise, such as Israel, Britain with the Suez (not to mention Britain did not bomb on time in that war ;))

CPU negatives? Some... this would change the AI structure. It really gets into grey areas with this, such as how the AI "understands" the map, and places value on certain points. A human can do this at a glance, but given how *long* the turns already take, should we increase them? but then it's *canals*. An important, reflection of reality for an empire game *based* on reality.

3) War weariness. Should be more complex. What motivates citizens to patriotism? Invasion of your *land*. look what Pearl harbour did for World War II. I come from a country which fought as an one of the allies in WWI and WWI and Korea and Vietnam. I guarantee you the level of dissent was more than 10 times in Vietnam than in WWII. A war is not simply a war, that's just painting it black and white. it's the *principle* which motivates people.

CPU negatives? not many.

4) The AI is still dumb... yes... comeon.. it IS. I have found it comparably judges by unit numbers... great day I have 115 spearmen and they have 85 modern armour, they will still be dodgified about attacking. Comon!! that's not how a human would think. And they will not attack armies... since when did teh art of war involve winning every battle? the battle does not necessarily count, it's weakening the enemy and winning the war....

And i love the way I can bomb the deleted out of a sophisticated cultural empire (if my air-force is larger).. destroying their entire infrastructure, cutting the roads to the capital (on the right map).. bombing every single cultural building they have.. but they take so many turns to make peace again.. because their military is larger than yours.. but typically I have a larger navy and airforce, so all their units die in the transportation anyway... hrmm.. very very simplistic way of the AI looking at war.

CPU negatives? unknown.

5) Corruption is not reflective of reality. It's just not. My country is still technically a member of the british empire, it's nearly on the opposite side of the world to Britain. In it's entire history corruption has never been a problem (or not to the standards of the US or Britain)... how bizzare.. the colonies were implemented as *less* corrupt idealisms of the mother country... in fact, this was the half the damn idea of colonialism in the first place!!! How to implement it? don't know, but the current implementation of corruption is WRONG, and in NO way reflects the real world. it is a figment of some Civ III programmers imagination for playability... (yes it works, kinda.. but it's WRONG). Transparency in democracy is not about your history, your lineage or anything. It has a great deal to do with technology though.

It's impossible to have a large empire in Civ III!!! Even if you found the cities yourself.... Yes, I understand that an empire has corruption... --- from cities you *took* to create that empire... what if you founded them all yourself? - same level of corruption. Totally unrealistic. The empire of Rome encompassed *far* less people than the modern country of America.... but similar land mass.... corruption? far more in Rome back then. Difference? Technology.. Transparency... Television.. Live News... Globalisation... etc etc... want me to continue?

CPU negatives? not much.

-------------

And rant. This is just plain deleted, take it with a grain of salt. Comparision of reality to Civ III, and a few annoyances thrown in.

