1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

There is something seriously wrong with my Barbs!!!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Fluxx, Jun 27, 2009.

1. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam If A implies B...

Haha! This I was not aware of but it's funny enough that I like him more as an athlete now (I've always been somewhat neutral to him and golf in general).

2. Sero Sed Serio

Sero Sed Serio Chieftain

Hasn't been a lot of talk on this topic for the past three days, but I wanted to weigh in.

People play this game, and video games in general, for different reasons. Some look to video games for an escape, and others look to them for a medium to compete. Someone looking to compete (even with themselves, or the AI) is going to emphasize skill, even while someone looking to be immersed may value "realism".

The bottom line is that people don't like to lose. There is the rare occasion where outlandish outcomes that negatively affect the player in a disastrous way are intriguing (usually when it is pure chance that defies coding, not scripted filler), but most people don't like being side-swiped, such as in the case of the VA, especially after putting any amount of effort into a game. This is human nature. You feel it when you expect a candy bar to drop from a vending machine and it simply eats your money. You feel it when your girlfriend promises sex and then falls ill. You even feel it (some of us anyway) when you mistype a single letter in a word. To deliberately deliver that kind of frustration, that kind of meaningless road-block, is often lacking creativity.

There are much more satisfying and less permanent ways to inhibit the player without utterly destroying them. Realism at the expense of game-play is often a poor choice.