Thoughts on Diablo III?

I was a huge fan of Diablo I and II. Utterly fantastic games, right off the shelf. I've been anticipating DIII for years now, and I have to say that I think I'm going to be disappointed. For one, the graphics look cartoony, it looks Civ 4-ish. It looks as if they've abandoned the terror aspects of the other games. Stepping into the Flayer Dungeon or some abandoned crypt in the desert used to be downright scary, I've startled before at someone who bothered me while hunting the Witch Doctor. And I don't like the not-potions that drop from enemies, it doesn't make sense from a story point of view.

I probably won't buy this, but I'll wait for reviews before I deliver the final verdict.

Alternatively you could play MedianXL for D2 and enjoy a totally revamp and awesome game.

"changes in art direction aren't necessarily bad things " Statement of the year? ...

No one says art direction changes can't be a good thing. As we obviously see with Starcraft. Except we already know what D3 will look like, so it's legit to to disagree with the change for those who do disagree.

In fact I think someone should send your "changes in art direction aren't necessarily bad things" to Blizzard so that they consider changing the art direction NOW and make it gloomier.

I'm fairly unhappy with this as I know what Battle.net became with spammers and bots. D3 is only making it profitable. The fun part of the game is instantly ruined when a kid buys all the best loots with his daddies credit card and no one will trade item for item with you because they can make a profit off of idiots like the kid. In effect making it impossible to get items without spending your hard earned cash. And there are somethings I never found in D2 in all my years of doing item runs, so this is a nail in the coffin. :(

I was looking forward to the game when it was anounced, but I dislike most of what I've read about the new character system and I've been steadily losing interest.

That settles it then.:(

Yeah, this is a huge travesty to me. I never thought Blizzard would stoop to the level of basically profiting off of real money transactions, but they have. I'm probably not getting D3 now. You'd think WoW was enough of an ATM machine for them but apparently not.

It does sound like an April Fool's joke. Seriously. But it's true. What?!

My heart is kind of broken. But are they really responsible for the real-money auction house? Like they repeated many times; people did it using shady websites anyway. And they say that the money they will personally make out of it will be a flat rate (i.e. they won't make more money from someone selling a 0,50$ item than from someone selling a 100$ item, and they simply hope to cover the server costs with this, and not make huge profits (... rrrright)). Yet... At least I could easily stay away from this shady business in D2, but now I'll be there trying to find awesome loot when a lot of it is available with a "buy now" button next to it for maybe 2-5$ ... I really wish this didn't happen. We don't have to participate in this I guess. If you just play with friends and you know no one playing with you uses the auction house.. And frankly this is how I used to play D2 anyway. Only with people I knew. And honestly D2 already had some pretty stupid stuff going on, like the whole Stones of Jordan trading economy gamick. I guess they're trying to cope with the inevitable crappy peripheric trading systems that sprouted around the game and affected everybody's multiplayer experience ANYWAY. But yeah, now there is a possibility I will be even less interested in playing with strangers anyway, because they will have possibly bought their items, cheapening the experience of finding my own loot when the guy playing with me spent 10 minutes buying it. I've said it many times in this thread, but random loot is probably the most important thing for me in this game, using what I'm given to build my character. Now I have the option of getting exactly the items I want using the Auction House, cheapening the experience... Will have to resist with my friends.

I'm not throwing the towel yet, I'll see how this actually affects the game. If it actually does feel cheap as I am worrying, well, I'll really just have to play with friends who aren't part of this weak crowd of people who can't just play the game the non-crass way, the people who just give up like typical weak bastards who are used to getting everything they want right away.

Also, is there really a 10 characters limit? What? I have like 30 Diablo 2 characters!!!! What the ...!!

No moddability? I almost never play mods of any games. Most of the mods I use are interface changes or graphics changes. Virtually never gameplay ones. Anyway, this is a pretty bad decision on their part but it won't affect me. It's just frustrating that it's gonna be like this pretty much based on their other crappy decisions (always online + auction house + account based). Anyway, I think I won't care too much, but it's just more reasons to smear the game for those who like mods.