I think Civ III went far on from its predecessor.. but not far enough. Why can I only see 8 people at a time in the foreign advisors menu? comeon..... I always play a huge map with maximum opponents. So do many others. Air superiority is wierd. if I have 5 fighters in each city, overlapping in their operating radii, I'd damn hope 1 singular bomber could not get through. I think Air power needs a bit of a rework. Air power has just been too important in history, and it's not really reflective in Civ III. I don't care what anyone says, I really doubt how a stack of 10 spearmen could even inflict any damage on a Mech Inf. IT'S AN ARMOURED UNIT. In the real world, if you had 10 spearmen versus a tank.. they'd RUN. and never, inflict damage on the tank. Tanks are traditionally hurt by mines, surface to surface missiles (rocket proelled grenades, whatever) and infantry. A grenade can damage a tank, however, a tank can damage a spear. not the other way around. Why when I am about to crush a society they get even more arrogant towards me? COMEON!! be French for once. Surrender! Do what the oppressor wants. Aircraft carriers can carry way more units. I'm sick of battleships losing to transports. Think in hordes of units rather than good units? try that in the Roman occupation of Britain, when 80,000 uprisers were slaughtered by one 5,000 Roman legionaries. British losses? estimated 80,000. Roman losses? estimated under 400. Everyone still gangs up on you if you are powerful, to a lesser extent but the sentiment is still there. Ok, it still happens with the United States of America today, but it still has *allies*. But in Civ III you'd think that once you were powerful *everyone* would leave you or be intrinsically mistrustful. There are still bugs in the diplomacy menu. Yay. I give them 1000 for a tech, it's close to a deal. add 500 a turn (can afford it), they would never accept it. Maybe I disagree, but when I think this is bad monetary strategy. Sometimes try giving the oppenent everything you have. They would be insulted, honestly. But demand a tribute or give them a punch in the head and they are happy. I bow in awe to the logic. All units do not cost the same. I love the way an aircraft carrier is evaluated the same way as a spearman. Lovely. Units should cost exactly the same as they do in real life, which is, an aircraft carrier with loads of stealth bombers costs a hell of a lot to upkeep. You have to be a first world country to afford it. Some countries in the world feed their entire populace on less than it costs to keep an aircraft carrier and cargo running. Where are B-52's? The most feared bomber in human history is simply missing. Their "bombardment" value is simply unmatched by any aircraft in history. In real life you *can* bunkerbust any "colony". Civilian bombing of foriegn soil creates far more unrest than sinking an enemy battleship after it attacked your mainland. Food should be a tradable resource - Africa is not lacking just food, it's lacking infrastructure to farm it. Civil war happens, it's a reality. It generally happens when people lack confidence in their rulers. Communism is slightly of centre, but bizzarely, less off centre than democracy is implemented in the game. Again... Corruption is just so unrealistic. Cruise missiles need a major upgrade.. their range is too small, bombardment too low, and they seem incapable of delivering precision strikes even though in reality with satellites they can hit within a 10 metre radius. Cultural flips should be toned down at *least* 10%, less, and even more with technology... As the game progresses, it should happen less - it's simplistic to take into account only culture, when history, technology and nationality have everything to do with it - you see, ask an Australian (western) to flip to Indonesia (muslim) because they have had temples longer than you - damn unrealistic in totalilty... and culture flips should be even harder when crossing to a new island/continent. Democracy does not necessarily mean war weariness... sure if you invade Iraq, Vietnam, then of course, there will be sceptics... hit the mainland of your country with some foreign bombs... see how your citizens react then, intellectualism is lost, patriotism is a fever.. it depends *what* you are fighting for.... this is how citizens react to war!!! Some countries also actually have near zero corruption... Incedentally, I work for the Tax Department of my country... how are taxes effectively enforced compared to 100 years ago? Technology. I guarantee it, and I can verify and stand by that generic statement. True democratic states get less corrupt with technology. Maybe the Civ III democratic model is fairly US centric (which is actually a republic), but most of the democratic nations of the world can induce normally binding referendum. Declare war on the Zulus for no reason at all? damn no. If my country had a referendum on this for declaring war for no reason at all, not only would they vote no but nearly overthrow the government if they did not act accordingly. That's the way democracy works. I cannot say it enough. Democracies don't *mind* going to war, so long as the means justifies the end. It's nearly as simple as that. I do not like at all the way democracy is implemented in Civ III. This is a recurring theme I guess, maybe in Ancient Rome the citizens did not care so much what the empire did... but with technology, TV, instant news, comes a little more transparency. Countries cannot simply do as they wish anymore, or it will be breaking news to billions around the world. Globalization causes more interdependant trade relationships. Britain declared war on America for it's Gems resource near San Fransisco. Yeah right. Good one. But that's what happened in Civ II for me. Non-aggression pacts please. Nukes should be a much bigger deal. Half the wars and trade emarbgos today are to do with nuclear capicty. No, you can't manufactour Nukes without a nuclear plant unless you buy the rods yourself. Richer countries should be able to grow quicker (with technology, even quicker with transportation) due to immigration. Some countries in this Earth can literally accept as many people as they want. Future techs please? some of us complete the tech tree before retirement. I'd love to stop those nuclear plants from meting down!!

Please don't blast me over this post, I just want to say what was on my mind. I don't the time to really go over it all and make it more digestable. You know what? Civ III I think was the best upgrade to the Civ series ever. I have played civ religiously since Civ I, original, when we had a 386 at home and I was 14. I love it. Once I dreamt about it. So I am passioniate about the game, far to passioniate. So take my aggressive tone with a grain of salt... or two.

One more thing.... I think after years of playing, the thing I still find the most unrealistic of all, is how city size is dependant totally on immediate agriculture in the surrounding region. Time and time again, in reality, this is just not the case. Food *is* a tradable resource. and city size has *nothing* to do with teh surrounding region, but everything to do with the resources and commerce infrastructure.

