The rarest CiV thing ever...

smallfish

Immortal
An AI-built Ironclad...

Spoiler :

Really wished I had played as Korea here.

Ive seen it once, it was the Iriqous. The ironclad is so painfully pointless, it should at least be able to enter ocean tiles.

This is only the 2nd rarest thing . The rarest one is winning Domination victory without capturing any city . I'll probably die and never see someone who achieve such thing in a legitimate way.

I've seen it exactly twice in several hundred hours of Civ 5 play. The AI seemed more inclined to build them in Civ 4 though.

Side note: if you play as Polynesia your Ironclads can cross deep water tiles.

This is only the 2nd rarest thing . The rarest one is winning Domination victory without capturing any city . I'll probably die and never see someone who achieve such thing in a legitimate way.

On lower difficulties, it could probably be workable by bribing civs to war with each other, and later on gifting mass amounts of units to allied CSs, then declaring war (which technically you've allowed). On higher difficulties, that would be very interesting to try indeed.

I just checked Steam and the rarest thing in Civ V is losing the Korean scenario as Korea. I never played scenarios much until Civ V. I spent some time trying to earn badges, but some of the scenarios so change the game that my carefully developed strategies don't apply.

I think some badges are much more difficult to earn, but badges for losing a scenario a certain way... Why would I want to accomplish that?

I was playing as Spain as I'm half heartedly trying to win with most Civs, and noticed you can have Frigates before you invent cannon, yet my Frigate clearly shoots cannons... I think you can even research the tech that lets you build Frigates without discovering Iron Working...

Worst of all it appears you can build a castle without discovering the Engineering tech. I know the expansion is going to adjust the tech tree some. And I know it is a game and design decisions are made for playability and profitability but there are definitely oddities in Civ V.

I've build the odd Iron Clad though I agree they aren't great, on the right map they make sense. Someone on another thread about Unique Units commented that defensive unique units will always lose popularity contests. And it is true I think most Civ players play much more aggressively than myself and resort to war as their first, primary, and only strategy. Consequently units, techs, and Civs that are defensive or need a longer time to become powerful are devalued.

My biggest untested theory in Civ is that map size would make certain civs more powerful say Spain or England or America and due to real world time and processing power constraints. Your civilization preference isn't just based on tactics but map size and thus game settings. Civ will never become a spectator sport game, though people watch chess so who knows... Perhaps on larger maps defending your continent becomes more of a necessity and coastal defense boats, which is what the Ironclad is in Civilization V become a valued commodity.

They require Iron and many other things require Iron so most people would rather have Trebuchets and Long Swordsman and probably prioritized their research to get those techs, using up what little iron they have providing a disincentive to research and build ironclads.

I also think their is a subset of Civ players that always play Pangaea maps and don't want to waste time research naval tech and building naval units.

Steam does give the game designer a lot of information they can use to refine the game, rather than just relying on the most talkative folks online. :mischief:

to get the korean achievement you could gift a civ an ironclad, declare war on them, and then kill the aforementioned ironclad with some turtle ships.

to get the korean achievement you could gift a civ an ironclad, declare war on them, and then kill the aforementioned ironclad with some turtle ships.

where's the fun in that?

Top Bottom