Thoughts on Diablo III?

I assume he/she means, will the game pick your skills as well?

I highly doubt they would do that.

There will be no skill synergies, however. :(

Possibly saving it for an x-pac though.

[to_xp]Gekko;10618737 said:
oh right, I wasn't sure if he was talking about d3 or the d2 mod I mentioned :D

It sounds cool. I may have to check that out. :D

Stupid forum screwing up. :rolleyes:

We shall see I guess. I am getting a distinctly bad vibe from the game. I'll be happy to be proven wrong however.

Anyway, I'm going to try Titan Quest in the meantime. Looks pretty cool for a hack and slash. :)

Possibly saving it for an x-pac though.

X-pack lol. I'll be very VERY surprised if we get any x-packs for D3, it will probably be DLC microtransaction style instead. The days of proper x-packs are on their way out of the market.

X-pack lol. I'll be very VERY surprised if we get any x-packs for D3, it will probably be DLC microtransaction style instead. The days of proper x-packs are on their way out of the market.

I agree with you. Times, they are a changing. :sad:

Doesn't Blizzard (that most abnormal of companies) still make x-pacs though?

Like for WoW and Starcraft?

I agree with you. Times, they are a changing. :sad:

Doesn't Blizzard (that most abnormal of companies) still make x-pacs though?

Like for WoW and Starcraft?

I don't play Starcraft so I don't know. For WoW they do it in expansion mode, but I'm not sure how much of that is benevolence on their part and how much is them thinking "we can't charge microtransactions to people who are already paying monthly." Plus, with the way the game is structured, microtransactions would be hard, because all of the content that needs to be added needs to be done simultaneously. They can't just say "$5, download DLC to raise the level cap" because that would throw off the system. When they do it, they have to raise the level cap, put in new zones for questing up to that level cap, add new dungeons and raids, make changes to pvp all at the same time or else everything would get ****** six ways from Sunday. I would call WoW a bad example because it's structure almost DEMANDS x-pack sized updates.

I don't play Starcraft so I don't know. For WoW they do it in expansion mode, but I'm not sure how much of that is benevolence on their part and how much is them thinking "we can't charge microtransactions to people who are already paying monthly." Plus, with the way the game is structured, microtransactions would be hard, because all of the content that needs to be added needs to be done simultaneously. They can't just say "$5, download DLC to raise the level cap" because that would throw off the system. When they do it, they have to raise the level cap, put in new zones for questing up to that level cap, add new dungeons and raids, make changes to pvp all at the same time or else everything would get ****** six ways from Sunday. I would call WoW a bad example because it's structure almost DEMANDS x-pack sized updates.

Fair enough. I have never played WoW or Starcraft. Just not my thing.

What is the StarCraft II Trilogy?

The StarCraft II Trilogy consists of the base StarCraft II game and two subsequent expansion sets. StarCraft II is subtitled Wings of Liberty (working title) and will include a lengthy single-player campaign that focuses on the terrans and puts players in the role of Jim Raynor, one of the series' main heroes. The first expansion set, Heart of the Swarm (working title), will follow later and include a single-player campaign focusing on the zerg and Kerrigan, Queen of Blades. The second expansion set, Legacy of the Void (working title), will continue the story experience with a single-player campaign centered on the protoss.

http://us.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

It seems Starcraft II will get a couple of expansions. They seem to be more than mere DLC. I'd expect the same for Diablo III. Could be wrong though.

I was looking forward to it, but over the course of the last yeast I just stopped caring for some reason.
I'll buy it eventually, but I won't play it as excessively as I used to play Diablo 2.

Health globes coming out of skeleton is stupid but so is drinking potions in the middle of fights really. Whatever those potions are. And maybe they aren't really "coming out" of skeletons as in you're stealing their life, but maybe they represent your character regaining some "strength" by virtue of succeeding at killing stuff... Some sort "we're gonna win this!" healing surge... Basically, by saying the "skeletons drop their life and you take it to heal yourself", you invented a back story for the phenomenon yourself, you might as well make another one up that fits your style more...

