The state of Vassals

Glassmage

The Desert Flame
Maybe it is just me but it is so hard to play with vassals as of 1.4.6

If I have voluntary vassals on, AIs always seem to be able to vassalize other AIs while I have near 0% chance of getting an AI to agree to be a vassal even when they are Afraid.

If I have voluntary vassals off, it is impossible to get the warscore needed to get an AI to agree to capitulate. By that time I already destroyed all their armies and taken most if not all cities except 1 city left... That is not how I imagine having vassals would be after you killed 99% of their nation.

In the current beta taking a vassal by war is super easy. You only need to take a couple cities without taking much losses and you will almost always be able to get them to surrender into vassalage. If you burn down these cities you will certainly be able to do it. I would actually suggest to make it SLIGHTLY harder to take a vassal from war. I would be super careful making any changes because I would rather not go back to the days when you would constantly get DOW from smaller civs, and being forced to wipe them out to end it.

Voluntary vassals occur way more often for me now, mostly due to the AI messaging you and letting you know when they will be willing to do it. I think it's probably in a good state and doesn't need to be changed.

I would also suggest to add a small chance that a vassal will randomly demand freedom. It's currently based on military score, which means it almost never happens.

Top Bottom