Tip: Polution

(Said using your best salesperson impersonation.)

Is Pollution getting you down? Are your skies smogy and water yucky?

Then we have a solution to your pollution. In just two steps you will see more blue skies.

Step 1: Get Aesthetic Tradition.

Step 2: Send your workers on holiday to the city with all that pollution.

The workers, having a fine sense of beauty, wont just sit around they will, just by being there and doing nothing, clean up that nasty pollution.​

Then we have a solution to your pollution. In just two steps you will see more blue skies.

The workers, having a fine sense of beauty, wont just sit around they will, just by being there and doing nothing, clean up that nasty pollution.​
Sounds like we could use a buildup for workers to help with pollution cleanup! I didn't realize workers had any pollution control Property Modifiers but that's just something I hadn't paid attention to apparently. It's a good idea!

Sounds like we could use a buildup for workers to help with pollution cleanup! I didn't realize workers had any pollution control Property Modifiers but that's just something I hadn't paid attention to apparently. It's a good idea!
They have had it for awhile but I thought no one had noticed. Hence the ad:D.

I thought about a build up for them but then considered that it would be wrong. There are more important things for workers to be doing so leave the build up to the real pollution fighting units.

Edit on the other hand a build-up that wakes the unit when the pollution gets down to zero would be very useful for workers. I can't figure out how to do that as a mission and doing it in Python it would need a loop through all units -slow,

I thought about a build up for them but then considered that it would be wrong. There are more important things for workers to be doing so leave the build up to the real pollution fighting units.
What else would be important for them to be doing when they aren't working at an improvement? We should brainstorm/itemize such a list. Those should be defined as other buildups they could do alternatively as well. Some of those tasks may need new tags but at least giving a plan for it could help.

Some such buildups may offer a little xp per round too.

And keep in mind it can be very very gradual. Buildups are pretty much just a way of saying, have this unit do this while they are otherwise stationary.

Important question, Can you get 1. Aesthetic Tradition any time during the games course of play? Even in the Modern and later eras? Or is the Tradition gone Obsolete long before then?

Important question, Can you get 1. Aesthetic Tradition any time during the games course of play? Even in the Modern and later eras? Or is the Tradition gone Obsolete long before then?
Currently the building goes from TECH_AESTHETICS to TECH_CIVIL_ENGINEERING and the promotion goes obsolete at TECH_MOTORIZED_TRANSPORTATION.

I am not adverse to that changing. However I would suggest that there be another similar Tradition that comes into affect in the modern era as you can't scale a promotion by tech.

So it's usable up to Industrial Era as it stands? And how hard is it to get the promotion for the worker(s)?

But the game Really needs an addition that would take it further, at a minimum of getting into the Nanotech Era.

So it's usable up to Industrial Era as it stands. But the game Really needs an addition that would take it further, at a minimum of getting into the Nanotech Era.
An alternative would be to make some subsequent promotions which can be learnt through experience that come about later or are free with certain buildings. The original would need to not go obsolete though.

Getting the AI to use this would be Huge for the Mod. Along with extending it.

EDIT: And finally from my own personal game play I've never given any of my early game workers a promotion that gives pollution cleanup. What is the promotion called? How hard is it to get for the worker unit? All I see is Forest/Plains/Hills type promos become available.

Last edited:
It is a Tradition you need to spend a Great Artist to build the Tradition at TECH_AESTHETICS. The tradition is based on the idea that your people appreciate pretty stuff.

I suppose it could be changed so that you can get it (the tradition) at TECH_PERSONAL_ADORNMENT with auto buildings that provide better promotions at Aesthetics and again at one of the modern art techs and then later at another art style tech later in game.

The way these free promotions from buildings work is that they give the promotion to any unit built there or ends its turn in the city. Same as bamboo armour. As far as I know the AI knows about this sort of thing because it is standard BtS. However building the Tradition may not.

The problem is that Traditions usually only have one promotion and Doctrines have a promotion line but Doctrines are World Wonders not National.

It is a Tradition you need to spend a Great Artist to build the Tradition at TECH_AESTHETICS.

So a mid to late Classical Era Tech which needs a GA to get the Tradition. That the Tradition then goes obsolete at Early Medieval Tech Civil Service but the Promotion given from this tradition lasts until Early Industrial but ends with Motorized Transportation.

I suppose it could be changed so that you can get it (the tradition) at TECH_PERSONAL_ADORNMENT with auto buildings that provide better promotions at Aesthetics and again at one of the modern art techs and then later at another art style tech later in game.
Yes definitely so.

The problem is that Traditions usually only have one promotion
Is there a restriction that makes this so? And it was purposefully designed this way?

So a mid to late Classical Era Tech which needs a GA to get the Tradition. That the Tradition then goes obsolete at Early Medieval Tech Civil Service but the Promotion given from this tradition lasts until Early Industrial but ends with Motorized Transportation.
I thought Civil Service was a late Renaissance tech. It was not "discovered" in Europe until the late Colonial period but was much earlier in China and India. It was part of the trade in technologies during that era.

Is there a restriction that makes this so? And it was purposefully designed this way?
It is the definition. Traditions are available to everyone (National Wonder) and only have one promotion. Doctrines and Global Wonders and have a line of promotions. They are from Realism Invictus.

It is about balance. You know the approximate value of each just by the name and so can make strategic decisions on how to use your Great people.

