1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

this game is boring

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mr_Wonka, Oct 25, 2010.

1. bitula

bitula Prince

Ooooh... Yup. But mods for Civ5? I wouldn't bother with those at this stage. The core SDK isn't even released...

2. hclass

hclass Prince

I just want to point out this:
    In Civ (taking all Civ1 to Civ4 into account), warmonger, empire builder, diplomat, explorer etc are not mutually exclusive.
    e.g.
    I like to explore as quickly as possible in order to conquest, besides, I too want to build a great empire.
    i.e.
    I definitely welcome any change in Civ to boast the fun of warfare, but that does not mean I have no feel when Firaxis screws up the game until no "great empire" can be built if you play it the war way...

3. aegyptrulesyew

aegyptrulesyew Chieftain

You nailed it brother :goodjob:

4. cman2010

cman2010 King

Yeah this game is a snooze fest unless you really dig hitting next turn all the time.

5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

He sure did. It was excellent.

I really like the part about the tension in cIV sending out a settler into the hostile wilds to get that awesome city site. That's been lost in Civilization 5.

The tension when you are scrambling to get your new city's defenses up to snuff and you see a Barbarian Axeman on the horizon. Good stuff. :)

6. Thorite

Thorite Chieftain

Hey there!

Glad you liked my first Civ5 experience! Wish I liked it more! It was both good and bad to see that most people had a similar experience.

I guess now I'm just hoping that the first expansion pack falls on its face. I'm not sure the execs at Firaxis can tell what a dud it is from its sales figures. I'm hoping that the sales on the expansion pack sends a more clear picture.

Cheers!

7. JamesCivFan

JamesCivFan King

It will definitely. I guess that people who don't like the game won't be interested in buying an expansion of a bad game (in their opinion). It will not have the "it's Civ, so I will buy it" excuse. Will be interesting to see how the sales will go.

8. NukeEm

NukeEm Chieftain

I currently have 215 hours played... and love the game. Late game crashes have kept me from playing but not the game itself. The game, for me, is still very entertaining. I can see how some find it boring. Personally I was bored by Civ4's combat (only combat, the rest was gold)... I love Civ5's combat and it's what has kept the game interesting for me.

9. code9

code9 Warlord

I just installed a few balance mods and started playing again after a long time. I am here now posting on the forum while i "take a break" from the game. Why am i taking a break? I'm not sure, my attention just wandered...

10. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

So... Civ5 is a war game then. The only thing keeping you playing is combat, not building a civ.

...my theory grows stronger.

11. cman2010

cman2010 King

yeah its not really for builders.

12. 501st Legion

501st Legion Warlord

I agree with the OP.

CiV ain't the worst game ever made, but after more than a hundred hours of playtime, it feels boring.

13. mattah

mattah Chieftain

We wouldn't class ourselves as fanatics, but my brother and I have played the Civ series from the beginning, and bought every new version of the game as they were released. Neither of us could bring ourselves to finish our first game of Civ 5 and have gone back to Civ IV: Fall from Heaven. We will almost certainly not be buying Civ 5 mods and will be taking a very long hard look at any future Civ products.

14. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Yep. Civilization 5 was made for warmongers, not builders.

This was intentional on the developers part in order to appeal to the casual gamer and the mass market.

If the AI was better then the game might be half decent to pretty good for a war game but it would still utterly fail as a Civ game.

It's too one dimensional. :(

15. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Nope, Civ5 was made for kids with "I MUST WINNNN" complex while every questionable part of the gameplay has been cut off so that parents won't hesitate to buy the game by any chance. There's no warmongering, with the AI as it is (the "Intelligence" part from the "AI" has been cut off too) a monkey could do fairly well on Prince or around.

I'm playing Sid Meier's Pirates now and seriously, land battles there are more challenging than this "warmongering" in Civ5.

16. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

I'd like to see some sort of "timeline sales graph" showing WHEN people buy the expansion pack .... I'm guessing the apex of the bell curve will be 1 to 2 to 3 months AFTER the pack is released..... indicating everyone is waiting for the "real reviews" and feedback from the "pioneers" (and maybe the first patch).

We won't be burned again !! (or maybe by then, we'll be sheep again :lol:)

17. BufordTJustice

BufordTJustice Chieftain

Well, I hope for exactly the opposite. I hope (please note, it is a "hope", nothing more) that the first (and maybe second) expansion pack really make the game. Please remember, vanilla Civ IV was also a mess and is still unplayable for me. The add ons, especially BtS made the game what it is.

Why history has to repeat itself though... I don't know. It's a shame... :dunno:

18. Pistolage

Pistolage Chieftain

Give it time. I'm sure it can be a great game. I understand some of the complaints here.

IIRC, Civ4 was also a mess at the beginning, but as time went on, people hailed it as the best in the series.

I personally think Civ5 is simply Firaxis experimenting. They're trying to make the game accessible. When they have successfully done in my opinion, although at the cost of some complexity.

I'm sure Firaxis is listening to the complaints and will improve the game with patches and the like.

I'm just being optimistic, I'm enjoying the game right now even with its flaws.

19. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

I remember pirates. I liked the game, but it got boring after a while. True the land battles in Pirates were difficult in some instances.

20. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Pirates! is a damn good game. Loved that game. Wish somebody would do an updated and expanded version with sort of an Oblvion-esque RPG.