The Scots as a Civilisation?

I think most English and Scottish Unionists would laugh at your ' brotherly' concept Calgacus.

Hey, the brotherly concept is not my concept, it's the one I'm attacking.

The reasons why the Union has worked for 300 years is that it just plain makes good sense. It did then and it still does now.

The reason why the Union worked/works is because the forces opposed to it were/are weaker than those in favor. The rest is subjective.

While states in your part of the world, the Balkans and Eastern Europe

This is funny. :lol:

While states in your part of the world, the Balkans and Eastern Europe, fracture into ever smaller and less important components , we have the sense to stay together and retain our status as a world player

The extent to which England/Britain/UK is a world player will go unchanged whether or not they lose 5 millions Scots. They could make that up with a few years of immigration. :lol: As for the Scots, I'm sure many of them would rather their extensive natural resources were used for the benefit of Scots rather than drained for a state-of-the-art military and nuclear arsenal that could never actually be used just in order to prop up the ego and prestige of England/Britain/UK. We ain't living in the 19th century any more my friend.

Forget the SNP, they are the one party wanting independence . The other 3 main ones all stand for the Union.

That is unfortunately a prop-up. Support for independence far outways support for the SNP; I can't remember specifically, but according to one poll a little while ago, nearly half of Labour supporters support independence. The system is propped up by the current previously London-orientated political establishment, and buffers Scotland against sudden rises in pro-independence sentiment (it probably saved the Union on many occasions, but we'll never know), the kind of sudden event-based rises that break up many states (remember, you only need one). My fear for the UK is that this elite establishment consensus - which functions in the similar way to preventing capital punishment - will erode over time; but you never know.

The strength of the Union has never been ' brotherly love ' just a mutual respect for what each can add to the mix . England provides the financial strength, Scotland provides a military and political elite through its often superior education system.

Well, I don't know about that. Too much of a wishy washy statement for me, but I guess it could be true.

However, in the 18th century Scotland had between 1/4 and 1/5th of England's population, an education system that made England look like a 2nd world country by comparison, and a large expendable (i.e. not economically productive enough to compete with military value) source of highly militaristic manpower; today Scotland has none of these things, and less than a 10th of England's population, maybe only a 20th in 50 years time. Its oil will run out, and its highly educated population will be drawn to England whether its in the Union or not. With the EU in place, England could easily lose Scotland and be not the slightest the worse, and could finally be comfortable expressing its very ancient identity without being accused of things.

The Scots on the other hand could organize their own economy more efficiently, use their resources for themselves, execute effective immigration policies and gain a modicum of international respect.

Having said that, they're all human beings and no-one knows the future, so maybe being part of the same state is good. :goodjob: I do think though that if the "Union" survives, these identities would be better off going. Whether you want them to be compatible or not, in an international community which increasingly defines people in terms of the arbitrary lines of a sovereign state, the concepts of Scottishness, Welshness and Irishness (though not so much English, being the core) contradict Britishness and UKness, since they are perceived as national identities. Just my opinion since you pushed the topic at me... and btw its way off-topic. :blush:

That is unfortunately a prop-up. Support for independence far outways support for the SNP
It's actually the other way around. At the election this year, 33% of people voted for the SNP, but half of them don't want independence. In fact, support for independence has remained constant around 20-25% over the past 30 years.
So why is the SNP more popular than independence? Because the SNP is no longer a single-issue party. It's a two-issue party: independence and Iraq.

It's actually the other way around. At the election this year, 33% of people voted for the SNP, but half of them don't want independence. In fact, support for independence has remained constant around 20-25% over the past 30 years.

No no no .... most people who want independence don't vote for the SNP, precisely for the point you touched upon, elections always being multi-issue. BTW, you only get a figure as low as 20-25% if you fiddle the figures with a third option for more sovereignty. If you take that out, polls always show a 1/2 and 1/2 split, most often with the slightly larger half supporting independence. In fact, I don't remember a 2 option poll ever supporting the Union in the last decade or so.

