The state of Industrial Zones and Great Engineers.

Or you can just faith buy knights and skip this altogether. I agree that the IZ is largely useless now with all of the new options at your disposal for getting instant production in R&F.

I take this option more often than not. Then again, T2 government building (Intelligence Agency) is often underappreciated. If I can just devote a few cities to knight/cav/tank production, then I don’t need the Grand Master’s Chapel as much and can build the Intel Agency.

But an IZ does nothing to really help with trade or amenities either without specific CS's. Hubs and ECs do.

I’m not sure how I seem to have morphed into the IZ advocate. I generally build 2 encampments for my empire (no matter how large it gets, even 60+ cities). In these 2 cities, I find it advantageous to marry an Industrial Zone to augment production. I suppose it is a half decent idea to use for wonders as well. My original post was trying to convey that I could often not expand due to amenity constraints and found it a decent enough idea to devote present resources toward augmenting future production in district buildings not yet constructed (armories+military academies) for units not yet available (ex: knights).

Well, that's why you build chariots. You're basically building knights when they get upgraded.
In most games against the AI, I simply don’t need the units and prefer to wait for the quality. In what multiplayer I have engaged in the strategy also worked, although I will certainly concede that having a few extra chariots about on a “just in case” contingency for multiplayer sounds like a VERY good idea as opposed to building an IZ w/ workshop. Multiplayer tends to be more about now, now, now build/upgrade/attack/defend, and go, go, go online speed though.

When evaluating the adjacency bonus from mines for IZ, don't forget to count all the builder charges you need to chop forests and set up all those mines, increasing the costs of future builders ...

I’m not sure how I seem to have morphed into the IZ advocate.

Didn't say you were. I mean I get you are making izs as fillers but it's just hard for me to not think about why I wouldn't get a hub or harbor which would also give production, if a little less.

I mean I sometimes build izs for the the sake of completeness but it only takes a few games of cycling through all those crappy great people for me to wonder why I didn't build a hub or encampment or maybe even just projects.

It may not be optimal gameplay, but I love my IZs. Of course, I did mod the game to reduce district cost scaling and reduce building costs, particularly in later eras, so that helps. And I modded the workshop to give regional effect same as the Factory and PP, so yeah, I guess that's another factor. But I do find, given those changes, that it really helps with production, and then I'm a wonder whore, so anything that will help me grab those sweet great engineers that will give me more wonders ...

it does become weird that mines now become the only tile improvement that only gets help by buildings, and not just through technology.
Quite true, but I think that would be very fitting(again, just opinion)- after all, in ANY non-resource tile, what improvement would you place there if there were no placement restrictions? I think most would answer mines. This change would effectively nerf mines but with the player option to bypass the nerf at a cost.

IZ's really should give production based on population. I would just get rid of adjacencies and have a multiplier of .75/1/1.25/1.5 for IZ/workshop/factory/power plant.

Before reading this thread I thought I was doing something wrong because IZ were not really helping me much. I'm not that good a picturing where to put a city to make a good IZ/

Well, I don’t want to be defending IZs either. But I do think they’ve somehow have gone from being horrifically overrated, to maybe just a little underrated.

Overall, I try to think of them as being about the level of aqueducts. Situationally really useful, but not something for every every city or every game.

What use is an IZ?

- IZ has really three uses. First, it’s a way to “save up” production - ie you build it when you’re not busy and then it gives back production when you are. (I got that idea from a CivTrader video - such a smart guy.)

- Second, two plus workshops gives you a eureka. That’s reason enough, and the additional production you then get is just a bonus.

- Third, an IZ is a way to concentrate production in a city - but not the way you’re thinking. See, the problem with production is that it’s local - it can only be spent in the city where you earnt the production. So if you have 5 cities with +3 hammer mines, you can’t pool that into on city with 15 hammers.

- But you can convert production into other yields that a non local - trade routes and traders, builder chargers, science and culture, and faith and gold. You do this buy building districts units and projects. These yields can then be converted back to production but somewhere else in your empire, letting you now pool production. So, i’m our example, 4 of our cities could build markets and traders, you locate them in the fifth city, and now city five gets production from its mine and from four internal trade routes.

- What’s this got to do with IZs? Well, once you build the IZ, you can buy any buildings with gold. Given the IZ buildings give you hammers, this means other cities can turn their production into gold, which you can then turn into more hammers in you IZ city by using the gold to buy IZ buildings. What’s more, with Liang, you can even now buy the original IZ.

