The Refugee System

River Otter

Chieftain
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have looked on the Steam Workshop and on this site for anything like I'm trying to do, as I'm relatively new to coding, and I realize the project I'm attempting is not a simple model replacement. Unfortunately, other than this post on Workshop and an old thread about creating faith based refugee camps, it looks like this is so far an untested idea.

The following is a summary of what I'm trying to do. Any help on what functions I should be looking for to edit, or how to visualize a new system would be greatly appreciated.
__________________________________________________________________________________
I've looked at the code of the mod on Workshop, and it looks like it deals with only if a city is razed. I want to adjust population growth rates of surrounding cities not currently at war, or if there are none, increase barbarian spawn rates. The original mod maker listed the rate of population transfer as 25% of the razed population.

I want to do something similar, but have effects that change depending on the era.
__________________________________________________________________________________

The Refugee System aims to simulate the movement of people not killed by an event within the cities of a Civilization. In vanilla Civ, population takes a hit whenever it is captured. It's assumed that a portion of the population is killed or driven out of the city proper. In reality, many try to gain asylum in neighboring civs not involved in the current conflict.

I want to incentivize neighboring civs to respond to threats outside their borders by having repercussions to wars close to home, regardless of involvement.

MAIN MOD:
1) When a city is captured (early game) increase the spawn rate of barbarians surrounding that city (Up to 6 tiles away from city center)
2) When a city is captured (late game), increase population growth of closest city not in current conflict, starting when city enters rebellion and ending in 10 turns. (In case of tie, priority on city with a trade route to the captured city)
The next things are beyond the level I think I will be able to do, but are interesting to attempt to visualize.

EXTRA STEPS:
Extra Graphics needed to show REFUGEES

1) List the extra citizens gained as REFUGEES, which provide half yield to the tiles they work, and gain extra negative amenities for all regular citizens not working.
Note: Is it possible to create a separate system of non-citizens inside a city?

2) Make REFUGEE CAMP tile improvements that gather and translate refugees working them to regular citizens (Can only be worked by REFUGEES, and will provide X less negative amenities per turn for the city for every camp worked)
Note: extra benefits for adjacent camps???

3) Upgrade Barbarian Camps to REBELLION OUTPOSTS late game which spawn units faster and has extra defense (possibly as a bunker or as a walled encampment)
Note: The balance issue of just increasing barbarian spawns is that it's generally free money and era score for a well built army. Lore-wise, in real conflict everyone dissenting against new rule doesn't roll over and die in their homeland. Sometimes they bunker down and form rebellions. Almost like a mini-city-state, they get funds and weapons to fight back. However unlike real life, it seems ridiculous to give the loser of such loser such an insane catch-up mechanic.

I don't know how viable any of this is, but it will be an interesting learning experience regardless.

Thank you for your time,
River

Top Bottom