The Tragedy of Man

OOC: Settled in place. Those are the options Lliw is giving you, but aren't all the options available.

I too believe that pottery is what we need most right now. We have plenty of food, but if we cannot store it, we might as well have not settled at all. Besides, if we can make containers out of earth, who knows what else we could make? A shrine to the gods, perhaps, or even some sort of record-keeping system?

OOC: another question, are actions sent by PM or added here in plain sight? Also, if we are to tell a story, or create a work of art, how specific do we have to be?

======= Action: Speech =========
I would also like to support the idea of looking into a better way of storing food. We cannot hope to survive if we have our food rotting away, as we'll not be moving around looking for more food. In fact, I believe we have to follow this line of looking into our food and how we can diversify it. We will need to look into this great body of water near us. I have a feeling it will serve us well, if we learn to harvest it and care for it.

I would also like to turn your attention to our lack of knowledge on the land around us, and that we still lack defense. While I may not agree completely with Sutsugua, there is something he said that worries me too... "What if a wayward barbarian horde comes to loot and pillage our encampment? We will be left with nothing." No ammount of storing will do us any good if we can't protect ourselves. So I would like to ask you to consider a new band of warriors, of brothers, who train in the art of fighting. For we will need to be ready for what lies ahead. Perhaps one of the most experienced men would like to take this into their own hands, instead of leaving it in the hands of the younglings?

OOC:

I Just want to apologize to everyone for the rough roll out of the update. I am still new to GMing and still new to these forums and I underestimated how long it would take me to finish it. I have updated the Session 2 post so please be sure to check it again. I hold myself up to the highest standard possible, and in the future I will ensure a more polished update. Thank you, and sorry again.

@MiguelBazil: You can post them in the thread or PM them to me, whichever you wish.

Markus, I think it would be a better idea to send the swiftest men, rather than the strongest, and organize them into a scouting party. That way, if there are savages nearby, we can find out where they are more quickly and prepare ourselves.

ooc: Pottery > Sailing; Scout > Monument; Tradition

OOC: Not to worry, you are doing a fine job ;)

IC:

If I may cast my humble opinion, I also support pottery to then study how to use the land to our advantage (mining). As to what we should produce, I suggest a specialized type of warrior, swift and accustomed for the jungle, capable of blending into the shadows of the trees, one to give us information on the land surrounding us. It is by knowing that battles are won. If we can find the demonic people of our stories before they find us, we will have the upper hand. Who knows, we may even find the mythic sites of old. Emil Solaran speaks wisely. Once we have that unit, once we can assure our security, we can begin by honoring our tradition. As the honorable Sutsugua said, tradition is important, and honoring the knowledge and memory of our forefathers seems deserving of our time and effort. We may at the same time honor our patron Jupiter, who's name this land carries.

(Pottery > Mining ; scout > Monument ; consider adoption of Tradition as first social policy)

IC:

In my opinion the suggestion to research pottery is the best one, however instead of continuing from there into mining, it would be far superior to research sailing in order to make best use of the marine resources available to Iovis Capitolia. Only once this is complete would I suggest proceeding to research mining.

As to what our people should produce, I would agree with the suggestion that it would be best to train a group of scouts, before building a monument to memorialise the ancestors and the founders of the city. Honouring tradition is important, as Sutsugua and others have said.

-

ooc: Pottery > sailing > mining ; Scout > Monument ; Tradition as first social policy.

also kudo's to ReEmmeline for supporting the above position. IIRC the ooc tech-construction-social policy plan was edited in post facto. At the very least I don't believe I saw it there when I responded to Civleaders plan with my alternate proposal.

Indeed, Lucius Crassus spoke well and truly. I also believe that we should learn how to harden the earth and use it to store what can hardly be stored otherwise. After that process is done, our main focus should be learning how to construct vessels to carry our people across the seas and into the lands which we see at the horizon to our south.

I also agree with Lucius Crassus on the subject of what our citizens should do, in that they should organize a group of swift warriors in order to scout the surrounding lands and explore the jungle. After that, we should honour our ancestors and our great chief by building a monument that will stand for eternity. This would also be a testament of our traditions which we choose to follow.

OOC: Pottery>Sailing, Scout>Monument, Tradition

ignore, accidental post.

NPC:Sutsugua

Sutsugua stood and looked around with a half amused look on his face. "It amuses me that you all seek now to follow what you perceive to be the path that I would choose, when a few moons ago I was unreasonable and too preoccupied with tradition. I'll say that I support the construction of a warrior and yes, when the time comes, I support the adoption of tradition.

What really troubles me is that our chief, in all his infinite wisdom of twenty-some-odd-years, has assigned another twenty-some-odd to lead the group of warriors meant to protect us all. Markus Cloelius is the only among you who noticed this detail and had the wit to say anything about it. We need to turn our attention to this and what needs to be done to correct it.

Lucius Crassus gave a wry smile "No one here was for the wholesale forfeiture of tradition Sutsugua, just as keeping to the mos maiorum does not entail rejection of the past in blind pursuit of some vain and empty ideal, so too does it not entail an unbending and stubborn clinging onto of the way things are in the face of the inevitability of change. The way of tradition is changing in continuity with the past, refining what is good that has been passed down to the present, where necessary departing from that which no longer serves the good, and always maintaining harmony with the divine order of things.

At any rate to the point you've raised, you are certainly not unreasonable to suggest that a more experienced leader might be better suited to the task of leading our warriors. Yet at the same time it is precisely qualities of leadership that should be the yardstick by which command is given. A young man with good sense and the right skills can lead much better than an old fool with no sense and the wrong skills, age sadly does not always bring wisdom, although of course the young tend to be more prone to foolishness than the old.