- That’s why I don’t like the whole “it takes 80 turns to pay of the IZ investment”. It’s wrong because you IZ city doesn’t actually need to spend hammers on IZ buildings - it should just keep building whatever it’s building, and other cities should buy it the IZ buildings it needs.

- Remember too that some GEs let you build another district and or grant amenities. So, while not the best Great Persons, they can help with boosting core cities and or tall play / peaceful play (whatever you want to call it).

- Overall, I doubt IZs are optimal - or if they are, it’s only very rarely. But there are viable (but less optimal) strategies that can use one or two, and they certainty can be fun sometimes.

Improving the IZ

- All that said, I do think the IZ and buildings could use some tweaks. Here are my thoughts.

- I don’t think the IZ should be pushed back. The medieval era would be boring without it. And I like the idea of “industry” getting its start in the Medieval era.

- Instead, if you agree Civ is too front loaded, i’d suggest: (1) move the government plaza back to diplomatic service and make the first building a “high court”; (2) make the previous tier 1 government plaza buildings mutually exclusive city centre buildings that can only be built in your capital. They’d still unlock at Political Philosophy, (3) make the IZs tier 3 building - the power plant - it’s own district. It would still give regional production, plus regional amenities, and would provide additional production if you have two coal and or two oil; (4) give the IZ a new tier 3 building - either an automated factory or tech hub. It would provide both hammers and science.

- I hadn’t realised how weak the workshop was until I read this thread, although again it can be bought with gold so not all bad. I’d leave the Workshop as is, but make it add +1 hammer to every trade route originating in this city - that would fit with the IZ concentrating production. I’d make the factory buff this, giving +1 production to both the originating and destination city (perhaps even including other civs).

- If you really want to boost IZ and other districts, you need to stop campus spam. The campus is way too strong. I think you should only be able to build three, with more capacity being unlocked through specific great people (maybe great engineers), your government tier level, and maybe specific buildings (eg some city centre building or maybe universities or research labs).

Next expansion

Final thought. Tier 3 buildings will almost certainly get tweaked if not reworked by the next expansion, given it will focus on the late game. So, I would worry too much...

[BTW, great post / thread @Archon_Wing ]

Last edited:
Mm, buying workshops just shifts the problem elsewhere I'd say. I do believe it's always 1 production for 4 gold, so that doesn't really change the math. Probably less so when you hit Democracy? I mean when you can outright buy GEs for like 2k a pop, suddenly those ~600 gold workshops aren't that attractive. I mean even if you were to run commercial projects (which yield 30% gold instead of 15%), 2 production would grant you 0.6 gold per turn and this is a net loss with the mainetance cost lol (though you'd get more great people) and you can't even overflow abuse with cards either. Suppose you could be suzerain and get it to 6 production and make it a magnificent +0.8 gold per turn.

I mean if you're going to space and need anything to boost your production, buying these things would help though even for space, this kinda pales to the other boosts we have now. I do build workshops to boost industrialization yes, but that's only because you need them for factories, not because they're actually useful.

As for Reyna, well, that is actually true though it is at the very end of her tree and most of her abilities aren't that useful if you're not going culture.

Last edited:
Mm, buying workshops just shifts the problem elsewhere I'd say. I do believe it's always 1 production for 4 gold, so that doesn't really change the math. Probably less so when you hit Democracy? I mean when you can outright buy GEs for like 2k a pop, suddenly those ~600 gold workshops aren't that attractive. I mean even if you were to run commercial projects (which yield 30% gold instead of 15%), 2 production would grant you 0.6 gold per turn and this is a net loss with the mainetance cost lol (though you'd get more great people) and you can't even overflow abuse with cards either. Suppose you could be suzerain and get it to 6 production and make it a magnificent +0.8 gold per turn.

I mean if you're going to space and need anything to boost your production, buying these things would help though even for space, this kinda pales to the other boosts we have now. I do build workshops to boost industrialization yes, but that's only because you need them for factories, not because they're actually useful.

As for Reyna, well, that is actually true though it is at the very end of her tree and most of her abilities aren't that useful if you're not going culture.

