the oobs 3rd pitboss game (Warlords), 14 players

Don't have another half an hour... Might be able to login in 3 hours..

Great game everyone. I am sure this was not what everyone envisioned when they started this game. At least i hope i have proved to some that tech trading is stupid as they force people to form unnatural alliances if they want to win... I was lucky that DR. Strangeloves main objective was to take out oob and that he was willing to cooperate with me towards that objective. A couple things made the game a bit less than perfect though. There were several incompetent and/or incosistent players. They could have no idea what to do with their civ and no will to learn or just didn't log in enough to keep up with the game. Such players makes the game less fun for me. Fighting cavs against archers isn't really fun.. Of course all players can't be same skill level but people should at least put in some effort if they are willing to sign up for a multiple month game. The second thing is all the connection issues. It is a bit annoying that the game would go down alot and using 10 minutes to connect to the game seemed a bit unnecessary. Despite all that it was a great run game even if the settings weren't optimal(tech trading? vassal states? goodie huts? terra?). I hope you will be willing to host more games as the community need such "good" hosts as you who have no nonsense running their games. :goodjob: oob. Hope to see more of you around.

Attachments

• replay.zip
    90.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Civ4ScreenShot0082.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0082.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Civ4ScreenShot0054.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0054.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 145
Yeah my earlier game ('oobs 2nd game') didn't have tech trading for the reason we've seen, unfortunately that became unbalanced as well as I gained enough of a lead that no one had a chance of catching up. Without modding, it is very difficult to have a free-for-all game of civ which will stay balanced up until the industrial era.

Anyway, I've gotten pretty tired of Civ 4, and since I would only host a game that I myself intend to play in, I won't be hosting any more other than my 4th game which is currently running. Civ games are a cycle for me: a new one comes out, play that for a while, then I'm tired of it until the time the next one comes out.

Well played Oyzar. About the connection problems, I'm not sure how it was taking you that long... my connection has 16KB/sec upstream (which I was capping to 10KB/sec), so it shouldn't be taking that long to connect. Was anyone else having these issues on a regular basis? Don't reply if you're on a 56k modem.

In case anyone's interested, we started in april of last year, so it took about 9 months to play, with an accelerated start session that saved us about two weeks. For comparison, my last game (which had a more successful accelerated start) lasted about 13 months if I remember right, but made it to a space race victory.

Well that gaining of lead is probably more due to unbalanced amount of players than the tech trading. The game mechanics doesn't lend itself very well to getting all the way to the industrial era though. There are just too many points in the game where it is possible to get a huge military advantage and capitalizing on that. Compared to the last game i finished this one took about 10 times as long http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=676 as you can see that ended after this one in terms of gametime although we did have multiple live sessions there and way fewer players to start with. I think you mentioned earlier that you limited your upload to 10 kbs? is this no longer true? I normally download stuff at 1MBs, so i doubt the problem was at my end..

You played BTS yet? it bring several changes into the game.

Well that gaining of lead is probably more due to unbalanced amount of players than the tech trading. The game mechanics doesn't lend itself very well to getting all the way to the industrial era though. There are just too many points in the game where it is possible to get a huge military advantage and capitalizing on that. Compared to the last game i finished this one took about 10 times as long http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=676 as you can see that ended after this one in terms of gametime although we did have multiple live sessions there and way fewer players to start with.

It doesn't help that people play foolishly... in theory, the game will remain balanced because everyone will gang up on the top player. In practice, people don't do this, because they want to stay in the game, despite it meaning they lose later. All that would mean to me is a long drawn out loss... if I know I'm going to lose, I would rather just quit the game and hand it to someone else, there have always been plenty of people who want to play pitboss.

Just to remind everyone: unless your name is Oyzar, YOU LOST :p. There is no second place.

I think you mentioned earlier that you limited your upload to 10 kbs? is this no longer true? I normally download stuff at 1MBs, so i doubt the problem was at my end..

Yeah, the save files are around 100 kilobytes though, so that can't be the reason. It's wierd.

You played BTS yet? it bring several changes into the game.
Have played it a bit. The thing where you have points at the start which you can spend on cities/units/etc. will be great for pitboss, too late for me though.

Congrats to Oyzar, you had a great game...
Oob, congrats to you, too, you was a excellent host. Very professional, I have no complains... Truly, it's shame that there is no more such numerous pitboss hosts like you:goodjob:

On the other hand, about the game itself, it was very strange game for me... I saw several civs that had no pretty starting position, and they very "dead" from the beginning... For example, Da Vinci's land was awful... So much ice... Bolkonsky has bad starting position, because of resources... I had so much luck, and I popped 2 tech from hoots, and one of them was Iron Working... And I first knew who had iron and bronze and who not... NVP was really n00b, and he left the game after his loses, but scared both me and Bolkonsky... I had OK position, but my first 2-3 cities were very, vary bad with production, and it took some time to grab good land... In the meantime, Oyz add Dr.Str made their coalition, and started Oyz big boom...
Oyz has great deal of luck, because his financial trait has great advantage in combination with his land...

About game settings- trades really speed up game, but they can make some game unbalanced... Also, pacts with other civs gives you very strong point, but it's poor that it depends of how much time you are ready to spend in front of your monitor, writing messages to other leaders :p

At the end, thanks to all players who made this game great. It was one good experience, and many of us learned a lot during this game...

Oob,you have been awesome host, and if you are willing to host another games, it would be great!!!

Congratulations ozyar.

I am thinking of hosting a game my self, but first thing I need to know, will people be able to contact my computer while it is in standby mode? I am thinking not, but it might be possible.

Congrats oyzar! :goodjob:

Seems to me that prearranged teams, perhaps with an always war status, might keep balance for the longest time (unless someone gets wiped out at the start). The free for all approach has lots of opportunities for imbalance.

dV

Congratulations Oyzar.

The problem with playing the full game with tech trading on is that it only really works when most players know what they are doing by which I mean

1.) they need to keep an eye on their neighbours and deal with the greatest threat and

2.) they need to be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of trading various techs.

Failure to do that results in imbalances as we have just seen.

Civ is a complicated game. The advantage of playing moves slowly in Pitboss is that it allows time for thought and diplomacy and can be more satisfying. My preference is to play on epic speed as it allows more time for fairly rational alliances to form. In the limited number of Pitboss games I have played my criticism is that not enough time is spent on thought going into on moves and the diplomacy is at times very weak. Some players just seem to be involved in too many games. I find that one or two is the most I can handle at any one time.

Nonetheless it was a good victory Oyzar. I learnt quite a lot playing and I look forward to seeing you in other games in the future.

Bolkonsky.

Congratulations ozyar.

I am thinking of hosting a game my self, but first thing I need to know, will people be able to contact my computer while it is in standby mode? I am thinking not, but it might be possible.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I wouldn't do it unless I had a second computer for it.

Congrats oyzar! :goodjob:

Seems to me that prearranged teams, perhaps with an always war status, might keep balance for the longest time (unless someone gets wiped out at the start). The free for all approach has lots of opportunities for imbalance.

dV

I have played in two always war team games, one is still playing. In both games there have been one team that has got an advantage and as a result it means that that team will go one and win the game. I was on the wrong side of one of those games and i am one the right side on the other game. So it does still have the same problems that every other game has. Here is the civstats for the current game always war team game. http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=441 You can see that the top team, the top three are clearly going to run away with this game since we clearly have a massive advantage.

I think it really depends on the skill of the player. That is why is great for me to play these games, because I am learning way faster than I ever would playing against the AI.

Care to move this game to the finished section?

Top Bottom