This is a beta.

Oneluv

Warlord
Sorry but this game is not ready for release. The Civ name written on the box doesn't mean more than potential and hype. I had really hoped for an improvment over Civ 4. I don't care about how a game looks, I just want it to not do STUPID things.(read the myriad of other posts for examples ad nauseum.)

The most fun I've had lately playing vids has been with Plants Vs. Zombies($10). That game looks like hell but you know what...it's actually fun. Civ may be a lot of things but fun I'm not so sure about anymore.

You Civ mavens have done so much amazing work making Civ 4 functional; it just seems a shame(again) that Firaxis seems content to milk the Civ name and put out shlocky products over and over again. If the A.I. is junk so is the game. Period.

Does anyone else find it strange that the expectation of actually making this heap of over-wrought dung into a workable product is expected to fall on the modding community and not the program developers themselves?

Ad copy I found for Civ V: Hey guys this has the potential to be a decent game, simply fork over $50 and wait 18 mos. for the progs at Civfanatics to fix it. Feel the heat! Civ V... " Return of the infinite beta."

...not to mention the thing is an un-godly CPU pig. :nuke:

Alas, poor Civilization! I knew him, Oneluv,
a game of infinite turns, of most excellent fancy;
it hath borne me on its back a thousand games;
and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!
My gorge rises at it. Here hung those Civs
that I have conquered I know not how oft.
Where be your fun now? (Gamelet, V.i)

A little bit of drama to help your thread along.

Well, that's just how they make them these days. Make them pretty, simplified, streamlined and sell millions.

Elemental Forum is that way ---->

new to pc games i must assume.

Its 24 hours after launch. No game launches flawlessly. NONE

Well, that's just how they make them these days. Make them pretty, simplified, streamlined and sell millions.

I guess that explains where you come from. Boom. Toasted.

new to pc games i must assume.

Its 24 hours after launch. No game launches flawlessly. NONE

Super Mario Bros. Boom. Toasted.

always better to get a game out there making money and then fix the problems while people have the game in their hands, rather than fixing the problems and making a loss before the game's release.

Capitalism my friend.

I honestly don't think the things I am torn about are a result of an unfinished game. I think this is the direction that Civilization is headed, and these were all conscious choices. There isn't room for big-budget strategy games anymore, and you need to broaden it out to a wider audience so that Firaxis doesn't go bankrupt. I guess I can't fault them for that.

But please don't tell me that I don't understand the "secret" complexity of the game. You can have a debate about whether or not removing some of the economic and diplomatic depth is a good idea, but you can not have a debate about whether or not they removed it. It's gone. And if we are looking at the last two releases - V and Revolution - it's probably not coming back.

If you want a serious empire management strategy game, you probably need to look towards Settlers 7, which is worlds better than Civilization V in that regard. Before you all freak out, V is a better game overall, but not a better empire management strategy game.

Beta? How is it unfinished?? You don't provide any specifics.

The game seems incredibly stable for me (including to alt-tab), and seems like a highly polished product.

You may or may not like the design decisions, but I can't see how you think it isn't finished.

Except for Religion, what has gone missing between CivIV diplomacy and the new one? I'm being serious--honestly spent more time running around and looking at stuff in my few hours of game last night than the diplo.

Beta? How is it unfinished?? You don't provide any specifics.

The game seems incredibly stable for me (including to alt-tab), and seems like a highly polished product.

You may or may not like the design decisions, but I can't see how you think it isn't finished.

i'm with you, absolutely no problems here. game has been fun and addicting. some quibbles about the AI, but thats expected.

It's funny how so, so many of the posts from people who don't like the game are over-exaggerating, outlandish, drama queen filled garbage posts. Amazing how that works.

...not to mention the thing is an un-godly CPU pig. :nuke:

I actually have the opposite complaint: it's not using nearly enough CPU power, and I have to sit around waiting 5-10 seconds in between turns when my CPU is nearly idle. Not sure what it's doing, though maybe I can fix it by settling CivV to "realtime" on task manager.

I honestly don't think the things I am torn about are a result of an unfinished game. I think this is the direction that Civilization is headed, and these were all conscious choices. There isn't room for big-budget strategy games anymore, and you need to broaden it out to a wider audience so that Firaxis doesn't go bankrupt. I guess I can't fault them for that.

But please don't tell me that I don't understand the "secret" complexity of the game. You can have a debate about whether or not removing some of the economic and diplomatic depth is a good idea, but you can not have a debate about whether or not they removed it. It's gone. And if we are looking at the last two releases - V and Revolution - it's probably not coming back.

If you want a serious empire management strategy game, you probably need to look towards Settlers 7, which is worlds better than Civilization V in that regard. Before you all freak out, V is a better game overall, but not a better empire management strategy game.

Economic depth? In Civ IV? Oh, you must be referring to pressing little plusses and minuses on your spending sliders. Yeah. Not really that deep.

Oh, you mean choosing where citizens work? Well, that's in Civ V, too. Sorry, dude. You don't really have a point there.

Diplomatic depth? Except for religion, it's all there. Oh, and some. Civs get mad when you put units on their border, they get mad when you try to compete with them for City State influence, they get upset with each other, you can do Pacts of Secrecy and Research Agreements... Seems like there's way more diplomacy here than in Civ IV. Huh. No point here, either. You're not good at this.

Super Mario Bros for the PC?

For the NES. It released pretty flawlessly except for a few minor glitches that most people didn't experience.

But if PC games was your stipulation (it wasn't), some PC games released and didn't need to patch for a long time. Interesting, no?

Am I the only one to notice that in the dozen or so "this game sucks" threads the OP never actually brings up a valid, detailed point about failing of game mechanics or game performance? All these posts tend to be pretty much the same, and it's really starting to irk me.

To be fair, there are many who post the exact opposite, lauding how perfect this game, again without actually bringing any facts to the table, and neither of these types of threads seem to be started with the intent of creating discussion or meaningful dialog.

You can't save in multiplayer, nor can you specify joining a private game from an in-game menu (I had to use steamfriends. Good thing neither of us was retail).

I'd say thats not finished.

Top Bottom