Things that irk you

One thing that really irks me is seeing the Aztecs found the city of Tlaxcala. Just a simple google search and 5 seconds of reading would have shed a splendor of light on how monstrously stupid this is. Phrases like "never a part of the aztec empire" and "perpetual state of war with the aztecs" come to mind.

But it doesn't really matter cos they're native americans right? Just shove in anything that was close by :goodjob:

When a Civ that you've been allied two since the very beginning, have been trading with since day one, have a DoF with, stabs you in the back, calls you the bad guy, refuses to make peace, and then goes and tells the rest of the world you can't be trusted.

And since the whole world has declared war on me, I have no one to trade with so my gold income has gone to hell.

When a Civ that you've been allied two since the very beginning, have been trading with since day one, have a DoF with, stabs you in the back, calls you the bad guy, refuses to make peace, and then goes and tells the rest of the world you can't be trusted.

And since the whole world has declared war on me, I have no one to trade with so my gold income has gone to hell.

Siam did that once after millenniums of DoFs, and that was the last thing he ever did :D

Terra and Continents maps should have each landmass contain unique resources. Just like in real life, when Europeans discovered the Americas, there was NEW STUFF. The fact that the game doesn't do this makes discovering other continents basically worthless.

Nikola Tesla's name is incorrectly spelt "Nichola" in game. He is also a great engineer, and while that's not wholly unfitting I personally think he would make a better fit as a great scientist.

Some aspects of 1UPT can make me so friggin annoying. A unit traversing half the globe randomly stops because it uses its magical powers to detect a unit on its destination tile, and yet doesn't realise that unit will almost definitely move by the time it gets there? Having to constantly reassign long-distance units is incredibly tedious and annoying. Try to move an army and it becomes a logistical nightmare.

And why exactly can't civilian units move through military units not belonging to you? You can see there's clearly a free spot your civilian unit can get to, yet for some reason it can't move through the unit to get there. Why? As if 1UPT (a system I mostly like and think makes Civ 5 much better for the most part) wasn't inconvenient enough.

Austria. Suleiman. Ashurbanipal's baby face (I like the rest of Assyria though). And the way that Nebuchadnezzar seems to have no friends, useless physicians and insomnia. I really feel for the guy.

Some aspects of 1UPT can make me so friggin annoying. A unit traversing half the globe randomly stops because it uses its magical powers to detect a unit on its destination tile, and yet doesn't realise that unit will almost definitely move by the time it gets there? Having to constantly reassign long-distance units is incredibly tedious and annoying. Try to move an army and it becomes a logistical nightmare.

And why exactly can't civilian units move through military units not belonging to you? You can see there's clearly a free spot your civilian unit can get to, yet for some reason it can't move through the unit to get there. Why? As if 1UPT (a system I mostly like and think makes Civ 5 much better for the most part) wasn't inconvenient enough.

I agree. I'm glad road builders don't interrupt if anything is anywhere on the path.

Irks me that Shaka sends settlers into my heavily infested land during war when it hasn`t a chance of surviving my forces.

Irks me that `AFRAID` is in bold letters. I would like an option to remove it- Not immersive.

GDR and Xcom units irk me too.

Steam vexes me mostly though- The ultimate Irk.

Begging. Begging for money, luxuries, resources from my 'friends.'

It annoys the Hell out of me. If you want something, PAY for it!

Begging. Begging for money, luxuries, resources from my 'friends.'

It annoys the Hell out of me. If you want something, PAY for it!

I turn down cash request flat since its usually in the thousands of gold.

Lux requests is an easy yes. its 240 gold at most, and most of the time, you get a permanent customer when they come back to renegotiate. You simply add the gold component back in. You get freebie diplo bonus and a new regular customer. win-win.

All that said, I don't get that many requests per civ.

I turn down cash request flat since its usually in the thousands of gold.

Lux requests is an easy yes. its 240 gold at most, and most of the time, you get a permanent customer when they come back to renegotiate. You simply add the gold component back in. You get freebie diplo bonus and a new regular customer. win-win.

All that said, I don't get that many requests per civ.

Negotiate? They want the luxuries for nothing.