Fiddling figures is fine if you're having a political debate (and its probably the result of watching such debates that's got you those impressions), but if you wanna actually understand what's going on, it's a bad idea. After all, you're only kidding yourself, as eventually there'll come a point when more sovereignty can't be given. Also, as they say, never underestimate your enemy (by the sounds of it, the Independence movement is an enemy for you).

No no no .... most people who want independence don't vote for the SNP, precisely for the point you touched upon, elections always being multi-issue. BTW, you only get a figure as low as 20-25% if you fiddle the figures with a third option for more sovereignty.
There was a poll for Newsnight earlier this year, to mark the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union being passed, which gave support for independence, regardless of other factors, being at 32%, but this is in an election year, and an election year in which the SNP became the largest party for the first time. Support for devolution is around 70% and support for a referendum on independence is about the same (I'm the most vociferous supporter of the Union you're ever likely to find, but even I support a referendum), but support for independence has historically been and still is low, far lower than the SNP would like to have people believe.

There was a poll for Newsnight earlier this year, to mark the 300th anniversary of the Act of Union being passed, which gave support for independence, regardless of other factors, being at 32%, but this is in an election year, and an election year in which the SNP became the largest party for the first time. Support for devolution is around 70% and support for a referendum on independence is about the same (I'm the most vociferous supporter of the Union you're ever likely to find, but even I support a referendum), but support for independence has historically been and still is low, far lower than the SNP would like to have people believe.

That poll had 32% versus 56 %, but that was a very unusual poll result. It was also phrased in a way that no poll analyst would describe as neutral. "Do you support the breakup of Britain" would be the question a Unionist would ask, because it puts a negative weight; but a real referendum would likely be along the lines of "Do you support the establishment of Scotland as an independent state?", the way its usually framed in neutral polls, e.g. November 2006, ICM poll for the Sunday Telegraph put 52 % believing "Scotland should become an independent country."

I personally think most Scots probably do support independence, certainly in principal, but if there was a referendum now the Nationalists would probably lose because of the superior resources of those opposing the split. However, the "Unionist parties" are less confident than me (believe me, the senior figures do not actually believe support for independence as small as support for the SNP), hence opposition to the referendum. Independence can be achieved by them though if the political establishment position I mentioned above is undermined (the thing that prevents that referendum) and the Nationalists choose the right time. The Unionists are living in cloud ****oo land if they think Scots are vociferously pro-Union (which none of them, the senior ones at least, actually think); all the Nationalists have to do is be clever. The worst thing Unionists can do is kid themselves. And that is advice to you. ;)

"Do you support the breakup of Britain" would be the question a Unionist would ask
Since you seem so determined to example the veracity and bias of these polls, the question was actually "would you like to see the union continue as it is or would you prefer to see it come to an end?" and was conducted as a blind test to ensure neutrality, something which is not the case for most other polls. 56% of respondents said they'd prefer to see the Union continue as it currently is, with 32% of respondents saying they'd prefer it to end and for Scotland to gain independence, irrespective of other considerations. There was a poll for the Sunday Times, I believe, just before the election that returned support for independence in the 20s.
"Do you support the establishment of Scotland as an independent state?" is most certainly not a neutral question, even if it is the most asked, because independence is regarded as a positive trait, because it glosses over the downside of having to leave the United Kingdom and because questions including positive affirmations like this typically result in greater positive results returned. Furthermore, the great possibility of a false positive, with a large number of Scots claiming to want independence but not actually advocating it, means that these polls, particularly those those that are less comprehensive in examining people's true attitude to Union, will invariably return a greater proportion in favour of independence than is actually the case. Even so, polls that return a majority of Scottish people in favour of independence are actually few and far between, and I've heard many analysts suggest that the support base for Scottish independence hasn't changed much in recent years even if polls do return a slightly higher figure than they did before.
Were there a referendum next week, it would still be soundly defeated.

