1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The OOS Issues that Plague This Game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Calbrenar, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Horadrim

Horadrim Chieftain

Ill get on this, ill run a 251 turn game for each scenario you mentioned with the civs on the lowest difficulty over my lan using one xp and one vista. Give me a few days to do it.

2. Uberness

Uberness Warlord

I don't have any out of sync problems playing online BTS or Earth on BTS, or player made modded BTS earth, only around turn 120-150 in FFH, used to get it early around turn 50-60 sometimes but after moving firaxis from Program files x86 to Program files it stopped the early oos

3. Horadrim

Horadrim Chieftain

I tried that uberness it didnt solve the problem for me

4. Uberness

Uberness Warlord

Will there be any minor sync fixs attempting in upcoming patchs or should I try installing xp over vista and see how it goes for online play?

5. MrPopov

MrPopov King

i want to chime in here. My friend and I have been playing FFH .31 and .32 3 days a week for several months. He has a brand new laptop with Vista 32 and I am on a 4 year old laptop with XP Pro. We have had probably 3 games which we've had to abandon due to OOS every turn.

For the last 3 weeks however we haven't had really any OOS issues, however we have made a habit of using NO Events turned ON. Usually we play small maps at normal speed. Other settings include no Octopus Overlords, NO AI building reqs (though we leave that off in the latest games), Wildlands, Blessings of Amathaon, No Vassal, No Tribal Villages, No Lairs, and sometimes Permanent Alliances on (when we start as seperate teams) or off when we start on the same team.

Oh and we play Simultaneos (sic) turns.

6. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

To disable events really helps a lot. So far we (me and 3 friends on XP machines) made it to turn 350 without any problems. With events activated, we had to stop somewhere between turn 200 to 250 because of constant OOS in the past. A shame, that a lot of the cool stuff in FfH is somehow connected to events ...

7. Kael

Kael Deity

If I can figure out which ones it is I can but an attribute on them and just disable those specific ones in multiplayer games.

8. overdark

overdark Chieftain

This is just a heads up (not sure if it's been posted elsewhere -- I'm cross-posting it from the main FFH thread) -- whenever Hyborem captures a city, it causes an OOS error (I tested this by attempting to play as Hyborem). This might also explain some OOS errors my friends and I have had when Hyborem's in the game. And, while I'm on the subject of Hyborem, isn't expansive a worthless trait for him? Thanks again for all of your hard work on this great mod; it's the only Civ I play any more.

9. James the Wise

James the Wise Chieftain

I second that

I was thinking maybe until fixed a note in the readme and/or download page about OOS errors on Vista+XP multiplayer games should be added.

As I know myself it took me a long time to figure this out and there are probably many people who get this mod and do not visit these forums or browse them enough to find this out the easy way.
    It would also prevent the layman from simply assuming the mod doesnt work on multiplayer and then stop playing it.

Of course Vista+XP OOS'ing is not the only kind, but in my experience is certainly the most extreme (to the point of games becomming unplayable)

10. clain

clain Chieftain

I don't know what's wrong with my setup. I tested many proposed solution but none helped.
    Starting with FFH 2 030 it's not possible for me to create a pitboss-game, because after building the first city and reconnecting it's OOS.
    I tried: Windows-Pitboss, Linux-Wine-Pitboss, WinXP, Vista, FFH2030, FFH2031 (up to D), FFH2032 (up to L), events vs. no events, advanced start vs. no adv start, various maps and options.
    Don't know what to try next :-(
    What worked for me: Vanilla-BtS-Pitboss on Linux-Wine and WinXP-Client; FFH2023
    Can someone here give me a description of his working setup for Pitboss-FFH2032?
    Thanx a lot!
    clain

11. ShadowDrgn

ShadowDrgn Chieftain

View attachment OOS on 78.CivBeyondSwordSave

A friend and I were playing this game, and it went out of sync on turn 78 three times in a row before we gave up. Random seed on reload is enabled, but didn't seem to save us from the OOS. Save is from turn 76. Each of the three times, he said he got one of the astrologer events, although I only saw one the second time, not the first or third. The one I got was the Silver Tears constellation.

12. Snarks

Snarks Chieftain

I have a group of mates that I usually play FfH2 PatchL, FF 0.41 Patch D on Civ4 BtS 3.17 with but I always get desync from the group. I am running Windows Vista while everyone else is running XP. Desyncs usually occur at 250-350 turns and every attempted reload will lead to an OOS within 1-5 turns. Does anyone know of a way to fix OOS between XP and Vista users?

To make it clear, this problem has persisted before we started playing Fall Further. It has always been me who desyncs from the group. I'm running Civ BtS off of Steam as well.

13. Goodgimp

Goodgimp Warlord

My LAN group might be a little different than most others, since there are 4 of us and we all use Vista. However, I can report that we've as of yet never encountered an unrecoverable OOS in all our time playing. We get the occasional OOS that occurs every 3-4 hours, but a restart of the game has always resolved it thus far.

So while there may be issues with XP <-----> Vista, I don't think Vista in itself is any kind of problem.

14. slowcar

slowcar King

my first 0.33 MP ended with 4 OOS in a row, after reload it ran for two rounds until spamming in red again :(
    vista + xp again.

15. Kael

Kael Deity

I chatted with Firaxis a little about the OOS issues we see in multiplayer games between Xp and Vista. They weren't familiar with differing OS OOS's but suggested the following possible causes:

1. Try to look for any system calls in your python scripts that may be handled differently in Vista and XP.

2. Another possibility is if you use floating-point arithmetic. I believe rounding could cause differences in results on two machines, especially if one of them is 64-bit but not the other.

Im not aware of doing either but Im going to dig through the code and see what I can find. Im posting it publically for other folks who reguarly dig through the code and may have insight (Xienwolf, Sto, Teg, etc).

16. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

I can only confirm constant OOS when Infernals and especially Basium come in play.

17. Sto

Sto Should i code today ...

have you tried to save the game. Every one EXIT civ IV, then reload ?

That may be a track too. I've done about 7 entire MP games (2-4 xp OS) with compact enforced option and no OOS except some little network failure (an event send "clear" on update but do the work after ^^, so if disconnected reconnected at this very short moment -> OOS).
    I will think about floating number and OS python handling while tracking some code in the game.

Tcho !

18. Kael

Kael Deity

Yeah, introducing a new player midgame isn't something the sync events were built to handle. I dont know a way to work around that one. The good news is you should be able to reconnect to work around it (and you can always shut it off with the "compact enforced" option).

Im more worried about the ones that you cant reconnect to work around.

19. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

Well, with these two in play we had OOS every turn, so we started a 'crusade to enforce the compact' and warred against both simultaneously. It was kinnda cool flavourwise, but we did have an OOS every turn and that stopped when we destroyed them both.

20. Klaerth

Klaerth Chieftain

For those whom are getting OOS every game...I think there is most assuredly an issue in games where both Vista and XP machines are being used.

A friend and I have played the game for a couple of weeks now, a game or two a day (each until around turn 250 where OOS issues tend to pop up, though they have been much earlier or later, as well...and very random. None of the typical solutions seemed to have any effect.), with myself having XP and him using Vista.

Being fed up with the constant OOS issues, I just last night upgraded to Vista Business...and we've now played a game fine up to turn 600, not a single OOS.