Food *IS A TRADABLE RESOURCE* in reality. In Civ II once I had a nice city of 65.... impossible? damn no! IN Civ II you could trade food from one city to another. Adding "1" to a city is of course exponential to size, so before finishing sometimes, I'd make peace with everyone before the space ship landed, and trade food with caravans to max out my population for tax collectors, whatever, to a large city with marketplace, commercial infrastructure. Although that's not the point of what I am saying, it'd be nice to be able to create some mega cities.... not cultural centres like New York, London, Paris.. I mean population overloads like Asia.. Seoul for instance, a good 3 times the size of Nwe York.

I'd like the possibility to set markers. These would have no gameplay function, just a tool for me to remember things. I would primarily use it to mark the places where I'm gonna put my cities. It takes real brain effort trying to remember one spot, keep track of which tiles would be used or not, keep track of whether the next city could work those and do that for three or four cities. And then you change the first spot and must remember if the new city locations would be better or not. I end up staring at the screen for 20 minutes, doing nothing else.:crazyeye:

These could be used in multiplayer as well, you could set a marker for your mate to see, with messages like "take this city", "defend here" etc.

CIV IV is in development confirmed. Release date TBA.

That is what I just read in PC Gamer magazine.

1: Food-"trade" between your connected cities.
How can one defend starvation, when a nerby city enjoys exessive abundance? Maybee a cheap "transport-unit" could be used until railroad appears.

2: Ability to trade and/or lend military units.
Maybe even more elaborate, if one could trade the ability to build certain units to a civ that has yet to discover the needed advance, without accually selling the advance... cut the trade and leave your "friend" stranded with building warriors. =)

3: A second, deeper level of RoP where your actual city can grant asylym to a friends hurt, fleeing unit(s)... letting them stand in your city. Of course this deeper level RoP would unable u to break the deal by attacking before it has expired and been taken of the active deal list... (or status lowered to regular RoP) ...any units still inside would of course be automaticly but politely "shunned" when deal ends.

4: A WHOLE NEW SYSTEM OF CIV TO CIV REPUTATION!!!
I mean... -c'mon.

I think the Rights Of Passage agreement doesn't need to be mutual. In reality countries can be asked/forced to allow foreign troops to pass without having the right to do the same in the foreign country.

Neither does that sort of agreement always mean that the foreign troops can wander about as they please. It's from one point to another. This might not be that easy to implement though so I could do without it.

I think cities should get a cultural bonus for their size. Example:
size 1-4: 0
size 5-7: 1 point per turn
size 8-11: 2 points per turn
etc. The point is that bigger cities mostly have a more vivid cultural life than smaller ones.

(1) In the real world civs rise and fall (due to a lot of reasons but one of them is climate change).
In Civilization civs only rise and if they fall it is only because it is opressed by another rising civ.

It would be cool if the developers would take this in account when creating civ4.

It has to be really cool if you could enter the game as a primitive civ (while the others are already in the medieval age) and grow out to the #1. (think about england in the real world)

(2) btw: IMHO an avarage civ game contains way too many cities. Playing with less cities make the game more interesting.
eg:
- (conquered) Cities become more valuable to you.
- it is possible to introduce (a little) more micromanagement
- resources can be consumed per city instead for the wholo nation. (actually this is a reason which makes the game less crowded of cities)

Originally posted by KingAlbert

Sorry it's a long time since I read this thread but I'd like to react to Ukraineboy's post (not really concerning civ3 but sort of a proof that the spearman vs tank bug did happen in real life).

In the 19th century British troops were massacred by zulu's at Iswhandla (Its not the correct spelling sorry). The British had guns, Zulus were spearman. The British were outnumber by about 1 to 20. Taking into account the average rate of fire it is estimated that the British soldiers would need 12 minutes to kill all the Zulus while the estimated time for Zulu to reach the British lines in full sprint was about 16 minutes. So while the British had all the odds in their favor (superior firepower) they still got massacred. Why? there lines were spread too thin, weakening reducing their rate of fire and creating gaps in the lines through which zulus could infiltrate and surround the British.

Although the spearman vs tank bug is annoying, real life has shown that motivated inferior force can beat a superior force.

For those who are interested, I got my information from a national geographic documentary about the battle.

That's a whole different matter. If a dude, on a horse, with a rifle would ride up to a man with a spear he would obviusly win the fight. Why?
He can is faster.

I have an idea how to increase the advantage of units that use long range weapons over units that have melee weapons.
Well it would be good if the long range unit could get one bonus hit before the battle, kinda like bombardment units act.
Simple but useful.