Since you seem so determined to example the veracity and bias of these polls, the question was actually "would you like to see the union continue as it is or would you prefer to see it come to an end?" and was conducted as a blind test to ensure neutrality, something which is not the case for most other polls. 56% of respondents said they'd prefer to see the Union continue as it currently is, with 32% of respondents saying they'd prefer it to end and for Scotland to gain independence, irrespective of other considerations. There was a poll for the Sunday Times, I believe, just before the election that returned support for independence in the 20s.
"Do you support the establishment of Scotland as an independent state?" is most certainly not a neutral question, even if it is the most asked, because independence is regarded as a positive trait, because it glosses over the downside of having to leave the United Kingdom and because questions including positive affirmations like this typically result in greater positive results returned. Furthermore, the great possibility of a false positive, with a large number of Scots claiming to want independence but not actually advocating it, means that these polls, particularly those those that are less comprehensive in examining people's true attitude to Union, will invariably return a greater proportion in favour of independence than is actually the case. Even so, polls that return a majority of Scottish people in favour of independence are actually few and far between, and I've heard many analysts suggest that the support base for Scottish independence hasn't changed much in recent years even if polls do return a slightly higher figure than they did before.
Were there a referendum next week, it would still be soundly defeated.

This is a case where I see you are so blindly biased that it is not worth taking this any further; e.g. "neutral" for you is ground that any reasonable person would consider extremely biased. For an example of a neutral, if convoluted referendum question, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Quebec_referendum#Referendum_question

Presumably you thought the Devolution question in 97 was biased for not having a large series of clauses emphasizing the disastrous consequences of devolution? Maybe I'm being harsh and am out of touch with how language is used in Scottish politics, but independence to me seems to be a clear neutral term (as opposed to Separation - neg., or Freedom - pos.).

Read what I wrote again. I did misread the question in that poll for another one, but it was still phrased negatively. (see here) Hiding from reality will only give short term comfort btw... it won't change anything. ;) Maybe you're assessment is correct, but I don't think so. I'll try and find you a compilation of polls in some literature though if I get the time next time I go to the library. In the meantime, here's a list of the performance of the (I think) neutral "do you support independence" question asked many times over several years with no third option:
http://www.independence1st.com/content/polls.shtml
You'll see that it's not quite as you would like it. ;)

Let me repeat, picking three way polls and giving one result is fiddling figures and is almost useless for measuring actual relative support or (esp.) opposition to independence.

But I'd suggest that of more long-term importance than independence polls is the horrifically few Scots who feel British more than Scottish in even the most optimistic (for you) polls (almost always in the 10s or 20% s). Ultimately, that's the kind of underlying sentiment that determines this kind of thing. You will need to change that to secure the UK's long-term future.

Calgacus ....... If you claim to be located in Albania, in the absence of other information I must assume you are Albanian and your part of the world is therefore the Balkans.

Presumably you thought the Devolution question in 97 was biased for not having a large series of clauses emphasizing the disastrous consequences of devolution?
To achieve Scottish independence, Scotland must leave the United Kingdom. This opportunity cost, quite irrespective of whatever disadvantages independence itself brings (and so your analogy is not correct), is overlooked in the question. Simply asking "should Scotland be independent?" is a one-sided question, whereas a neutral question would involve multiple choices and blind testing, which is what took place in the BBC Newsnight poll mentioned above.
Polls on the issue of independence, including those on the webpage you linked (cherry-picked by a pro-independence organisation. Who's biased now?), vary quite dramatically in the proportion in support of independence, with some suggesting support is twice as great as in others. Either people's opinions are changing at a fantastically fast and unpredictable rate or the methodology used in some polls is flawed, and I've given a number of reasons why I do, and other people should, believe that the methodology most commonly used, and in particular used in various polls that return high levels of support for Scottish independence, are the ones most badly flawed. I have been utterly reasonable, so I don't appreciate you accusing me of being biased for what can only be interpreted as merely disagreeing with you.
If that is your attitude, I don't think anyone's going to want to discuss such a serious issue, even one less off-topic than this, with you.