I would therefore suggest that if any of the more experienced men amongst us are willing to challenge Tertius for command, that they make their case for why they should command, and how they would go about it before us. Tertius can then defend his cause before this noble assembly. I am certain that if we hear all candidates out in such a manner it shall become clear to all who the better suited is to lead our warriors and the command can be re-allocated or maintained as the chief has presently decreed accordingly."

Markus Cloelius: Tribsman
The idea of a scout has merit on itself for its speed, and I would support it too in case the tribe so decides.

I believe that while Sutsugua may not see himself in this change of traditions, it doesn't mean that his ability to command a unit is invalid. I agree that if he (or anyone) wishes to contest a unit's command, he should be able to do so. Perhaps we should set some rules as to how such contest should work.

I pledge my support to Tertius, I have spoken with him and he is a fine man. I can see no other candidate among us for who should command the men. Or would anyone like to volunteer?

NPC: Tertius

Tertius stood in anger. "I do not see the need to defend myself. If Lliw has appointed me the leader of the warriors, then I am the leader of the warriors. It is not up to you Sutsugua, or you Lucius, or you Markus, it is up to Lliw, and he has spoken."

NPC: Tertius

Tertius stood in anger. "I do not see the need to defend myself. If Lliw has appointed me the leader of the warriors, then I am the leader of the warriors. It is not up to you Sutsugua, or you Lucius, or you Markus, it is up to Lliw, and he has spoken."

Lucius Crassus frowned in disappointment.

"Such a disgraceful and unseemly outburst. Are you not confident enough in your worthiness to hold the command you have been given by the chief, which no one here has disputed you hold, that you are unwilling to proclaim your virtus and rightness should one come to contest you for it?

My proposition gives you an opportunity should your appointment be disputed to show undisputedly your worthiness and thus establish your undoubted legitimacy as the most suitable choice for commander. In the absence of a contest, which thus far has been the case, it would show Sutsugua's concerns to be mistaken in the eyes of the consensus an thus protect you and the chief from naysayers and gossips, after all they could hardly dispute the chiefs choice when they have been given the chance to challenge it if they thought him mistaken. Ergo, I made my proposition, which Markus has supported, to ensure that in the final decision the chief would proceed forward with certain rightness, and without any cause for disputation, with no one being able to dispute the wisdom and decorum of his actions or say he did not listen to his councillors, or chose mistakenly.

Yet at this proposition which is precisely aimed at helping you and ensuring certain legitimacy going forward, you have instead shown hot-headed brashness, lack of propriety, and unseemly anger not at any argument saying you are unworthy or insult to your abilities, but at the mere suggestion that you might have to prove your worth and that someone might dare challenge you for the role you have been given. Its almost as if you wish to prove Sutsugua correct in his concerns regarding youthful inexperience. If you cannot keep calm at a council meeting, not to mention respect your elders, how can one suppose you will keep calm in a barbarian attack, listen to your men, or act prudently in a difficult situation in the field? You are our best warrior and our most skilled hunter, things no one disputes and attributes to your credit, but skill with weapons is not the only attribute necessary for a leader and it is these other attributes, serenity of mind and the wisdom of propriety, that are most important when leading men.

Take your seat then and show some dignity then Tertius, it would serve you better to understand when people are trying to help you by giving you the opportunity to prove yourself, than to take petty offence at every perceived slight."

-

ooc: presumably referring to me since I implicitly dared those who challenged the chiefs choice to come forward and contest the position. Oh and bringing out the shame and embarrassment card :p

Emil Solaran spoke up nervously. "I fear Sutsugua may be right for the wrong reasons. Tertius's youth is not a problem, but he seems to be more concerned about his own glory than about actually protecting us.

I like Lucius's idea of allowing potential leaders to make a case for themselves. Here's how I think it should be done: Each contender will step forward and briefly-" (he glanced at Lucius) "- state his qualifications for leadership. No arguing, just each making his case in turn. When all have finished speaking, our chief will judge them, and his word must be final. Lliw, I have absolute faith in you. What will you do?"

(ooc: yes, the votes were edited in post-facto. I had forgotten to put them in.)

(Lucius waved his hand dissmisively) It is as I said when I made my proposition Emil, let anyone who wishes to challenge Tertius' right for the position make his case, and Tertius in turn can make his and then they can be judged accordingly before this noble assembly.

It is Tertius who seems to think that I suggested his cause be subject to some sort of tribunal inquest where he needs to defend himself from naysayers. At any rate, given the absence of challengers it may turn out that his indignation will be for nought. If so then I have no doubt he will prove his worth in the tasks appointed to him.

End of Session 2

NPC:Lliw

Lliw sat back and listened as the conversation unfolded before him. More than anything, he was just waiting to hear what everyone had to say. Finally he spoke. "You have all said your piece now I will say mine. Tertius will remain leader of the warriors. As some of you have pointed out, age does not necessarily mean wisdom, and I think he will do a fine job leading the warriors. As for the rest, we will be researching pottery and building a scout. Thank you for coming tonight, and we will reconvene at the next time we must make major decisions for the tribe."

((I hopes it okay that I ignored our lack of writing for RP purposes))Deeming the subject matter to be to sensitive to be dictated, for the first time since the settling of the city Lucius Aurelius sat down to write a letter.

"My chief. The populace seems to be settling into their new roles well. However there has been hints of dissent among the older group. While conducting some business I heard rumors of Sutsugua planning a coup. While it would be unwise to confront him currently I believe that any planned coup would receive significant support. I believe that you can rely on Tercius, Lucius,Emil, and of course myself. I do not know enough about the other prominent men to pass judgment, however I doubt the coup will gain any real traction. I will also take this opportunity to pledge my loyalty to the people and you.

Top Bottom