The return of the blimp: First passanger blimps since 1937 may take off in 2025

This hasn't been done since 1937 so I think they will have to create new ones based on the ones that Nazi Germany applied back in the day. Maybe that explains why it will take this long, who knows?

No mentioning of a prize? I'm still curious.
I wonder how they do in very windy conditions?

My sceptical side is wondering here as well.

It seems that the flexible blimp can take a harder beating from windy conditions (carbon fibre structure etc).

Another technical aspect needing to be handled is that after delivering cargo, you need cargo or ballast weight back. Or reduce drastically your lift (which you cannot do by venting Helium because too expensive).

The math on the economy (yet) unclear, and perhaps the only general, overall upside is that it is faster in delivering "green" and "silent" transport to the market than fixed wing aircraft.

Perhaps for cargo the lasting market is "longer distance" destinations where fixed wing aircraft cannot come and choppers are too expensive whether for the whole distance or in the combi of first fixed wing and then choppers.
Perhaps for leisure passengers the lasting market is also based on the special experience from the flight and reaching directly destinations without (small) airports. A bit like now people having a trip with a hot-air balloon on their bucket list.

My guess is a nice niche market.

I wonder how they do in very windy conditions?
Having in mind blimps can reach a cruiser speed of 50 knots or so they will get in serious problems with any significant wind.

I see this project mostly like a tourist attraction, a nice way of connecting the islands with mainland Spain mostly for summer since in autumn and winter strong winds like levante or tramontana are usual in the zone.

Blimps are really slow compared with the competition. I don't really see them having any future for passenger transport.

Maybe they can sell one to Jacob Rees-Mogg, because he's Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Blimps are really slow compared with the competition. I don't really see them having any future for passenger transport.

Maybe they can sell one to Jacob Rees-Mogg, because he's Jacob Rees-Mogg.
I think their primary advantage over planes is that they're better for the environment. So, yeah, I don't see them having much of a future, either.

Any blimpy updates?

You asked for blimpy updates and gangleri2001 delivers (when there are any relevant). Even though these news are from nearly one month ago I learnt from them today so here it is:

OceanSky to test the first air cruise since the 1930's with a high-end air cruise (estimated price ∼200,000 USD) in the North Pole set to be launched in February 2024. The duration of the journey, however, will only be 15 hours. Another six-day-long air cruise uniting South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Zambia in the works.

It looks like this air cruise will be a test on the possibilities of air cruises as well as a way to attract possible investors rather than being an actual serious attempt of creating a serious air cruise.

Last edited:
Are there a lot of customers for a high end cruise?

I cant stop thinking of the episode in Archer.

Are there a lot of customers for a high end cruise?

I cant stop thinking of the episode in Archer.

Both the fictional cruise in the episode from Archer and this high-end cruise in the North Pole are clearly meant to prospect for investors and nothing else. The real test of fire for air cruises will be a real commercial one, such as the one in Southern Africa they say they are working on. The North Pole cruise is just a technical test (15 hours cruise? Really?) and a publicity stunt addressed to prospective investors. Don't expect much from it in terms of actual enjoyment for the general public or general development of the blimp industry.

In the meantime, all quiet in the passanger blimp front. No news from Air Nostrum since last June they announced the first passanger line was expected to first take off in 2026. No news from Air Nostrum or any other company for that matter. However, they already said that all the licensing process would take its time so you can't say this lack of news wasn't expected either. Right now, patience is the name of the game for those of us willing to live the passanger experience.

Last edited:
I would still be impressed if one is built and actually ..sailed? blimp'd? Even if its a stratospheric economic loss.

I would still be impressed if one is built and actually ..sailed? blimp'd? Even if its a stratospheric economic loss.
:confused:

HAV has already built one fully-operational Airlander 10 and you can easily find videos of its test flights in Youtube.

I suppose that the correct word would be ‘launched’?

Also, regarding this transpolar flight: how does the different density of air due to the low temperature affect the flying capabilities of a blimp?

Also, regarding this transpolar flight: how does the different density of air due to the low temperature affect the flying capabilities of a blimp?
With hot air balloons it is the difference between the temp inside that bag and the air outside that is important.

Well, yes, the temperature difference matters because buoyancy about relative density. I assume that gas-filled blimps would fly higher, perhaps, but I don't know by how much.

These blimps are heavier than air and make up the difference by generating a small amount of lift. Mainly to be able to take off and land without having to vent expensive helium, but this should also make them fairly resistant to variations in air pressure.

Top Bottom