[on the first use of the term Great Britain]Nah, you're confusing this with James VI's promotion of the concept.
Come on, I'm not going to accept that without a reliable reference. Where's your evidence? I can only assume you are pretending that Great Britain is the same term as Britannia. Obviously, one is derived from the other, but they are by definition not the same term. Assuming this is what you were trying to say, Britannia was not simply the Roman term for England. It is derived from a term which referred to the entire British Isles. The Romans used it especially to refer to the island which is now composed of England, Scotland and Wales. When they colonized the island of Britannia, they naturally called their new province Britannia (which is why I assume you feel free to pretend that it only refers to England). But they also continued to use the term Britannia to refer to the island as well.

Doesn't matter; I'm talking about the names of the countries. You think England wasn't diverse either? Ever heard of the British or Norman French languages?
The history of a country is more significant than its name. The British language was very quickly replaced by Old English after the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons. It's not at all comparable to Scots. As for Norman French, that was the language of a small minority which fused to form the new language of Middle English, which completely replaced both Old English and Norman French. Again, it's not comparable with the co-existent continuous threads of Scotland's linguistic history.

"Scots language" was a creation of 18th century Teutonist supremacists and Lowland nationalists. The language you call "Scots" was virtually always called English, and until the 16th century "Scots" was just the Scottish English word for Gaelic. I think that tells its own story.
Whoever coined the term, Scots seems to be the most widely-used term today. In fact I've never heard anyone use a different term before now. Since I live today and not in the 16th century, I'll use today's term. The fact that some groups wanted to put a particular spin on the Scots language for one reason or another doesn't alter the fact that it has been a major part of Scottish history for a very long time. To call it English would certainly be confusing because it has a similar relation to English as the Scandinavian languages do to each other. It is more than simply a 'dialect' of English. It shares an ancestor with modern English, rather than being a derivation of it.

Well, surely, if the Act of Union is a "legal fiction", so was the formation of England. What you really mean is that Wessex has been in existence since the early middle ages. "England", as it is called, is simply a term made up by Northerners so that the don't have to admit that they were annexed by Wessex. No other explanation can possibly be true.
Haha, very true.

This to me is just nationalistic delusion. It was an annexation - annexation means exactly what Union meant in the early 18th century - joining to a larger more important Kingdom. You were conquered.
Err, that is certainly not the definition of the word 'conquered'!! Conquest requires that something be taken by force of arms. Much as you want to believe it for some reason, Scotland was not conquered.

The Scots acted like any conquered population - those who cooperated and took advantage of their new opportunities flourished (e.g. merchants, Campbells, etc) those who didn't were crushed (like Jacobite clansmen, nationalists, malt tax evaders, etc).
Actually every population with an authoritarian government acts like that. This is what happened to the English of the period too.

The idea of some lovely joining together where the English agreed to sacrifice their old identity and state for brotherly love would make any non-Scottish historian choke with laughter.
Yeah, cos that's what anybody on this forum has said... talk about creating a straw man :rolleyes:

Nonsense. If it was like that, then why did no-one notice? Why did people at the time (not just Jacobites) want to "restore" Scotland? Why did Burns write his little "Parcel o' Rogues" song? Why did/do the Scots regard it as such a "triumph" to "keep" their own law, church and education system?
Because Scotland is much smaller than English, so even with disproportionate influence, power over Scotland would mostly be held by non-Scots. That's one of the reasons that so many people are anti-EU, and why there is a UK Independence Party. Even though the UK has influence in proportion to its size (well, if you ignore things like Luxembourg's ridiculously inflated votes) its still just a minority within Europe, and so the more power that goes to the European Union, the more the UK is controlled by non-British. Of course in the British Union, it is not a community of similarly sized nations, which is why the EU tends to be more palatable to Scottish nationalists than the UK, even though it still means more power going to non-Scots. So Scottish discontent with the union with England is perfectly understandable, but it is not evidence that that union was a conquest, or made Scotland worse off, or was illegitimate or was a legal fiction.