As for stats, I sort of think they will have transferred the way they interacted with the builds for something like mathematic-y. Maybe runes like you said. Let's hope. Anyway, I never liked it much like I said. I do hope for a variety of ways to build characters of course. I should hope they are aware this is one of the major selling points of the series.

Hah, I have a friend who theorized that D2 characters don't actually drink potions: they just smash the bottles against themselves and the potions work their magic on skin contact.

Which makes for an equally hilarious image.

I'm looking forward to it. Not really paying much attention to the pre-release hype because why bother? It's all fluid until release day (to us) so there's no point obsessing about design during the development stage.

RE: "appealing WoW fanbois and casuals etc etc" - I understand the appeal in condescension to those faceless hordes you imagine are corrupting your precious games, but Blizzard doesn't need to do anything to Diablo to make it appealing to WoW players - many of them are going to be first in line when it ships! As for casuals, I've yet to meet a "casual gamer" as defined by someone on an internet forum, so I think they're just an urban legend. :lol:

For myself, I'll definitely check it out when it drops. I won't pre-order and I may not buy it on day 1 (been burned too many times by developers I once trusted) but I'm sure I'll pick it up shortly thereafter, barring any unforseen disasters. I don't really expect Blizzard to screw this one up, though - unlike Firaxis, they can take their time with their flagship products and ensure all their new systems work together coherently.

I don't expect the game to be bad, I'm just not into mindless rpg's anymore (if it can really be called an rpg). If you think about it. In hindsight, Diablo 1 and 2 weren't all that great. Some of the visuals were unique, and that's what I remember most about the games are certain maps and areas. And for some reason I remember the Butcher. I'll never forget him.

They are still some of the best games around and I still play them. The main attractions of Diablo were: completely random dungeons and most importantly random loot falling from any monster in the game, giving you this addictive "oh man I need a better sword, maybe THIS skeleton will give it to me" feel. Also, character builds to try and most effectively kill all these minions very quickly... Most game nowadays seem to have monsters that take many hits to kill whereas in Diablo you could quickly dispatch huge amounts of enemies. It was more fast-paced.

If you're in for story, then no. There are days I wanna play Fallout New Vegas or Planescape Torment, then there are the days I only have one hour ahead of me before I go to bed and I had to work all day long outside and I'm pooped out. Then I'll be playing a mindless Action RPG with that thrill in it.

The random loot is very important, it's the core mechanic of this sort of game to me. If you don't like the cheesy feeling of random drops and "holy crap new set of armor", then of course it's not for you. Random loot is more than just the way it is in World of Warcraft for instance. And I hope the way it is in WoW doesn't enter DIII. Thing is, in WoW, you can go on thotbot or something like this and know which monsters have what odds of giving you what exactly. I just don't like that at all.

The random loot is very important, it's the core mechanic of this sort of game to me. If you don't like the cheesy feeling of random drops and "holy crap new set of armor", then of course it's not for you. Random loot is more than just the way it is in World of Warcraft for instance. And I hope the way it is in WoW doesn't enter DIII. Thing is, in WoW, you can go on thotbot or something like this and know which monsters have what odds of giving you what exactly. I just don't like that at all.

Ha maybe you haven't checked the internet lately, but you can do that with D2 as well. The loot on D2 is not totally random, it's handled by equations that have been known and analyzed to the ground for ages now. Rares and magic items may have random modifiers but if you are looking for a certain unique or set item, rune, etc. there are very clearly monsters that give you better odds of getting those particular items. This is still better than WoW where bosses generally have a predefined list of 5+ blues or purps that they drop but it's in no way immune to the internet lookup that you are fearing. In fact I predict the system in D3 will be cracked within a month of release and people will be able to look up exactly where to go for the best odds on particular items.

Top Bottom