Yeah, I don’t really disagree with that. You certainly can use an IZ and then buying buildings to concentrate your production into a single city. But (1) are there better ways to concentrate production in one super city (eg trade routes), (2) is there any real upside concentrating production in one city (particularly as you sort of lose production exchanging hammers from one city into gold and then back again in your super city and you can just chop in spaceports etc, and (3) are there flat out better things to spend gold on anyway, eg universities.

The maths is beyond me afraid. But I suspect the answers are (1) yes or maybe (2) no (3) definitely yes.

So, where I come out is that an IZ or two is not necessarily bad, but almost certainly not optimal.

One [... er... two... ] last thoughts. That whole 1 hammer equals 4 gold seems a little ropey to me. If you have a small city that has only a little production, then that production is actually worthless because the city can’t build anything useful in a reasonable timeframe. But any gold it produces is not worthless, because that gold can be pooled with gold generated in other cities and put to good use.

What really messes everything up is campuses and chopping as they currently work. You’re nearly always building campuses - particularly as every city no matter how small can build at least one district. Once built, you’re nearly always better then running science projects in that city. You then don’t actually need much production in your core cities, because any critical infrastructure can just be chopped in. So, other than for eurekas or very specific efficiencies, you don’t really need IZs, CH, Encampments etc. (slightly different story for theatre square of course).

Last edited:
But (1) are there better ways to concentrate production in one super city (eg trade routes), (2) is there any real upside concentrating production in one city (particularly as you sort of lose production exchanging hammers from one city into gold and then back again in your super city and you can just chop in spaceports etc, and (3) are there flat out better things to spend gold on anyway, eg universities.

Well, I think that's another thing. If you build hubs,harbors, or even encampments, you'll also get production too, and probably a better mix of things too. It's just a thing in strategy games. The best things is always going to be something with a dedicated purpose with some extra flexibility. IZs fall under Master of None, and specializing in them just makes you mediocre at everything.

I've also been advocate of building a factory next to your main spaceport city, but nobody seems to have ever taken it seriously and now that's not even that big of a deal since the expansion.

One last thought. That whole 1 hammer equals 4 gold seems a little ropey to me. If you have a small city that has only a little production, then that production is actually worthless because the city can’t build anything useful in a reasonable timeframe. But any gold it produces is not worthless, because that gold can be pooled with gold generated in other cities and put to good use.

That actually is true. A weak production city pretty much loses its production. Though these kinds of cities are usually not going to have the hills/mines to make a good IZ though. I mean yes, I've tried using the overflow to make factories in bad cities too, but I'm almost sure it could have been like an encampment and things woudn't change much.

As a side note, does anyone want to talk about the engineers? I thought they were pretty weak besides wonder/space ones and I think IZs could remain weak but I would build them if the GPs are nice-- it's sorta why I try to grab Great Merchants if it's easy.

The efficiency of the industrial zone is indeed deplorable. At least, this district was rarely seen in any of our efficiency records on our forum after R&F. The release of the expansion result in strong being much stronger, weak being much weaker. Even Hansa 's days was over because CS bonus now switch to poor workshops.

Well, I think that's another thing. If you build hubs,harbors, or even encampments, you'll also get production too, and probably a better mix of things too. It's just a thing in strategy games. The best things is always going to be something with a dedicated purpose with some extra flexibility. IZs fall under Master of None, and specializing in them just makes you mediocre at everything.

I've also been advocate of building a factory next to your main spaceport city, but nobody seems to have ever taken it seriously and now that's not even that big of a deal since the expansion.

That actually is true. A weak production city pretty much loses its production. Though these kinds of cities are usually not going to have the hills/mines to make a good IZ though. I mean yes, I've tried using the overflow to make factories in bad cities too, but I'm almost sure it could have been like an encampment and things woudn't change much.

As a side note, does anyone want to talk about the engineers? I thought they were pretty weak besides wonder/space ones and I think IZs could remain weak but I would build them if the GPs are nice-- it's sorta why I try to grab Great Merchants if it's easy.

I think we’re patting the same dog here.

Just to be clear on a small point, I’m not suggesting building IZs in your small cities. That’s pointless. The use case is you build an IZ in your big city, and then use gold from small cities to buy IZ buildings (with your big city able to keep focusing on whatever else you want it doing - i.e. your big city doesn't need to stop to build IZ buildings).