Things that irk me:
1) perpetual warmonger penalty
2) Fighting bug when using a plane to attack carriers or subs. The fight lasts longer, with the same plane constantly flying around the carrier and carrier firing back a few seconds longer than usual. Then, the plane suddenly disappears back to where it came from. There are few other cases like this with other units too. When subs are attacked by planes, it's so weird seeing it spin around in circles like a compass trying to attack the plane.
3) When friends ask for stuff for free but you can't do the same (thank goodness they removed the diplomatic penalty for not offering gifts as requested!)
4) In emperor difficulty (and higher I presume), some AI's that are about 30 hexes away from you decide to found a city right next to your capital, usually thwarting your expansion plans. You can't tell them to settle elsewhere before they found that new city because they'll ignore you and then receive a diplomatic penalty for it.
5) AI doesn't create diplomatic penalty when they request you to stop expanding, yet you have to accept diplomatic hit when you make the same request.
6) Visual shadow glitch with Montezuma. Pre-BNW, this wasn't an issue, but now Monty is seen as in the dark (not always), even when there's a fire right next to him!
7) AI in BNW have become more shrewd in trading luxuries for gpt. Pre-BNW, you could sell a luxury resource for 7GPT. Now they only accept it for 6GPT. Yet, they're still willing to buy luxuries from you up front for 240 gold (standard speed: 30 turns duration of deal), provided that you are friends with them and they have the money.
8) AI generates huge deficits at times, yet their army doesn't vanish off the map and their science still keeps going.

UI bugs. I play through my mistakes, but I have the game autosave every turn so that I can replay when a UI bug bites.

Centering the screen and drawing a animation / popping up a message about one unit, but actually some other unit is selected and you move the wrong guy.

Waypathing that causes a unit to backtrack into a barb camp because another unit blocks the way.

Suddenly moving the selection to a random unit right after you clicked on one.

If I lose a unit or a key advantage to one of these I replay and make it do what I had wanted. When what I wanted ends badly I take my lumps and play through.

Negotiate? They want the luxuries for nothing.

You misunderstand him. Yes, the first time they get it for free. After 30 turns though, you will have a diplo bonus with them and they will ask to renew the deal. You can then change the deal ( meaning make them pay for it) and they will likely accept.

Customer for life.

Having to go check every turn to see if a luxury is available for trade (i.e. not the last copy). There needs to be some warning system so I don't have to always do it myself. That's what we pay advisors for.

Blue jeans and pop music - that's the thing that irks me the most. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against American culture, but BNW is all about dominating the world with The Dictatorship of the Proletariat, so why the world always wears blue jeans and always hears pop music? It could have been nice if we had different cultures for the three ideologies. Maybe red jeans for Order? :crazyeye:

You misunderstand him. Yes, the first time they get it for free. After 30 turns though, you will have a diplo bonus with them and they will ask to renew the deal. You can then change the deal ( meaning make them pay for it) and they will likely accept.

Customer for life.

Not with me; tried that. I accepted to deal and after it expired they only deal they wanted was to get it for free, again.

And most is the begging is for just money; no deal of any kind is possible with that.

Customer for life.

Until you forget renewing the DOF, and one turn later they dislike you. Covet your lands. Built wonders they coveted. Competing about the same city states. Warmongering menace to the world (even though they have racked up a considerably higher warmonger penalty) and etc. Then they will only pay you a measly 5 gpt at best for your luxury. I'd rather keep it than gifting it away. The AI is too stupid to realise that they need the happiness more than I need the cash. And another thing. The AI won't ever give you more than 6 gpt for a luxuary. But if I want one of their surplus luxuries, you have to stump up 8 gpt. No exceptions even for a friend.

Now thats off my chest ;)

I still can't get over most of the female leaders - they don't deserve to be in the game, they take up the spot of far more deserving, interesting and ACTUAL leaders and I just don't like them
No one can convince me that that Dido > Hannibal, Theodora > Justinian, Wu Whatsherface > Guan Yu, Isabella > El Cid etc
And while an argument can be made for some of the others like Elizabeth or Catherine, I'd still prefer Richard the Lionheart (yes, I know he wasn't a particularly good king) and Ivan the Terrible

This pretty much kills any inclination I might have of playing their civs
Which is annoying because if it wasn't for this nonsense, Carthage, Byzantium and Russia would be my top picks

Hahaha, as sad as this might sound, if anything, I'd prefer more female leaders, simply to look at cartoon cleaveges instead of beards :lol: (yes, I am kidding :) )

On a more serious note, I'd like to see perhaps 2 different leaders per civ, both with different UA's. So, in the example you gave, if you chose England, you could then choose between Richard the Lionheart, or Elizabeth the 1st, or between Catherine the Great & Lenin.

If I remember rightly, one of the older CIV games had this feature?

Top Bottom