To those who don't play with mods, why not?

I understand your point, and trust me, whenever I buy a suboptimal product and know I can't get refund, I will try my best to get the best out of it. However, I consider voicing the displeasure very important for the future. If everybody just happily accepts a messy product and say "don't worry, be happy, we can fix it", the next product in this series is likely to be at least as messy.

And as I mentioned, I don't mind playing mods of a good game for trying different flavors (your "individual preference"), but this is totally different from fixing a highly unpolished game. As a matter of fact, after a few patch this game can't even remember the player last game preference/options, and still don't have a restart button.

In short, You view it as a good base game, good for you. I view it as a broken game clearly not tested enough. Just agree to disagree then.
I really don't see your logic here, a bad game can be a great modding platform.

I understand the part about not forgiving the bad by not buying anything else like DLC, expansion or the next version, but once you've already bought it and can't be refunded, it seems very strange to refuse to take the good part of the product (which is still an unknown in the current case)

I play with just one mod, AlertGuard, which more-or-less fixes a specific small issue with the game. Apart from that, I find the game works well enough for me that I don't have the motivation to spend time investigating mods. When and if I get sick of the game as it stands, I might be more motivated to research the subject.

My reasons for not playing with mods are:
1) I generally like to play the game as the devs intended. I feel like I am not playing the real game if I use a mod.
2) A lot of mods break the game. They can make an element in the game OP.
3) Some mods are of poor quality. I don't care for mods with bad graphics or bugs.

1) I generally like to play the game the way it bring me most enjoyment. And with mainstream releases which target world-wide broad audience, I soon gravitate toward mods that are more tailored to my needs.
2) True. But a lot of mods make the game much better. In few cases they should be used as day one patches e.g. Civ4: Colonization and The Authentic Colonization mod.
3) Mods are like Browsers extension, Phone app etc.. It takes a little research and experimentation to find what best suits your needs. Although being an early adopter isn't for most people.

For anyone wondering, mods do not lock achievements.

With mods you can intentionally break game balance, so unless you speak of cosmetic mod, this seems off..

At the moment, the Civ VI modding community hasn't yet been provided the tools they need to really improve the AI. (They can change XML values but Firaxis / 2K hasn't yet provided the code needed to go deep into it yet.)

You mean the SDK? Any idea when it will be released? I haven't followed their release schedule with Civ5, but most devs who release such tools, often do so after the year mark or so, no?

Last edited:
You mean the SDK? Any idea when it will be released? I haven't followed their release schedule with Civ5, but most devs who release such tools, often do so after the year mark or so, no?

Civ 5's SDK was released 7 days after the game's release, going by Google.

As for Civ 6's, who knows?

The only mod I'm using right now is real simple, the one that lets all AI ranged units attack after moving.

I played a couple of games with the AI+ mod, but switched it off for now. Started to get a feeling I want to get a better idea of the base game first (only bought in January).

After they confirmed explicitly "to work on modding tools" I'd say a question of weeks, not days or months.

because i m waiting for mods and workshop to appear on steam, so i dont face having to delete the game and reinstall because i mess up putting mods manually in (i have skyrim you can probably tell i also mod it outside of steam) and also im waiting for someone to make an IGE mod. i have so much more fun when i can spam units in an allied AI territory and gift them to the ally using IGE for no reason at all than imagine the look on the aggressor AI face when it suddenly isnt close to capturing the city anymore because 10 mercenary units appeared... im also waiting for someone to make an earth map as big a size as civ 6 can handle. but steam workshop mods work for civ 5 for me so i prefer to wait until then.

oh and im waiting for a production queue mod also.

Not wanting to block achievements was one major reason, but I see that I don't have to worry about that. The bigger reason is stability and ease. I want 'official' mods that I can download/update/control through the UI once everything is stable. EUI was the only mod I used for a long time on V and I am eagerly waiting for something like it on VI. Acken's balance mod really extended the life of V for me and I hope we get something like that someday as well, but I am not interested in anything but better UI, balance, and improved AI play. The intent is to keep it as pure to the original as possible.

Not wanting to block achievements was one major reason, but I see that I don't have to worry about that.
I saw mixed messages, suggesting that at least some achievements are blocked by some Mods; nor is past performance a guarantee of future results. OFC depends on how bothered you are about achievements.

I love (good) mods but GotM doesn't allow them and I can come to depend on a good mod like EUI so its better to just not until they are allowed.

Because the AI in the base game is too bad.
So I could try AI+. I did at one point, and it was still substellar. I don't want to spend some time trying AI+ only to realise it's still not good enough, because I'd have more fun doing something else.
Also, there may be compatibility problems if a patch happens.
Also, there is a lack of options in the game that make it too hard to mod (can'tzoom out or regenerate map easily so I would rather write my own game than mod this one if I want nice random terrain generation).

A bit of clarification on achievements with mods: They work, as long as you use the standard ruleset. So mods that change the ruleset lock achievements.

Top Bottom