This game is sooooo vast...

Prozac1964

Warlord
Civ 5 is so incredibly vast, how could I ever hope to master every aspect of the game. It's just crazy! :( :blush::eek:

Prozac venting, that's all. :sad:

Well its okay.

Practice makes perfect.

To be honest we all started there. Having a vague idea of what to research etc... But as you play you start to know everything by heart, what every tech gives and where it is on the tree. Same for policies. At this point strategies make even more sense to you and it starts to snowball.

And the good news is that once you "master" this game, jumping on the next one is easy.

1600 hours in, and I'm still learning new stuff. Like how you can sell the buildings in cities that you're razing to get more gold. Or how only ocean tiles that are 3 or fewer tiles from land will display hex yields (makes navigation easier). Or how right-clicking on a World Congress resolution's up/down arrow will commit all of your delegates to that resolution (no more clicking 20 times!).

Civ 5 is so incredibly vast, how could I ever hope to master every aspect of the game. It's just crazy! :( :blush::eek:

Prozac venting, that's all. :sad:

If this game is hard to comprehend, then NEVER play Paradox Interactive games (Europa Universalis 4/Crusader Kings 2/Hearts of Iron series/etc), or you will never be able to understand them.

Or how right-clicking on a World Congress resolution's up/down arrow will commit all of your delegates to that resolution (no more clicking 20 times!).

Are.. are you serious? My god, this is like the best news I've ever heard. I think I love you. :love:

Practice makes perfect.

To be honest we all started there. Having a vague idea of what to research etc... But as you play you start to know everything by heart, what every tech gives and where it is on the tree. Same for policies. At this point strategies make even more sense to you and it starts to snowball.

And the good news is that once you "master" this game, jumping on the next one is easy.

Thanks, Acken. It's encouraging to hear more experienced players say that. I can't wait for it all to snowball. :)

I put a city in snow.

It didn't snowball.:sad:

If this game is hard to comprehend, then NEVER play Paradox Interactive games (Europa Universalis 4/Crusader Kings 2/Hearts of Iron series/etc), or you will never be able to understand them.

Haha. I've only played Hearts of Iron 2 (and it's variants) and 3. Know what you mean though, especially about HOI3. They've a new one due early next year, I hope it brings the fun back. HOI3 was a big disappointment, slow, micromanaged, confusing, with a seriously gimped political / diplomatic / economic side. The only thing it improved on was graphics (irrelevant) and smaller tiles, which made more realistic encirclements possible with armoured units. They never topped the final development of HOI 2, Arsenal of Democracy , in my opinion. The random and scriped events, with actual choices to make and free political slider moves, felt really historic. Saw the demo vid of HOI4, unfortunately the events system seems to take more after HOI 3 than 2 from what i can see though.

1600 hours in, and I'm still learning new stuff. Like how you can sell the buildings in cities that you're razing to get more gold. Or how only ocean tiles that are 3 or fewer tiles from land will display hex yields (makes navigation easier). Or how right-clicking on a World Congress resolution's up/down arrow will commit all of your delegates to that resolution (no more clicking 20 times!).

Gaddamit! I didn't know this one! :eek:

Haha. I've only played Hearts of Iron 2 (and it's variants) and 3. Know what you mean though, especially about HOI3. They've a new one due early next year, I hope it brings the fun back. HOI3 was a big disappointment, slow, micromanaged, confusing, with a seriously gimped political / diplomatic / economic side. The only thing it improved on was graphics (irrelevant) and smaller tiles, which made more realistic encirclements possible with armoured units. They never topped the final development of HOI 2, Arsenal of Democracy , in my opinion. The random and scriped events, with actual choices to make and free political slider moves, felt really historic. Saw the demo vid of HOI4, unfortunately the events system seems to take more after HOI 3 than 2 from what i can see though.

I never played HOI games, and started playing paradox games with Eu4 and cs2 and I found them amazing! I am really happy that I found these two games ( thanks to steam offers) for something new to play along civ games.

I'll 2nd the OPs thought.

For perhaps both our sakes, let me ask, what's the best way to start playing?
Tutorial or Prince?
Earth or other map?
Which Civs to avoid (Denmark?)
What victory to aim for?
Tall or Sprawl?

-Tutorial/Warlord if you really never played the game and have no idea how it plays, Prince if you have at least 1 game behind you and just "know" how to play (mechanicaly).
-Pangea and continents will probably teach you the most. The AI is crap on water map.
-Just pick good civs like Babylon, Poland, Arabia, Korea.
-Try your hand at all of them. You need to understand how all of them work. Mastering science output is important for all victories though.
-Play Tall it's easier, try to make 3 to 4 cities for now. Make 3 if you're uncomfortable pushing a fourth (due to happiness). Once you feel you can manage go for a fourth as often as possible.

As a game player for the last 35 years I have found that any game can be vast if you look closely enough. There is almost always more to learn once you achieve each new plateau of skill. Civ 5 changes into a different creature each time you shift to a New Difficulty in many ways. Enjoy the ride, and try not to rage-quit when you hit a wall my friend.

I stopped at Emperor. Anything above and I just get...cranky.

Bang on. To win on anything above you need to stop making human decisions and micromanage to much. I've started to look for ways to make emperor more challenging though

-Tutorial/Warlord if you really never played the game and have no idea how it plays, Prince if you have at least 1 game behind you and just "know" how to play (mechanicaly).
-Pangea and continents will probably teach you the most. The AI is crap on water map.
-Just pick good civs like Babylon, Poland, Arabia, Korea.
-Try your hand at all of them. You need to understand how all of them work. Mastering science output is important for all victories though.
-Play Tall it's easier, try to make 3 to 4 cities for now. Make 3 if you're uncomfortable pushing a fourth (due to happiness). Once you feel you can manage go for a fourth as often as possible.

Thanks!

-What about Earth?
-I like America/Iroquis/Shoe/Greece/Denmark....would you recommend any of the or any to avoid?

Top Bottom