In another topic there could be somekind of defensive unit to counter the Cavalry or atleast the Knight (because of the AIs weird bonus over player's units). Like I have made several cavalry armies and many stacks of cavalries but I am worried about my defense. I know that as soon I storm in I am going to get totally shredded by the Chinese riders and swordmen.
I propose a unit between the musketman and rifleman.

I've posted this under "Vote for your favorite Civ 4 new feature (or something like that)." I decided to go ahead and post it here.

Name: Joint Research Ventures

What: Let's say there are 5 civs. Civ A and B are ahead of you in research (they've achieved feudalism), and are threating your borders. You can research feudalism, but it's going to be 25 turns away.

Civ C and D are friends of yours; neither of these Civs have feudalism.

So what do you do? Well, normally you would try to:
A) Steal the tech
B) Ramp up the economy and try to buy it
C) Hope you don't get attacked any time soon
D) Go ahead and obliterate Civs A and B ;)

How about this? Let's reward those who are kind to their neighbors by allowing joint research projects, so that Civs C, D, and you can join together to research one tech more quickly.

How: Civs can pool research efforts if they have a clear trade route. Research is shared in the form of "Research per turn" just as gold is. When the tech is researched, the deal is cancelled, and all Civs involved in the project receive the tech.

Now you might be thinking, "Wait a minute. That means I could contribute only 1 beaker of research per turn and get a near freebie?" Well, in theory, yes. However, both human and AI players would require some sort of compensation for your lack of research contribution, so this balances out. Also, if this is the case, it would be no different than someone just giving you an advance, which I haven't seen happen too often.

Where this would really shine is the above scenario, where getting one particular advancement is of critical importance. Where you would take 25 turns to research, it would take all 3 of you 7 turns for your joint project. You will be able to build those pikemen for defense much earlier on.

This adds a whole new dimension in long-term planning: as you could really focus on particular branches of the tech tree, at the detriment of being limited in other areas of research.

The overall time of research would remain the same, as this is the time equivalent as you researching one, C researching one, D researching one, and then trading each other for the missing advances. However, instead of trading the advance, you're trading the beakers needed for the advance, which allows 1 advance 3 times as quickly, rather than 3 advances at normal speed.

The catch to all of this: all participating civs must be able to research the target advance. If Civ D cannot research feudalism, then D cannot contribute toward the joint research project.

Gameplay: Considerations for the player and A.I.

If a Civ breaks the contract, whether by withdrawing, engaging in an embargo, declaring war, etc.:

All accumlated beakers to this point stay toward common goal, so that those who remain in the joint venture continue to contribute toward this goal.

The Civ who withdraws early will receive the amount of beakers that Civ contributed to the project to be put towards its own tech goal. If the offending Civ decides to change tech goals from the one that was began as part of the venture, then no beakers are received. The joint venture would continue between the remaining Civs.

If the project is cancelled when only two remained, each Civ will receive the number of beakers it contributed to the goal toward its own research goal. Again, if either Civ decides to change its research goal from the one began as part of the venture, then all beakers that WOULD have been received are NOT received.

Reputation and A.I. evaluation:

If you pledge a certain number of beakers per turn, and do not meet that goal, you will receive a one turn warning along with a small rep hit (I'm not sure exactly how rep is calculated; this would depend on there being small increments of reputation). If you do not contribute the amount of beakers you pledge the following turn, you are then forced out of the deal, and take the same rep hit as breaking a treaty (however, you would NOT being declaring war). If reputation is modified to consider categories, then it would be a scientific rep hit, but reputation concerning war policy, financial policy, etc., would not be harmed.

If your reputation is questionable or worse, or you have received a warning at some point, then the other Civs can remove you from the deal with a majority vote at no rep penalty to them. This point needs to be worked out with the A.I., so that they can evaluate your harmfulness to their research goals.

Taken together, this means that you must consider whether or not you can have a stable amount of beakers for the number of turns needed. If you feel you can't meet a certain amount, then do an increment less. This forces the player to consider such factors as impending Golden Age (or ending thereof), possible wars, financial situation, government situation, etc.

Please feel free to comment on this, as I would love to see science become even more of a diplomatic and strategic component of the game. I propose this scheme as an option for those Civs slightly behind to be able to keep up by collaborating with others to secure key advances.

