The VEM Question Thread

I've posted this in the general strategy forum with no sensible replies, so it doesn't apply exclusively to VEM....

The pulsing damage bars seen before launching an attack indicate the range of likely attack outcomes. I think I have noticed that the resulting damage closely correlates with the state of the bars at the exact moment when the attack is launched.

Is this the case?

Has anyone else seen this effect?

Or is there a real random number generator in the code somewhere to calculate the resulting damage?

(I've been meaning to playtest it and collect some statistics to see if it is true).

I'd suspect that's just patternicity. It's highly unlikely there's a correlation between the graphic and gameplay, since this is a strategy game and not a reflex-based game like shooters.

I suspect I am seeing a pattern that doesn't exist as well, but thought if someone had seen the line of code somewhere in the guts of the game for a random number generator for damage then that would settle the argument.

In the latest VEMGotm #2 I noticed a Barb camp in the water. I was able to kill the ships around it and then move my Trireme into the location which gave me the 25 gold reward.

Was this something added to the Gotm, or is it something that only that map type allows, or is it just something added on that I have never seen before, or perhaps even a bug?

It was just west of the starting position west of the snowy peninsula.

If this is meant to be a feature, do they just spawn boats or do they also spawn land units?

I noticed that too (and forgot to mention it in the spoiler thread writeup I did) - I think Thal manually placed some barb camps and accidentally placed the camp in the water.

General question on happiness buildings. I know the happiness effect is limited to the number of people in a city. Are the limits additive for sequential buildings?

So will a city with four people gain four happy from a Colosseum, but gain no further happy from a theatre?

General question on happiness buildings. I know the happiness effect is limited to the number of people in a city. Are the limits additive for sequential buildings?

So will a city with four people gain four happy from a Colosseum, but gain no further happy from a theatre?

Yes (though colosseums only give 3 happiness). Happiness on buildings from policies are not though, so in this instance if you had a 3 pop city with a colosseum with the Honor finisher you'd make 4 happiness.

Thanks for that. I suspected it was that way but wanted to be 100% sure before a possible Persia GOTM.

Was just wondering if the Barbarian spawn frequency/aggression had increased, as i have noticed in quite early game (like by approx turn 60ish, or at least by 100) I will be swarmed by a large number of barbarians. For example in one turn I had 8 barbarian units within 3 tiles of my capital, who had unfortunately slaughtered my two spearmen.

They don't seem more aggressive to me. But what I have noticed is that you can't ignore them. They are a minor problem that nevertheless has to be addressed. In that way it reminds me of the recent AI focus on pillaging (which is of course much more devastating).

They seem super charged to me.

In contrast they used to be peanut butter like and just stuck where ever they spawed.

So I like the new aggression, like the fact that they will leave their camps again, just need to change my tactics all over again.

I have found that this happens more often on the Perfect World map script than others, which is odd. May call for me revising my early build order and to keep that first warrior close.

Barbarians are stronger, spawn in greater numbers, camps respawn faster and more densely. However, barbarians are also delayed from entering civilized territory for 10-50 turns (depending on difficulty) to give us a chance to defend against them. In vanilla barbarians are weaker but can enter territory right away.

That's how it's playing. I don't really notice their being stronger, because scouts are stronger, too, so they seem balanced. The status quo makes barbarians a fact of life, but there's no reason for the to screw up a reasonably planned expansion.

Top Bottom