1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

time spent playing - how do you end a session?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by clif9710, Jan 3, 2011.

?

How do you end your Civ sessions?

1. BIOLOGICAL: when I get too tired or hungry to continue

47 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. SOCIAL: when my sig other/parent/kid bugs me to stop

20 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. PSYCHOLOGICAL: when I feel guilty about the time I've spent

19 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. MECHANICAL: by alarm clock. After X hours/minutes I stop

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. LOGICAL: when I have achieved a goal in the game

30 vote(s)
    20.3%
  6. NUMERICAL: when a certain number of turns/game years have passed

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. OTHER

24 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. tifereth

tifereth Chieftain

SOCIAL (1st)
    BIOLOGICAL (2nd, but I can be very tough... and never underestimate the power of a glass of water/cup of tea with 2 biscuits combined with a toilet visit ;) )

2. mike1117112

mike1117112 Chieftain

I was looking at the list, and at one time or the other each one has come into play ( Including the crash quit). I do find it easier to get up from than 4, but have had a few enjoyable all-nighters with 5 too.
    I'll vote Other as in different reasons make me quit.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Combo. Usually play in the evenings, so depends which of too tired/look at clock and realize I should be tired/sig other starts asking if I'm going to head to bed yet or asks if I'd like to help out with [insert chore here]

4. shanodin

shanodin Chieftain

If my friends want to do something, or if I'm tired. Civ5 is a long haul game so I only sit down to play when I know I've got plenty of time to play :)

5. davelisowski

davelisowski Spartan

I used to stop when I looked at the clock and realized how long it has been... But since ciV doesn't have that feature, anything really... dog, bathroom, drink, food, football, tv, fiancee, etc.

6. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

When i play single player i feel bored after 1 hour of play.

If i play multiplayer i reserve enough time to possibly complete a game between 2 and 4 hours of play.

Since i usually survive for a long time, i have to take care of the amount of time needed.

7. Beef Hammer

Beef Hammer Warlord

Other, I quit because i get bored. I have never actually seen the end game screen as there isn't much of a need, once I can tell I'm going to win or not i start anew, or go play something else.

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

OTHER: When I get bored/tired of playing and need a break. Usually in about 1-2 hours. It's been the same for all other civ games i've played. And most other games too I guess.

9. zerotwo

zerotwo Chieftain

Usually the AI does something incredibly random that ****s up my entire game flow so I give up.

I am in my groove, my civ is moving along, I'm getting by by the skin of my teeth making friends and allies having a war here or there, things are going great and then... entire planet declares war... or entire planet denounces me... and I know it's going to lead to a giant world war eventually.

I don't play aggressive, I don't build every wonder, I don't have a massive or a tiny army, I don't have a billion cities or stranglehold on every resource, I try to trade and make alliances and so forth but it just doesn't seem to matter. I've only finished 3 games of ciV in 110 played hours because it's just more fun to start again than plod through the inevitable wars against the crap-shoot AI.

Even as I have scaled the difficulty up it's always the same, you can make friends with everyone on the planet but they'll ALL turn on you eventually. They never turn on eachother... it's just... lame...

I enjoy the early game anyway, it seems like eventually you just know how the game will play out so why bother burning the required 60-120 mins just to get there? Boring.

TLDR: Boredom/Disappointment

10. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

For me, it varies. I stop if I feel like I am becoming too addicted to it (Civ IV). Also, I am 13 and around 9 my parents say I need to get ready for bed (later on weekends). Also, I have homework to do, and I often do other stuff to. So I get ready to stop with social, but I then play until I am at peace or there is a lull in the war, and I am not about to research an important tech.

11. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

When my eyes dry out and film over and hurt too bad to concentrate anymore. Or if I have to be to work in a couple hours. Aww hell, time to call in sick... again.

12. avdale

avdale Chieftain

I like keep saves of the game at certain important points in case I want to go back and see if I can do something more efficiently or if an alternate option would have worked better so I tend to stop playing at points where a goal is accomplished.

E.g From turn 1 up to GLib

13. Furyofposeidon

Furyofposeidon Chieftain

What an original poll Idea!

14. Ellye

Ellye Warlord

Uh, there doesn't seem to be an option for "when my breaktime in work is over". That would be it, for me.
    I guess it counts as "social"?

Edit: Oh, right Mechanical. Missed that one. That's pretty much it, I have almost exactly 40 minutes to play each day during my midday break at work.

15. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

I like this poll. Obviously the choices cannot cover every possible reason, so people should be able to extrapolate a bit. Just because it says "Social - sig other/parents/kids" doesn't mean that when it's your friend or your dog, you don't chose social...

Anyhow, I chose OTHER since my reasons are pretty much half SOCIAL (sig other bugging me) half BIOLOGICAL (it is time to go to bed because I work the next day).

16. James T

James T Chieftain

I really have to exert some willpower to not fire up the game when I know I need to catch up on sleep. I only play once the kids are in bed, I've had supper and spent some time with the wife, chores are done, etc.

Even if I set an alarm or tell myself I'll play til midnight or something, the alarm without fail is ignored, 12 becomes 12:30, 12:30 becomes 1, etc. Or I look at the clock and see it's 11:30, then look again "shortly" thereafter and it's 2.

I tried at first to set logical end-points, but would realize 50 turns after my goal that I had reached my goal, and by then I'd be in the middle of a new goal and that would become the new end-point.

At some point the more sane parts of my brain tell me "Damnit, you're being stupid. GO TO BED." So I voted biological :).