Specs: This is not a computational expensive operation, nor is it a programatically difficult problem. Given refinements in the diplomacy screen, conducting agreements with more than one Civ will be possible.

The main problem lies with the A.I.'s evaluation of its research condition. It must be able to see the advantage or researching toward a specific (and vital) goal faster in certain situations, while sacrificing the potential for mass trading.

I hate corruption, and probably anyone who plays on a 362x362 map does. It's nice to have *something* to limit growth, but....

The AI civs seem to not care about corruption, and always grow out of control. E.g., I'll be playing the Russians on El Mencey's 362x362 map, and idiots like the Babylonians will send settlers *through* my territory to build a city in the Kola peninsula (go look at a map and see for yourself how stupid that is).

By about 300AD, any space on Eurasia capable of supporting a city, HAS ONE. This is just plain silly.

Me, I compensate by putting 1000 barbarian huts on the planet. Makes each turn very long, but it does control expansion. And it's realistic, really - how many places on the planet have people settled, without having to conquer or kill the original inhabitants?

But the corruption "method of growth control", to me, is a bit annoying.

#1: it means the Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, English and even (god forbid) the Belgians could never have built colonies on other continents.

#2: to get corruption to work mildly well on a 362x362 map, I had to HACK the game the way people on these boards pointed out, because corruption isn't calculated on the actual size of the map you're playing if your map is nonstandard. It's still dodgy.

#3: even in capitalism (WHOOPS - I MEAN "DEMOCRACY"), there's still rampant corruption once you go past your optimal # of cities. Now, I find it funny that this really is a pro-capitalist game. I mean, they consider democracy to be nothing more than "the government type that makes the most money, and thus makes the poor people happy". It basically enshrines Reaganomics in its citizen attitude calculations - why don't those 8 luxuries all just go to Bill Gates? And btw, since when did democracies like the US *stop* using military troops to enforce citizen moods? Ever been to a political demonstration in a democracy and NOT see a wall of soldiers ready to fire on the crowd?

Yet, even running a capi^H^H^H^H democratic government, I can run into rampant corruption. Why?

I'd keep corruption in some way, but I'd make sure the formulas get fixed, mathematically, so that you don't have the corruption/cities curve crossing the 100% line except at infinity. Make the stupid calculation asymptotic, please? Right now, it crosses the 100% line so early on that they had to kludge the code so it could never be over 90%. And even then you have to hack the default bic/bix file so you can have reasonable levels of corruption on a nonstandard-sized map.

FIX THESE KLUDGES IN V.3 FIRST! DON'T DO WHAT MICROSOFT DOES!

Now, want to limit civ growth in a better way?

New rule.

You can't build a city more than 4-5 squares away from an existing city in your empire - or maybe, its city territory has to connect to another city's territory. If you do build a city far away, you have to connect it by harbour, road, rail or airport as fast as you can. Why? Cos every turn, that city (and all your cities surrounding it who are similarly unconnected) can be given a realistic percentage chance of DECLARING INDEPENDENCE, depending on the amount of unconnectedness they have (and maybe, on how many troops you've stationed there, and on what their attitude is like).

Then, you go one step further, and make sure the AIs behave like they *know* this. Make sure it happens to them too, not like this corruption crap which doesn't seem to bother them.

THAT's realism. I mean, how many world-spanning empires didn't break apart with everyone declaring independence? Even Russia is starting to fall apart now, and they aren't even spanning two continents. Civilization should be about keeping AN empire together, as much as it is about colonisation and conquest.

So that should limit growth. Then, maybe also let EMPTY SPACE spawn barbarians, instead of making them live in huts. That would be smarter. I preferred that aspect of Civ2.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but here it goes...

Surrendering Units:
In both Gulf Wars, we have seen images of Iraqi troops surrendering to the American troops. Why isn't this true in the game? This fact has affected history plenty of times. I think units should all have their own kind of "personalities" and "moods," depending on the government and your treatment of the people back home. If your a strong leader, who does your best to help the citizens and you don't blindly send less powerful units, like say Swordmen to attack more powerful units like Mech Infantry, your troops will develop a sence of trust in you, and will fight with vigor in the name of their country. However, if you abuse and force labor back home, or use doomed attacks, some of your units may become angry at you, and even turn on you. They can also "surrender" to your enemies side, and give them vital details about your civ. They can also surrender for an obvious reason, like it is a Swordman against a Mech Infantry, and the Swordman simply states, "Screw this," and allows themselves to be captured, or, if they are more loyal to you, they will kill themselves instead of being caught. All this would depend on your treatment of the people back home, your system of government and how you use/abuse it, and how tactical you are in troop movement and raiding.

