Things I learned about the science of warfare through Civilization IV

You can get hit by a cannonball and it doesn't kill you.

While a infantry men is fighting a longbowmen there is a great chance that his gun is going to jam and get himself killed.

Tanks aren't as much fun as a group of warriors with chainsaws.

The ancient Greeks built a gigantic copper statue to honor the man who discovered how to extract gold from water.

A quick way to finish off the Statue of Liberty is to work your slaves to death. This causes your people to aspire to greatness.

Similarly, the fastest way to build Notre Dame is for a great engineer to work himself to death. Thinking of his sacrifice makes all your citizens a bit happier.

Learning Monarchy drives your people to drink.

Totem poles were used by Native Americans all over the Americas to improve their archery skills because they make such good targets. However Native Americans never learned to use them to enhance their gunnery skills.

Native Americans trained dogs to wield axes. However, these dog warriors were weaker than most axemen because canines lack opposable thumbs. Aztecs had the same problem training jaguars to wield swords, as did the Arabs teaching camels to use bows and arrows. The Khmer were fortunate in this respect because their elephants' trunks are well adapted to operate ballistas.

City walls can't stop musket balls.

Your neighbor is totally okay with you letting an invading army march right through your country.

Your neighbor is totally okay with you letting an invading army march right through your country.
Wow! Nice neighbors. My neighbor hates it when my cat goes into his yard. :lol:

Wow! Nice neighbors. My neighbor hates it when my cat goes into his yard. :lol:

Undoubtedly you haven't discovered writing to sign open border agreements yet. Or he's an old Japanese hermit.

Maybe I should clarify, I meant if you have neighbors A and B, B can send his army through your land to attack A, yet A doesn't think ill of you. In RL that'd be considered an hostile act.

Native Americans trained dogs to wield axes. However, these dog warriors were weaker than most axemen because canines lack opposable thumbs. Aztecs had the same problem training jaguars to wield swords, as did the Arabs teaching camels to use bows and arrows. The Khmer were fortunate in this respect because their elephants' trunks are well adapted to operate ballistas.

This one made me laugh hard.

If I declare war on someone because you asked me to, that makes us good friends, even if I never actually send any troops or even have the capability to reach their lands.

If I declare war on someone because you asked me to, that makes us good friends, even if I never actually send any troops or even have the capability to reach their lands.

And if some guy I barely know gets drunk in a bar and picks a fight with the biggest dude in the place, he'll ask me for help. And then get mad at me when I say no. :confused:

Top Bottom