1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Things you just can't resist

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jlindy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Moxxa

Moxxa Warlord

Playing on settler and nuking the AI's who still have longbows!

2. one2tieyourshoe

one2tieyourshoe Warlord

I can't resist:

-renaming cities I conquer to fit in with my Civ's naming scheme
    -unleashing my Abrams and Bradleys on spearmen, macemen, etc.and enjoying myself
    -not allowing the spread of religion beyond those controlled by my country
    -planning conquests in order to make my country better shaped rather than by a grand strategy
    -not sharing techs for free (even with my "friends"), allowing open borders, or selling techs for anything less than an exorbitant amount of gold
    -sending my privateers to pillage fishing boats even though I don't need the gold and barely know, let alone am hostile towards, the Civ I'm ruining with my pillaging

3. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Settler is a fun difficulty. It's not much of a difficulty actually if you think about it.
    There should be a Stylesrj difficulty though... I once made post in another thread about it

4. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

- playing one more turn :)

- pillaging enemy's territory. I just like the idea of my army, moving from tile
    to tile and just leaving "burned ground" behind :) Lately I discovered the good idea of destroying roads inside enemy empire. It makes your chances of destroying key cities much bigger - AI cannot move his defensive units faster
    than you move.....

5. Kepi

Kepi Chieftain

There are times where I'm a turn away from wiping out a civ, when I spot an isolated worker not camped in the last city. I find it hard to resist sending out a unit to capture it so it doesn't vanish after I've take out the civ. That may set me back a couple of turns, and on a couple of occasions even left me with just one unit too few to capture the city.
    I am convinced Firaxis intentionally left some worker baiting code in the game just to catch players like me. :blush:

6. Krick19

Krick19 Prince

Building the statue of zeus and declaring war on the biggest power there is, while turtling in my homeland. So funny to watch them collapse.

7. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

Roads. Everywhere. All the time.

I had this problem for the longest time, and like you, I'm just getting over it. Trust me, it helps.

This is so deliciously underhanded. I love it.

8. Heathen_Penguin

Heathen_Penguin Chieftain

Mmmmmm... donuts :drool:

I forgot the Liberalism race. I want that free tech!

Heathen

9. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

- I can't resist to use the old good strategy from CIV 1 and 2 - expand, expand, expand...... I played Greeks once, and I settled the whole continent. But I couldn't afford it. No matter what I did, the funds were going down.... I had to pass....

- As mentioned above - I can't resist on building everything possible in each city. Just every building seems very useful to me :) How to stop this bad habit? Isn't it great to produce research or money instead of putting another Intelligence Agency?

10. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

I can't resist going for the liberation race and being the first to get galleons
    I can't resist settling empty land mass that i previously had discovered with caravel
    I can't resist conquer my landmass

But I can't resist on Prince Level too....

11. deviantX

deviantX Chieftain

I can't resist a Quick speed Duel size Pangea Vulture rush every once in a while, trying to break my record in the number of turns it takes to win.

12. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

I think a possible 'cure' for those who build everything: Start a pangaea with all those known warmongerers and turn on aggressive ai. you can use the we to give them all the same religion while you adopt another. This will force you to build MANY units.

Well, alternatively, you can also use always war :rolleyes:

13. The Snug

The Snug The Civ Heretic

They should have an option for passive AI and friendly barbarians.

14. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

There is always peace and no barbarians...

15. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Aggressive AI ;)

edit: oops, should've read the whole thread.

16. Peter Harris

Peter Harris Warlord

Things I can't resist:
    - techs with free great people
    - every wonder I can build
    - founding every religion I can
    - backstabbing Cathy or Hannibal even if it means marching to the other end of a huge pangea world

17. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Building every building in every city.

One more turn.

Just finishing off the "Insert Civ Name Here", it is usuallly the French.

Expanding 2nd and 3rd cities to far away points to grab strategic resources then back filling with later cities.

Having the continent to myself.

Praetorian Rush.

Building mines on every hill, I don't think I have ever built a windmill, I have captured quite a lot, but they usually get mines built on them.

18. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

Heh. I'm another one with Civ2 tendencies. I insist on building the [Hoover] Dam, and I frequently over-prioritize railroad.

At the moment, since I'm new to BtS, I also can't resist messing with corporations. (I completely dropped the ball in my current game by not saving a GE only a few turns away from being able to found Mining Inc. Despite my best efforts at generating another one, I ended up with a GM instead. Sigh. I founded Cereal Mills with the specific intent of spamming it overseas, since I'm already a Sushi guy.)