Tips for beginners

Zhuge_Liang

The greatest strategist
Feel free to contribute here! Tips of any kind related to game is accepted here, but this thread shoudn't go off topic.

1) When you start, build more farms to increase food production.

2) After that, build some citizens and let them build a lumber collector.

3) Your economy is now stable so....... Start gearing for war!

Zhuge_Liang said:
3) Your economy is now stable so....... Start gearing for war!
I disagree... I'd say you should have two to three established cities before preparing for offensive war, or your economy will stagnate. Unless I'm cramped, I don't usually go on the attack until I have at least five cities.

My research strategy is to pursue scientific techs first, as these reduce the cost of other techs and cost no Food, which can then be spent training more citizens.

5 cities, cricky, that seems like such a waste of population given that three cities is enough as your commercial income becomes maxed out with technological developments.

4) Naval supremacy is a mugs game. Build fortresses along your coast with a few seige engines nearby to deal with long-range bombardment. Either that or you just send out wave after wave of fleets which isn't very productive. By all means have ships, just don't waste resources using them in a defensive capacity.

1) When you start said:
1. you should fill your lumber camps before you build farms because you need wood to research science which should be your first tech you research because it lowers the cost of all other techs.

3. There are two main styles of play one is to rush one is to boom. I'm personally a boom player. Rushing is good to gain an early edge by hurting you opponents economy but if it fails it will have the opposite effect.

Keep your armies diverse. IF you're a beginner playing as american is always a safe choice but the quickest way to get better is to play the computer on random against a random opponent.

personally, I think 3 cities should stabalize your economy and get you going.

I usually go for 5-6 cities in strategic areas with good resource production. Its really a matter of play style and preference. From past playing experience 3 cities isn't enough for defensive purposes. I could mean that 1/3 of your economy is in one city and leaves your capital poorly defended.

Top Bottom