Although those are promotions you earn not ones that are free so I suppose it would be OK. I would have to check if we need to use "auto build" of "free" buildings. The latter is understood by the AI so would affect their use of it in a positive way. I am just not sure that a building that gives multiple free buildings will give the subsequent ones when the tech for those buildings becomes available or if it gives them anyway.

I thought Civil Service was a late Renaissance tech. It was not "discovered" in Europe until the late Colonial period but was much earlier in China and India. It was part of the trade in technologies during that era.
It's Civil Engineering not Civil Service, Middle Industrial. Actually 1 column before Motorized transportation.

It is the definition. Traditions are available to everyone (National Wonder) and only have one promotion. Doctrines and Global Wonders and have a line of promotions. They are from Realism Invictus.

It is about balance. You know the approximate value of each just by the name and so can make strategic decisions on how to use your Great people.

Although those are promotions you earn not ones that are free so I suppose it would be OK. I would have to check if we need to use "auto build" of "free" buildings. The latter is understood by the AI so would affect their use of it in a positive way. I am just not sure that a building that gives multiple free buildings will give the subsequent ones when the tech for those buildings becomes available or if it gives them anyway.
Anything to help would be great.

Code:
           <!-- Tradition - Asthetic Appreciation  -->
           <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION</BuildingClass>
           <Type>BUILDING_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION</Type>
           <MapCategoryTypes>
               <MapCategoryType>MAPCATEGORY_EARTH</MapCategoryType>
           </MapCategoryTypes>
           <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION</Description>
           <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
           <Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_WORKER_TRADITION_STRATEGY</Strategy>
           <!-- Prerequisites -->
           <PrereqTech>TECH_AESTHETICS</PrereqTech>
           <!-- Obsolescence -->
           <ObsoleteTech>TECH_CIVIL_ENGINEERING</ObsoleteTech>
           <!-- Cost -->
           <iCost>-1</iCost>
           <Advisor>ADVISOR_CULTURE</Advisor>
           <!-- Global -->
           <GlobalCommerceModifiers>
               <iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
               <iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
               <iCommerce>10</iCommerce>
           </GlobalCommerceModifiers>
           <FreeBuilding>BUILDINGCLASS_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION_EFFECT</FreeBuilding>
           <!-- Misc -->
           <iAsset>8</iAsset>
           <iPower>4</iPower>
           <Flavors>
               <Flavor>
                   <FlavorType>FLAVOR_CULTURE</FlavorType>
                   <iFlavor>10</iFlavor>
               </Flavor>
           </Flavors>
           <bNeverCapture>1</bNeverCapture>
           <bNukeImmune>1</bNukeImmune>
           <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_TRADITION</ArtDefineTag>
           <MovieDefineTag>ART_DEF_MOVIE_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION</MovieDefineTag>
       </BuildingInfo>
       <BuildingInfo>
           <!-- Effect - Tradition - Aesthetic Appreciation -->
           <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION_EFFECT</BuildingClass>
           <Type>BUILDING_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION_EFFECT</Type>
           <MapCategoryTypes>
           </MapCategoryTypes>
           <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION_EFFECT</Description>
           <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
           <!-- Cost -->
           <iCost>-1</iCost>
           <!-- Units -->
           <FreePromotion>PROMOTION_TRADITION_ASTHETIC_APPRECIATION</FreePromotion>
           <bApplyFreePromotionOnMove>1</bApplyFreePromotionOnMove>
           <!-- Misc -->
           <iAsset>1</iAsset>
           <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_TRADITION</ArtDefineTag>
       </BuildingInfo>
       <BuildingInfo>

Here is the complete section on Tradition Aesthetics with the Section Effect - Tradition - Aesthetic Appreciation. I do not see an Obsolete Tech for the FreePromotion in the Effect section.

There is one for the Tradition as stated before Civil Engineering.

Now the Next section under the <!-- Effect - Tradition - Aesthetic Appreciation --> is the Tradition Work Ethic.
Code:
       <!-- Tradition - Work Ethic  -->
           <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_TRADITION_WORK_ETHIC</BuildingClass>
           <Type>BUILDING_TRADITION_WORK_ETHIC</Type>
           <MapCategoryTypes>
           </MapCategoryTypes>
           <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TRADITION_WORK_ETHIC</Description>
           <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TRADITION_WORK_ETHIC_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
           <!-- Prerequisites -->
           <PrereqTech>TECH_SPECIALIZATION</PrereqTech>
           <!-- Obsolescence -->
           <ObsoleteTech>TECH_MOTORIZED_TRANSPORTATION</ObsoleteTech>

It obsoletes at Motorized Transportation. Do the 2 work together, Aesthetics and Work Ethic? Or are they actually separate Traditions as the file shows?

Here is the complete section on Tradition Aesthetics with the Section Effect - Tradition - Aesthetic Appreciation. I do not see an Obsolete Tech for the FreePromotion in the Effect section.

Do the 2 work together, Aesthetics and Work Ethic? Or are they actually separate Traditions as the file shows?

The obsolete tech on promotions is in the Promotions Infos file in the XML/Units folder.

Currently C2C has two worker Traditions. Just like the military Traditions in Realism Invictus you can have as many as you can build and they work together. Though usually, in RI, you only have one active Tradition per combat class at any time.

Top Bottom