Last edited:
A single IZ can be really advantategous and yield +1 production for every city in your empire IF all your trade routes target the same city AND the IZ is in that city. An internal trade route with a full developed trade hub city may provide +5 or +6 Food and Production per turn for every connected city. (The GE-trait to build additional districts beyond population limit and the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus trait help a lot.)

- I hadn’t realised how weak the workshop was until I read this thread, although again it can be bought with gold so not all bad. I’d leave the Workshop as is, but make it add +1 hammer to every trade route originating in this city - that would fit with the IZ concentrating production. I’d make the factory buff this, giving +1 production to both the originating and destination city (perhaps even including other civs).

- If you really want to boost IZ and other districts, you need to stop campus spam. The campus is way too strong. I think you should only be able to build three, with more capacity being unlocked through specific great people (maybe great engineers), your government tier level, and maybe specific buildings (eg some city centre building or maybe universities or research labs).

I think these are both really good ideas.
EDIT: Only thing I would change would be to factor in city count into the campus maximum accounting.

Last edited:
I think these are both really good ideas.
EDIT: Only thing I would change would be to factor in city count into the campus maximum accounting.

I don't like artificial limitations, but one thing I've maintained is that district cost should rise with the cost for each in your empire. So maybe the cost for a district is like 50 * (1 + # in empire) + 25 * (# of other districts in city). Or something like that. So basically your first campus costs 50, the second 100, the third 150, etc... Or maybe you double each time, so the first is 50, the second 100, the third 200, etc... That would effectively force you to even out the districts, since there's going to be a certain point where it just makes more sense to put your first industrial zone for 50 instead of placing your 4th campus for 400 production.

I don't like artificial limitations, but one thing I've maintained is that district cost should rise with the cost for each in your empire. So maybe the cost for a district is like 50 * (1 + # in empire) + 25 * (# of other districts in city). Or something like that. So basically your first campus costs 50, the second 100, the third 150, etc... Or maybe you double each time, so the first is 50, the second 100, the third 200, etc... That would effectively force you to even out the districts, since there's going to be a certain point where it just makes more sense to put your first industrial zone for 50 instead of placing your 4th campus for 400 production.

That's a really good idea as well! I think a combination of the two works even better. Set a threshold based on what acluewithout said earlier, then enact your idea for a tiered cost increase for each campus above the threshold.

Yeah, I don’t really disagree with that. You certainly can use an IZ and then buying buildings to concentrate your production into a single city. But (1) are there better ways to concentrate production in one super city (eg trade routes), (2) is there any real upside concentrating production in one city (particularly as you sort of lose production exchanging hammers from one city into gold and then back again in your super city and you can just chop in spaceports etc, and (3) are there flat out better things to spend gold on anyway, eg universities.

The maths is beyond me afraid.

It wouldn't matter if you had the game-theoretic and mathematical skills of
John Nash(*), you wouldn't have time to test that hypothesis, and certainly none
that are more elaborate.

Your rough approximations are as good as you are likely to get without
specifying the map type, number of opponents, starting positions, whether civs
get bonuses for IZ, when or whether there are CS that will grant envoys for
building IZ, desired victory type, etc etc.

Rough approximations of what might be best in some limited situations like you
and others have done here will definitely help some players make a decision
regarding IZ, and whether they should consider or reject alternatives. Even
more, it will help them to make similar crude estimates for other choices that
arise during their games, not just about districts, but many many others.

* Actually zero now, because he's dead. :)

EDIT:
However, if you prefer something more sophisticated than simple flat bonuses, check this out:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1425931695

-------------------------------
Inspired by this really deep discussion I've just made this really simple mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1420815445
One line code doubles production yields of IZ buildings:
Code:
UPDATE Building_YieldChanges SET YieldChange=YieldChange*2 WHERE BuildingType="BUILDING_WORKSHOP" OR BuildingType="BUILDING_FACTORY" OR BuildingType="BUILDING_ELECTRONICS_FACTORY" OR BuildingType="BUILDING_POWER_PLANT";

Last edited:
If I'm playing a Deity game I'll sometimes build an IZ if it has a +5 adjacency. I usually leave it empty because the workshop is dismal even with the eureka. On the rare occasions that I build one it's because a well placed factory can be worthwhile. I like to pack cities in around the Coliseum when I play Rome, and sometimes the boost from a factory can bring mediocre cities to life in a way that goes beyond how many hammers I spent and how many I get out. That's highly situational though, and I'm not sure it's ever optimal.

Top Bottom