I think that it can bee a very good idea to have the posibility to stockpile the resources.
Also, it will be very realistic to consume this resources when you build new units or when your units/citizens use them (when a tank is moving, it consumes oil, or when a unit uses rail-roads, it will consume coal/oil).
On the map, why can't we see what is the level of a resource?
Sometimes, I just found a new oil source, and in ten turns, it was depleted? Why? Random...I think we shold have countable resources...

I find it unrealistic that there are multitudes of defense advantages, but no offense advantages (am I right?). If a defender is on the plains, and an attacker comes out of the woods or from the hills or mountains then the surprise of the attack should be factored in as an advantage. You may counter this by saying that there wouldn't be a surprise because the defender would still know the attacker is lurking just one square away. Yes, the defenders may be aware of the attackers presence, but under cover of trees or height, they wouldn't be able to know exactly when the attack is coming. This advantage would not apply if the attack was coming from the terrain the defender is occupying.

Attacking from behind could also give an offensive advantage. Military operations always entail attacking the enemy from a vulnerable position, whether it be flank or rear. These advantages would not apply fortified units.

A fast new recon unit traveling with the formation could reduce these advantages. They would exert an "zone of intelligence control" in surrounding squares. They would also have more ability to see in a wider area.

Originally posted by timberwolf4545
I find it unrealistic that there are multitudes of defense advantages, but no offense advantages (am I right?). If a defender is on the plains, and an attacker comes out of the woods or from the hills or mountains then the surprise of the attack should be factored in as an advantage. You may counter this by saying that there wouldn't be a surprise because the defender would still know the attacker is lurking just one square away. Yes, the defenders may be aware of the attackers presence, but under cover of trees or height, they wouldn't be able to know exactly when the attack is coming. This advantage would not apply if the attack was coming from the terrain the defender is occupying.

Attacking from behind could also give an offensive advantage. Military operations always entail attacking the enemy from a vulnerable position, whether it be flank or rear. These advantages would not apply fortified units.

A fast new recon unit traveling with the formation could reduce these advantages. They would exert an "zone of intelligence control" in surrounding squares. They would also have more ability to see in a wider area.

One thing you constantly hear people say here is that Civ is not a wargame. But it is.

I would argue for a hex map for Civ4. This would allow unit facings and provide for flank attacks. There is your attack bonus. As for your recon unit idea, yes, but add opportunity fire to the equation and we suddenly have dynamic combat.

You know, another thing.

In Civ3, I can irrigate a desert square and build a railroad on it. It yields 2 food. Irrigate a grassland square and put a railroad on it and you get what? 4 food? And what happens with a wheat icon? 6 food? 8 food?

So in the modern world, using modern agricultural techniques, grassland is only twice as good as desert? Pft!

I'd strongly suggest the following:

Quit trying to make a desert a food source! Yes, a few people can survive there, mainly on livestock. But you don't typically see cities above 20,000 (size 1?) in the middle of the desert.

Same with tundra. The entire Canadian population of the Inuit, at their height, was probably less than the population of London England at the same time. The old seals resource from Civ2, and the glacier terrain type, might be in need of coming back.

Make fertile land REALLY fertile, okay? If grassland's the best there is, let grassland yield some amazing amount like 10 food. Otherwise, it's very difficult for you to have a game on a realistic real-world map where most of Germany can have a population density of over 100/sq.km. (which it has in real life), or where Mexico City can have 10 million people (like in real life). Perhaps, allow modern advances to drastically increase food productivity per land square (which, in the real world, it does). Civ2's "farmland" order is something I really miss.

Why can't jungles be fertile food-producing areas? Lots of civilizations cashed in big-time on jungles and their comparatively high density of fruit and wildlife. The Olmecs & Toltecs, the Indonesians and Khmer....

And, why not allow the shifting of food between cities, say upon discovery of railroad? The old "food caravans" idea in Civ2 was sort of flawed, sure; but the concept should have stuck around somehow. I mean, allowing transfer of food from one city to another, once you discover railroads at least, would allow you to have e.g. Murmansk grow to a half million people while being stuck in the middle of infertile tundra. Or you could support West Berlin on a city radius of 1, just by airlifting food in from Western Europe (which essentially happened).

