The RPG is dying.....

i second it... this also shows in the recent IMPROTANT land upkeep poll which only has 3 votes now :-(

i would say: if we dont get more than 7 votes in that poll we let TF close-and-archive the whole rpg-forum due to lack of participation.

We can try to Advertise the RPG globaly to the Demogame.

I have noticed that the RPG is dying, but I must help the demogame first priority, leaving the RPG in the dust.

ok. as stuck has also left, and i was put in charge by him before,

i now request the managers to decide whether we should officially kill the rpg, requesting of the mods to close the subforum and archive it.

please officially state your vote in here, yes, no or abstain (only rpg-managers!)

The demogame is way too complex for people. This is suppose to be the funnest part of the demogame, people.

Problems with simplicity-
-I know some don't want the sci-fi stuff. That's fine. As you notice the jedi are using swords.
-Some want characters to be able to die. That's fine by me. Characters shouldn't live forever, but they shouldn't die every chat. I think a life should last to up to 1000 years in the actual game.

Let's talk about this, before we end it.

Note: I didn't vote yet.

I vote Abstain

I Vote No, We should keep the RPG and try to fix it.

Originally posted by Civanator
I say totally revert to the last RPG, where we can do almost anything. That was a good RPG...

i agree, but just change a few things.

@zarn: well, we had about 10 players when the characters died every chat. now the rules were changed when ct left to let the characters live forever, and we only have 3 participants.... strange? yes it is... i think as people lost interest in the dg, they also lost interest in the rpg. as the rpg always only had a small fraction of the dg-participants as players, this has the devasting effect on the rpg that it dies out.

i would vote: YES, archive the existing rpg and construct a completely new one. work on the rules to keep them simple, have some trial runs and be prepared to have a completete ruleset for the next dg (if there ever is one)

also, i think maybe having the rpg run as part of the dg is a bad idea. the limits are too harsh. see the war we had with egypt? the storylines evolved and were completely destroyed by the dg results... maybe having the rpg as completely seperated game would be a better idea. but thats not the point here.... :)

@civanator: many things were bad there... for example that we could do anything, which spoiled many people because some of us just cant loose and suddenly invented irrational things to prevent them from loosing (i braught this to an extreme with the vampires... as an example of how irreal and unfair to people trying to play fair the rpg was)

And now to throw in my 2 cents....

I think there are a number of factors adversely affecting this RPG. Put simply, they are:

1. Lack of interest in Demogame Proper.
2. Lack of interesting storylines.
3. Overly complicated rule system.
4. We are not in the Golden Age of RPGing.
5. Disappearance of old-timers, veterans, and hard-line Shaitanists.

Expanding on #4: I was not in the last RPG from the beginning. I joined late, but became an active participant. Why didn't I join from the beginning? The era! If you look at most RPG games on the internet, they take place in some sort of easy realistic or fantasy world modelled largely around the European Middle Ages. That is the Golden Age of the RPG game. In the last game, the early Middle Ages (the age of Chivalry, the age of men-at-arms and wandering travelers) was when we had our best plots, our longest and best stories, the most fun. In the Ancient Age there just isn't all that much to do, and in the more modern ages (from mid-industrial to end-game Modern) things are too complex, too modern to roleplay in a fun way. Once the automobile, the tank, the airplane, and other modern vessels are introduced, the days of wandering men on horseback are over, and with it the most fun aspect of the game. The only successful storylines in the Industrial Age last game involved an artistic revolution put down by paratroopers, and the end of the world! Sad, isn't it? I feel that is largely contributing to this game's failrue. We are taking our sweet time in an age that isn't RPG-friendly. There are hardly any Noble houses, there is certainly no infighting, and our characters just aren't well-developed yet.

All I am saying in this long-winded, incoherent rant that I am writing after being home an hour from a 12-hour flight from Hawaii is that we need to give the RPG a chance to mature. We must adress the issues, and see what happens. Don't kill it before we've seen its full potential, folks.

Like some other people said, bring back the old rules! The reason I left was because of the rules! Too many and I didn't like to die. ;) But there is one thing I didn't like about the old rules and should be changed if we do bring them back...The stock exchange. I don't think a certain number of people should be able to become rich off certain stocks while new people to the game struggle to start. That was (I think) the one bad thing about the old rules.

@gunning: with the rules we have at the moment you can not die of natural reasons, but only if you are killed ;-)

Originally posted by gunning1
I don't think a certain number of people should be able to become rich off certain stocks while new people to the game struggle to start. That was (I think) the one bad thing about the old rules.
Sounds a bit like real life, personally, I would love to have a stock exchange here.

stock exchanges can only be built with ptw :p
to take the tech rule to an extreme ;-)
so you will have to be satisfied with bank...
(just a joke!)

Top Bottom