The wonderful world of online CYOAs.

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
You'd never guess that the CYOA (Choose-Your-Own-Adventure) could be so addictive - the whole concept is literally just an image with a bunch of options on it! But I've spent entire weeks, literal hours every day, just looking at them and scrounging Reddit and Pinterest for more. Try them out yourself and you... will... see.

Spoiler Domain Master :

Spoiler Lycan's Rise :

Spoiler Comfy Spaceship :

Spoiler Overmind :

Spoiler Exiles :

Last edited:
These are certainly unlike the original Edward Packard paperbacks aimed at kids.

@Mouthwash, I had a fun game trying to remember which Magic: The Gathering card the art came from in the Domain Mastery image.

My favorite so far is probably Lycan's Rise. It's so versatile - I'd pick the infection goal, no drawbacks, and then werefish, wild man level, permanent transformation, and disease and airborne transmission. For perks, I'd go with A Strange Gift, Regeneration, Wild Kinship/Dire Beasts, and Fuzzy. Alpha perks would be Dominant/Domination, Way of Hand, Bee's Gift, Ageless, Shaman (water), Deepsense, Silver Stag/Radiant Majesty, Elemental, Iron Fur.

There, now I'm the immortal god-king of a new race of mermen (with shark-riding knights at my command!). The infection is widely contagious and sailors learn to avoid the water in case they get infected from nearby followers of mine (and since ships have such easy-to-spot profiles from underneath, that's hard to avoid unless they pay me tribute - or maybe I'd just ban them from sailing and conduct the trade myself, and if you know of real-world examples like the Columbian Exchange you can imagine just what absurd levels of wealth and power that could give me).

So even though neither I nor my subjects could set foot on on land, I'd control global trade, use my vast treasure to buy human prisoners/slaves to turn into mermen, fund whatever faction or claimant I pleased, give material support to anyone with coastal access, have my mermen transported over land (in, I don't know, primitive fishtanks?) to colonize unreachable seas and lakes, use my monopoly of trade goods to destroy the economies of uncooperative nations like the British did, and nobody can touch me - I'd rule the oceans directly and the land by proxy. Of course, not everyone would be happy with this state of affairs, so maybe there would be 'pro-land' factions looking to remove merman influence, or some petty human heroes on a quest to assassinate their nautical emperor.

I could also have my human clients dump sand and earth into the sea to slowly expand the shoreline, maybe with the eventual goal of submerging all land beneath the waves... and they realize what's happening, but the consequences are thousands of years in the future and they also know that if they don't do it, I'll just support someone more willing and they'll lose their heads. Maybe that's what triggers the heroes to try and stop me! Intriguing plot hook, maybe? Going to start on that novel now...

Last edited:
I was intrigued by Comfy Spaceship, so I Googled it and found the other piece.

Comfy Spaceship, Part I, as in the OP
Spoiler :

Comfy Spaceship, Part II
Spoiler :

I'm thinking about a story featuring alien abductees. Maybe because I watched The Vast of Night a few weeks ago. I'm also thinking of Dark Matter, Farscape, Stargate: Universe, maybe a little bit of Galaxy Quest. A mysterious ship and a varied cast of characters forced to work together.

1. I'm going to start with an "Alien Abductor" class ship. Our cast of characters are all people who've been scooped up by an extraterrestrial spacecraft.

2. None of the interiors look very alien to me, but I was thinking that an alien who was kidnapping people might put some effort into making its captives feel more at home. When they designed their ship's habitat, they wanted it to be recognizable as a spaceship to their captives. They examined Earth's broadcasts and found transmissions featuring video representations of Earth spacecraft, or at least what Humans envisioned spacecraft to be. These broadcasts were of course from the 1960s-1970s. "Old-Fashioned Interior" it is.

3. Our group of abducted Humans awakens and meets one another. Looking around, they find...
3a.Tier-1 Cabins, a Tier-1 Medical Lab, Tier-1 Bathing Amenities, and a Tier-1 Library. They even find A Bar, with Games and Music. Most intriguingly, they find...
3b. A Tier-2 Fabricator. Naturally, they spend some time testing its limits and capabilities. Kentucky bourbon; Pad Thai; clothing better than the tacky Logan's Run jumpsuits they woke up wearing. After some time, with full bellies and proper attire, they decide they need to find out just what the hell is going on and strike out into the rest of the ship. They walk into...
3c. A Tier-2 Plant Garden and a Tier-2 Aquarium, each carrying samples of Earth flora and fauna. Moving on, they discover...
3d. In addition to the Human Crew Quarters they already found, Alien Crew Quarters. With aliens. It seems Earth wasn't the only planet this Alien Abductor visited. Each of the other species has its own quarters, complete with a Plant Garden and Aquarium representing their home planet. Interestingly, all of the aliens come from planets with approximate atmospheres and gravity. The abductors deliberately took a variety of species who could coexist on the same ship.

4. Moving on, our cast of characters and some of their new friends find the part of the ship meant for the crew, and locate...
4a. A Tier-1 A.I. Companion, operating its Tier-2 Synthetic Android. This appears to be the only "crew" on the ship. In a sense, it is the ship. Strangely, the ship has features for its "guests" that suggest they're not just prisoners, that the ship has more in mind for them.
4b. Wide Bridge Windows, provide a view and a Holographic Map shows the ship's position as it races towards its next destination, whatever that is. Moreover, the cast of Humans and aliens find...
4c. Upgraded EVA Suits tailor-made for everyone. Clearly, they're expected to be operating outside the ship, in hostile environments. Even more ominously, in another bay stand rows of Powered Armor, dwarfing the EVA suits and fitted with a variety of weapons. These are also seemingly made to the abductees' specifications, Human and alien alike. Clearly, the ship anticipates its new 'crew' will be encountering not just toxic atmospheres and extreme temperatures, but something that will require a mini-grenade launcher and an exoskeleton capable of swinging an SUV like a baseball bat.

5. Our heroes encounter Planetary Events and meet Alien Creatures in their travels, always having to return to the relative safety of the ship that abducted them in the first place before it takes off for its next destination. But waiting out there in the dark, the reason the alien ship needs its new crew: Dimensional Entities, the likes of which H.R. Giger and H.P. Lovecraft might have dreamed up, threaten all the myriad species of our galaxy.

I didn't realize I left that out!

Top Bottom