In fact, why not make food icons a tradeable resource? That might REALLY make the game interesting, if you happen to be the guy who starts out in grassland. You could have famine caused by war (which really happens); you could have food-exporters wielding power (which really happens).

One other nifty thing might be to allow civilizations to come into existence at specific points in time, instead of everyone starting at 4000BC. I personally prefer real-world games to scenarios, and don't want to have to hack into the game to create the Kurgans just because I personally feel it's unrealistic to play any subsequent Indo-Europeans.

I think this is where a "remote regions of your empire declaring independence because they're unconnected" idea could come in. Why have the Americans existing in 4000BC - in a REAL world scenario? But it'd be really cool if I had to worry about my North American colonies declaring independence and BECOMING the Americans, or Ecuadorans, or Uruguayans. Hey - all of a sudden, it becomes a very culturally inclusive game, eh?

And after all, how many wars are between sovereign nations, ever? Most are civil wars and wars of independence, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by KingAlbert

Sorry it's a long time since I read this thread but I'd like to react to Ukraineboy's post (not really concerning civ3 but sort of a proof that the spearman vs tank bug did happen in real life).

In the 19th century British troops were massacred by zulu's at Iswhandla (Its not the correct spelling sorry). The British had guns, Zulus were spearman. The British were outnumber by about 1 to 20. Taking into account the average rate of fire it is estimated that the British soldiers would need 12 minutes to kill all the Zulus while the estimated time for Zulu to reach the British lines in full sprint was about 16 minutes. So while the British had all the odds in their favor (superior firepower) they still got massacred. Why? there lines were spread too thin, weakening reducing their rate of fire and creating gaps in the lines through which zulus could infiltrate and surround the British.

Although the spearman vs tank bug is annoying, real life has shown that motivated inferior force can beat a superior force.

For those who are interested, I got my information from a national geographic documentary about the battle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but that's completely different! - of course superior numbers make all the difference in open infantry battles (such as the predetermined medieval rushes unlike the strategic stealth maneouvres nowadays), but a spearman cannot in reality beat a competent tank team for several reasons;
a) spearmen are from the wrong era - they would have no practical knowledge of how to storm a heavy assault vehicle and could thus not wrest control of the vehicle
b) there is no way a standard stone-and-wood or metal-and-wood spear is physically able to penetrate a layer of solid bulletproof armour.. although perhaps a constantly replaced spear hammered in one point might make a dent after several months
c) a tank could easily ride down a spearman or take them with indirect fire

the only ways I can think a spearman can destroy a tank would be to revert to modern knowledge and techniiques and use explosives or draw the tank into inhospitable terrain but of course to do that they would need to be upgraded to riflemen unless they were EXTREMELY lucky or clever (ie. reduce chance of them successfully attacking)

like some people have mentioned there should be severe consequences for some units taking on units from the wrong era

That's a whole different matter. If a dude, on a horse, with a rifle would ride up to a man with a spear he would obviusly win the fight. Why?
He can is faster.

Actually you're wrong there - him moving faster would be his downfall. Spears are 'guard' weapons designed specifically to hold back lines with the aid of polearms as a form of portable palisaide. Such defences were most often directed against cavalry - so cavalry charges tended to fail against large groups of spearmen unless they held far superior numbers or some sort of mechanical ram or ranged ballistic to break the line.
The dude on the horse should instead use the rifle because ranged attacks can easily take out such units.
As unbalanced as Empire Earth's combat system could be to different play styles, it's roots are in reality with the rock, paper, scissors behavior of shock, ranged and guard units

I propose a unit between the musketman and rifleman

wasn't that done in a previous Civ as a musketeer or such?

Sorry if i don't have specifics, just ideas:

A surrender by civ or city option;

When a civ is annihilated, any unit left should turn rebel, with a chance to take over another city(if military) and reestablish civ.

A med/mech unit for healing/repairing units anywhere in one turn.

A military academy for units to train. They would be put in limbo for x turns, and when in combat, promoted quicker.(sea, land, and air academies)

An updated foreign adviser screen which takes into account total gold, tech status, and what resources are being traded to who.

Abiltity to improve intelligence missions: able to see what other civs are looking at in your civ; hiding a large production of units from being seen by other spies; and a chance at disinformation. In other words, catching the other spy and turning him. And a way of stealing resources.

Involving culture flips: I play with a great deal of cities and when another civ flips to me, it causes a corruption problem.

That's it for now, and thanks for listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom