1. Early game settling and expanding
2. Infrastructures building and nation developing
3. War
4. Tech+Wonders racing
Which part of the game you think is the most annoying/you like least

Personally I hate the settling part most, since it is damn annoying when:
1. The AI beats you to settle on those luxuries
2. The AI attacks you when your defense is light early on
3. The bad road connection which takes you ages for your units to go from 1 city to another.
4. Takes too long for production+units movement.

I hate the tech racing nothing wrong with the wonders though :)

I can't really say I like or dislike some over the others. The expansion phase is critical, I like it. The one I dislike more of the four is probably tech racing. I just moved up to regent, and not being able to fly away from the AI is unsettling. But civ is a pile of all these, and I like civ, so I can't say I want any of them to go.

For me I like most of them. But, war IMO is a double-edged sword. Yes, it is fun, but sadly I think it takes way to long. Especially in the Late Indutrial and Modern Age. A lot of times my turns can take up to 2 hours during a war. So many units to move around. But, I do like having war. It gives the game more depth, and well a strategy game without war isn't a strategy game.

I agree with DS_Legionary, all of them are a part of the game and add to the depth. I would not want any of them to go away. I do think that war in the modern age takes too long but I have worked around that by always going to war in the ancient times or the middle ages.
I voted for tech/wonder because I hate it when all game I concentrate on being the most advanced and the AI beats me in tech anyways. When me and the AI are close to a wonder that is annoying too. Although in a good game I would never let the AI get close to me in tech or wonders :).

I enjoy the game the least when it has become obvious that the AI can't beat me, but it is too early to reach a victory condition. I feel obligated to keep playing just to prove the AI can't come back. I have ended some games with the UN just to get out of a lot of drawn out wars to reach domination limit.

All the phases you mention in the poll are interesting, though the modern era wars can get long.

IMO this poll does not belong in strategy and tips, though it is an interesting discussion.

Well, if moderator can move it to general discussion? Thanks
War comes to my second least favourite part of the game, since I am more like a builder.
Personally I love infrastructure building and empire developing. After your core cities get properly developed, I will mostly beat the AI after middle age. It is also more realistic - a more developed nation is the most powerful one, no only size.

The part of civ3 I hate thats not on the list would have to be that there are never any third world nations in any of my games. usually when there is a small civ (2-5 cities, maybe) the remaining AI's end up selling techs to them--keeping them at tech parity with the rest of the world. I know that if there are weak nations they shouldn't be existing (I should be conquering them!) but I always enjoy 1 or 2 weakling civs in a game; it adds some flavor :p

But if I were to pick a choice from the list, I would have to say that infrastructure building would have to be extremely boring on my part, because choosing which cities will do what gets tiring.

The thing I dislike most isn't on the list either; it is the tedium of managing workers (I don't trust the automated guys) and moving troops around. I agree with zerksees that the latter part of the game is too drawn out, after victory is assured, although realistically I suppose victory is assured before the start at lower levels and I can still enjoy these.

The thing I dislike most is the EARLY WAR.

I tend to build up and then attack, usually with a good Ancient UU or Knights in the Middle Ages.

But the game concept that is a real nuisance after your empire has grown is

C O R R U P T I O N

Curse it!!! It is broken every 2nd patch or Expansion, can be exploited and favors certain schematics of city placement that I dislike.

Mine isn't on the list either - I hate micromanaging everything. But I still do it all the time, because it is so damn powerful. I can see that micromanging the workers are inevitable since I can't really think of any good worker automation logic myself. What I hate most is the shield wastage on production. It never make any sense to me to try to get that exact divisor of what I am trying to build, easily wasting >30 shields if I do not micromanage.

expanding.

I think expanding is very boring, because if i expand rapidily in size, i dont have enough efficient soldiers to defend the cities that are borned and takes a lot of time to train one unit in it. Also the control decreases everytime i build a town. The problem of corruption is also a matter of great importance. The last thing is, i dont know why this happens, anytime i expand my empire to the double, for example, it's keep geting bored, so sometimes i abandon my games when i am at the top of the world....

Originally posted by DruguLa
... but I always enjoy 1 or 2 weakling civs in a game; it adds some flavor :p

Yeah, I like those weak little countries too. It's fun to see them expand like crazy, but since they didn't bother building a reasonable army I take their empire with a quick swift and name them my own. Great fun.

Anyway, I hate that settling thing too. This time is kinda scary since you don't know where the enemy is and when they threaten you, you won't know if you should co-operate or reject their offer and barbarians are everywhere.
So in conclusion it is hard to get the wheel rolling, but when it starts to roll, it is hella' fun.

I hate the wars. I find it so much more enjoyable to get other kinds of victories.

Top Bottom