The Tribal Elders of Delphi

Welcome, Delphians & council members, to this latest update:

Turn 5 - advice of council followed. Production shuffled in capital, henceforth called Delphi Nova, so as to produce Scout 1 turn sooner. Warrior continues North-West and discovers borders of city state and coastline. Tradition adopted (+3 culture in capital).

Turn 6 - OUTSIDERS FOUND- a warrior enters the proximity of Delphi Nova. It belongs to a man calling himself Ramkhamhaeng of the Siamese.

Scout produced and heads North. Work on Monument (8 turns) started.

Our warrior discovers the Cultured city-state of Milan, who give us 30 gold as a gift.

Spoiler :

Turn 8- Warrior continues southwest and sees ancient ruins ahead of him. Sees another city state border to the South of Milan.

Scout heads Northwest.

Turn 9 - Mining completes. Work is started on Pottery.

Warrior continues towards ruin- secrets of technology found (MASONRY discovered)!

Spoiler :

Turn 10 - Scout discovers location of Sukhothai to the Northwest of Delphi Nova.

Warrior finds the Mercantile Zurich, and they give us 30 gold.
Spoiler :

The current state of affairs:

Delphi Nova producing Monument, will be complete in 4 turns.
Spoiler :

The eastern portion of the map
Spoiler :

And the western side
Spoiler :

I'll stop clogging now ;)

Caesar, Mr. Grieves and cpm - welcome to the council :) please find updated first post in thread with current state of affairs in Delphi.

This meeting, I'm looking for your wise counsel as ever, in particular:

(1) Choice of next policy (in 3 turns)
(2) Choice of production for Delphi Nova after monument (4 turns)
(3) Next tech after pottery (in 5 turns)

In addition, how do you find the location of Siam? Should this be something we are looking to address?

Global 'policy' of my rule is currently heading towards an early religion, with second city over to the west near Mt. Kailash, most likely on the coast as we are almost certainly on an island-y map. Happy with this? Suggestions/preferences.

As ever gents, thanks and look forward to hearing from you. Weight will now be put on the recommendations of my advisors in particular areas, but of course please do suggest things in other 'domains' :)

As the Engineer, I suggest we complete production of the Monument and then train up some Workers to improve our capital.

First thoughts:

Oh noes, not Ramkhamhaeng. He's possibly tied with Wu for most obnoxious AI in the game, in my book. Atilla is nicer to hang out with. He absolutely needs to be cut down to size before he spawns his elephants from hell.

Wow! That's a lucky Tech Ruin if I ever saw one. That saves us so much time, it's not even funny.

Better yet.. Rammy isn't quite hugging Mt. Kailash, which means we might just be able to keep its eternal wisdom all to ourselves.. Unless Moson Kahni is right next to it, one tile into the FOW of course.

As the wise and mysterious Kyros, I suggest we research Calendar, and then we should make our way toward the siege tower (mathematics) by going AH->Archery->The wheel->Mathematics

The wheel will allow production of a water wheel

I agree founding a religion is of the utmost importance considering the current circumstances. I see two possible options: either we construct a shrine after the monument, or we train a settler and make a run for Mt. Kailash. I find the shrine a safer option, considering the stagnation in population growth will be considerable this early.

Our lack of a worker would be mitigated by adopting Liberty, and Citizenship soon after. I believe we will have a worker around the same time going that route, compared to if we should construct one.

I agree thoroughly with researching Writing and then Calendar. Exploring these areas of research, I believe, will greatly increase the future potential of our fledgling nation's culture.

If we only build a shrine, we have NO CHANCE of getting a religion. I have trouble getting one when when I get NWs. We should at least try to get Mt. Kailash. In fact, I recommend NOT getting a shrine if we don't get Mt. Kailash.

Obviously we're not getting a religion with +1 faith alone, but adopting Stone Circles or Monument of the gods for a pantheon should be no problem by means of a shrine alone. Having said that, training a settler might indeed be the best course of action. We did get a pop ruin, and +6 faith does outweigh the lost growth.