The Union was the triumph of one of the central goals of English "foreign policy" since the reign of Henry II, the acquisition of Scotland.
Yes, that is why the first attempt at full union, with a single kingdom of 'Great Britain', proposed by a Scot, was stopped in its tracks by the English House of Commons :rolleyes:.

Caljacus, you accuse everyone who disagrees with you of being delusional and having a rose-tined vision. One could just as easily accuse you of having a thoroughly tinted vision, focussed on portraying the union as negatively as possible from a Scottish perspectives and on portraying unionist Scots (or Scots who simply have a more nuanced view of the event and consequences of the union!) as self-deluded dupes, in order to further reinforce and propagate your own views. Nobody made any claims of a glorious 'brotherly' union. Everybody is perfectly aware of the various conflicting perspectives and dissent in history. To me the biggest delusion here is your bizarre insistence that union means conquest. I can only assume you believe that the dictionary is an English invention used to legitimize conquest of Scotland.

On the calgacus being Albanian question: 'Albania', as well as being a country in Eastern Europe, is also an old name for Scotland. He doesn't seem to want to clear that up himself so I thought I'd do it for him.

I'm also relatively done with this topic. Discussing interesting topics such as this with people who're able to hold polite discourse in a non-aggressive manner leaving their egos at home is one thing, discussing with our omnipotent resident expert calgacus is another.

Regards being conquered, the closest we've come to that was the brief period when Edward I (Longshanks) had coerced recognition as Lord Paramount of Scotland and proceeded to treat Scotland as his feudal vassal state.

Agree with the above statement.

I am also slightly perplexed by calgacus's adamant argument regarding the AoU 1707 being fiction and the hostility towards anything pro-Nationalist / national identity..

England was determined to push through union with Scotland, to make sure that the Jacobites and possibly the French as well could not establish themselves there.

In contrast to the abortive negotiations for union of 1702-3, this time the English had gone out of their way to accommodate Scottish demands, particularly over access to English trade. The fact that English ministers were at last prepared to compromise over trade showed how anxious they were about wartime security and the succession to the throne. The result was that both sides had obtained what they most needed. Next the Scottish Parliament had to agree to the AoU. This turned out to be arduous and was accomplished against a background of protest.

I think it is hard to understand the discontent here about the Union unless you actually reside in this country and you can see at first hand the lack of parity.

Regardless of how you think we came as one 'Nation' or its legal status, we are a democracy with the ability to declare ourselves independent again, reversing the AoU '07 if it was the will of the people. There is nothing Westminster could do if there was a referendum on the subject and it came back a resounding 'yes' to independence.

Lumpthing .... I knew Alba was/is the Gaelic word for Scotland , I didn't realise you could extend it to Albania though. I guessed Calgacus was from somewhere on these isles and thought as you that he would clear the matter up himself.

alba (an t-alba) was the celtic name for the british isles. became the name for the pictish/scottish kingdom under kenneth I. after that also known as albania/albany by some. it's also the origin of albion.
re GB.
calgacus said:
but most English regarded it either as 1) an alternative name for England (which always should have included Scotland anyways they thought) or 2) a purely nominal gesture to help the Scots swallow conquest less bitterly
i'm sure i've already said this; many english hated this name (and the union- there were riots there too), and there were atttempts to have the name banned from official documents. this does not sound like any alternative for england, or a sop to the scots.

i also can't shake the feeling there's a lot of 'fishing' going on here...

Because of "Braveheart" I think the Scots should be a civ. :rotfl:

The tragic thing is that some believe "Braveheart" is also the sole reasion many Scots think Scotland should be a country :lol:

Who can forget that rousing speech in Braveheart:

French Lady-in-Waiting: Englishmen don't know what a tongue is for!
French Princess: Gasp! What are you saying?

Oh, sorry, hold on, I meant the other one with "take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom" and all that.

Top Bottom