As for always online. Well I'm sorry if this affects you, maybe one day you'll live in 2011 like the rest of us. Hopefully it will be lenient when connection breaks for a few seconds.

Anyway, was this the big announcement for August 1st? I'm still waiting for the real thing that will satisfy me (i.e. release date). I think beta will start soon, with few people, and will be relatively short. Maybe a 2011 release.

I'll probably buy the game on release, but that's only because the first diablo games were such an integral part of my younger years. Any other game I wouldn't.

Ehhh I'm really on the fence about this real money auction system business. On the one hand, I can see where those against it are coming from. It provokes a "WTF someone else can get the same stuff I spent hours farming for by just spending money" response. On the other hand, this could be a handy way for me to make some money on items I would naturally find anyway, maybe get one of those vanity mounts for WoW that I have always wanted but never been willing to spend real money on. If I resist the temptation to buy (which I easily can), only play by myself or with friends anyway (exactly like I did with Diablo 2), and just use this to sell, it could work out for me.

Unless you plan on engaging heavily in the PVP feature of the game, how, exactly, does the auction house affect your game experience?

I plan on playing this game the same way I did with all the others. Either solo or within my small circle of gaming friends that probably won't participate in the auction house, and could care less of others did. We will probably play though it on varying difficulty levels, and trade stuff just within our circle just for local bragging rights and to have fun pushing difficulty levels to see if we can pull certain challenges off. The Diablo games were more than entertaining even as solo ventures w/decent action and storylines. I dont see this being any different from that successful formula, and will probably get more than good value out of the game as I play it.

That's pretty much my position MobBoss, the way I play Diablo games is not competitive so this doesn't give anyone an unfair "advantage" over me. And I might be able to make enough to get a sparkle pony in WoW, just by playing the game the way I normally would anyway. Overall I'm tentatively supportive of it, all this stuff would be sold anyway on the black market, this just gives it legitimacy and makes it easier for Blizzard to enforce the rules.

Edit: Also, if anyone has seen all of the screenshots, apparently you can sell gold and characters for real life money too. Anyone who likes PVP better get your wallets ready because there are going to be a plethora of spoiled brats buying level 99's (or whatever the max level is in this game).

You guys are right... if you play only with your circle of friends, which is what I usually do. Playing with random people though, if you restrict yourself from using the AH, but other people obviously do, even if it's just PvE, it still cheapens the experience. I've already sort of explained how I thought it did in my previous posts. In any case, I rarely played with strangers in D2 since already then people going to private shady websites and participating in the "SoJ" economy already did cheapen everything. Overall I find this AH business gives the game a bit of cheap Southasian free MMORPG flavor.

But I don't know if I'll suffer much from this since I most likely will not play so much with strangers.

I see your point man but I just don't see how it's different in that regard to people in D2 buying stuff from shady websites. This is just a legitimized version of the same, if you could get over it to play D2 you should be able to do the same for D3. If, like you, you rarely played D2 online because of that, then you can still keep your play separate just like in D2 and not be bothered by it. In fact, you would have to, because it would be a matter of hours before the first black market websites started popping up just like in D2. I would HATE this system in WoW because that's a game with a persistent world and economy and this would ruin that, but in D3 it seems like something that is easy to ignore if it bothers you.

I see your point man but I just don't see how it's different in that regard to people in D2 buying stuff from shady websites. This is just a legitimized version of the same, if you could get over it to play D2 you should be able to do the same for D3.

I guess you could say I *DIDN'T* get over it in D2. Which is why I only played online with friends. But yeah, I think we're saying the same thing.

Given the announcements they made around battle.net 2.0 when it came out, it's something I personally expected. I guess if you don't play WoW or really followed much when it came out it could come as a surprise.

As I already mentioned somewhere else here, I expect it'll be like SC2, where you can play the single player offline, it just won't save any achievements or anything.

Top Bottom