How many turns would it take to build a setter?

EDIT: Okay, I did some math, and I found out that it will take us 18 turns to make a settler. Should we REALLY go for Mt. Kailash?
We also can't get a free liberty settler, as we have already adopted tradition.

Training a settler prevents a city from starving. So if we work two hills and the stone, we would be generating 9 hammers per turn, which comes down to about 10 turns for the settler.

On practically any map, I would opt for constructing the shrine next and keep growing, but I think Mt. Kailash changes everything. In this case, settling near Mt. Kailash would yield us +6 faith and +2 happiness for a cost of about 100 hammers, whereas a shrine would yield +1 faith for 40 hammers.

So from the advice of my council:

(1) in three turns, we shall adopt liberty. this is in order to a)increase culture empire wide, and b)gain citizenship and a free worker the next time we can take a policy.

(2) while agreeing that we need a worker in Delphi, I think this can be achieved with cultural policies around a similar time to production. therefore production in Delphi will head towards a settler, with the aim of ensuring Mt Kailash is ours and religion is a possibility. this will be rushed as much as possible with tile management.

(3) completely agree here, calendar and then head towards Maths (via AH first, archery second) and our UU the Seige Tower, with the idea of an early-ish war with Siam.

Exploration- warrior will map out western areas looking for ideal city site. I am thinking one tile south and west of Mt Kailash as the site for our second city at present, please feel free to suggest alternatives (I did consider along the coast near the fish, cotton, sheep, mountain; but I think if we seriously want a religion we need the NW asap).

Scout will map out the lands of the Siamese. If peninsula as I'm suspecting, will then head southeast and reveal FOW near capital.

--
Will post update later this evening most likely. Thanks again for your input people, please continue to get involved, and first General Election vote will be very soon. :)

Turn 11 & 12 - as planned, production and research continued. Exploration was only significant for the discovery of another ancient ruin guarded by a villainous barbarian encampment.

Spoiler :

Turn 13 - scout continues exploration around Siam capital.

Liberty adopted. Producing 5 culture a turn, so will have next policy in 12 turns.

Siam desires embassy. Offers 1 GPT for 30 turns. Deal accepted.

Spoiler :

Turn 14 - monument completes in Delphi Nova. Work started on a Settler. Due to reshuffling and city growth, will be complete in 12 turns.

Scout continues exploration and discovers Barbarian camp northwest of Siam.

Warrior explores Ruins next to camp, and finds spears- advanced weapons. He is now a SPEARMAN.

Spoiler :

Turn 15 - notable for a few reasons.

First combat, a minor victory by the SPEARMAN vs barbarians. All hail the mighty Delphian army.

CIVILIZATION DISCOVERED - Mr. Grieves will be delighted that our new neighbour is none other than WU ZETIAN of the Chinese. A unit moves into proximity with our scout.

Spoiler :

Current tech situation - next research AH>ARCH>WHEEL>MATHS

Spoiler :

What are you guys talking about? Wu's really super. All she generally wants to do is get closer and closer, until you suffocate and die.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-26.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-26.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 244
As you know, Sire, the Gods have destined Delphi Nova to be the world's very center of culture and piety.

However, the recent discovery of Others in the North concerns me greatly. Their intentions have not proven to be malicious yet, but I fear They may one day pose a grave threat to us.

I understand the Council's desire to establish our primacy over these lands, as soon as possible through means of warfare. Yet, I feel our military efforts should remain of a defensive nature for the time being.

We must not undermine the importance of Writing, as it will benefit our civilization to a greater extent than researching a Calendar will. Our farmers have not found a way to improve the cotton fields around the city, in any other way than gold output. Neither will we need to erect a circle of monoliths to contact the Divine. The spirits have suggested they may reside on top of Mt. Kailash.

I suggest settling an outpost on top of the hill, west of Kailash. In addition to having access to two fields of wheat and salt, it will also be more defendable and have higher production.

Top Bottom