1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

To what ancient people you belong to

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Fengorm, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Fengorm

Fengorm Chieftain

I found a genetic research institute, which can find out, to what ancient people your ancestors belong to, for example if you have germanic, celtic or assyrian ancestors.

But it is only possible with the line pure father and pure mother, for example father-father of him and so on. I have ordered such a test, cause I always wanted to know to which ancient people I "belong to".

On the english site are not the links to the press reports, but on the german speaking site, there is also a recommendation from the focus-magazine, a magazine with good reputation in Germany, so I think they are a serius institute and no charlatans.

What you think about this, are you also interested in things like that?
    I am German and really like the Germanic and Celtic culture, I think something like this will be in my result, cause I have blond hair and a read beard when I let it grow, but due to the fact, that they only analyze two lines, it could be, that they find other cultural heritages, which would also be very interesting.

HTML:
    http://www.igenea.com/

2. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Indian. Didn't even need a genetic test to prove that.

Edit: Here's a quick guide:
    1) If you're white: prolly some mix of celtic, germanic, and a bit of jew.
    2) if you're black: do you even have to ask this?
    3) if you're Indian brown: ...duh.
    4) If you're from the Middle East: a combination of Semitic and Assyrian.
    5) If you're Asian: again...duh.
    6) If you're Hispanic: not going to touch that. It really involves everything from Latin to African with some native stuff thrown in to double your pleasure.

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

4. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Stuff like this? DNAancestryproject.com

I believe there is real science to this, though I wouldn't make claims about any particular corporation's process.

And apparently there's criticism of the genealogical value and value of establishing ethnicity of the testing, which makes some sense. http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/10/18_genetictesting.shtml

I have a better understanding of the SNP phenomena, so I'd put more creedence in that if I were getting my own done.

But I think the bottom line is:

5. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Probably closest to the Austronesian peoples.

6. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

Finnic peoples most likely. Sometimes it's boring to be a Finn, only few of us have foreign ancestors like almost all North Americans do. :(

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

8. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

The Armenians. :smug:

9. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

These tests are slightly misleading. Obviously your paternal line is just one line out of thousands/millions of ancestors. I think people latch on to the results too much and think it symbolises their ancestral home.
    1) Depends where your ancestors are from. I would be fairly surprised to find Jewish ancestors, but someone with Eastern European ancestry would probably be surprised not to find any.
    2) Well black people often have a lot of white ancestors because of slavery and inter-racial marriages, so no it's not straight-forward.

You can't just assume that your greatgreatgreatgreat...... ancestor was the same race as you and from nearby. A man from the UK did a test like this and determined he was probably descended from Genghis Khan.

10. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Southern Mediterranean is pretty mixed up too. You might find Norse/Norman mixed with Italian/Greek and even some Arab/Middle-Eastern.

11. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

The Germanic Tribes.

12. Ramius75

Ramius75 Deity

God Chosen people... The Chinese.

13. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

Probably mostly Germanic and a little Celtic.

14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

I am half Croat and half Serb and both are not purely slavic peoples. There's probably some Scythians or Sarmatians or similar semi-nomadic barbarian riffraff in my lineage.

15. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Probably Roman, Germanic (Bavarian?), and Baltic (Poland).

16. Slaughter

Slaughter Initiate

I'm mainly of portuguese-italian descent. My paternal grandmother's family was a portuguese noble house called Rangel, they also had some spanish links. My maternal grandmother is mainly descended from Italian immigrants, they're the Carlotino family. I don't know much about my grandfathers, but my paternal grandfather was said to have some french and black descendency, and my maternal grandfather was a black man. There's also probrably some amerindian blood somewhere, there always is.

17. Doge Soprano

Doge Soprano Chieftain

I'm Javanese and my families call themselves that. Well okay you want to hear something ancient!

According to Wikipedia Javanese are of Austronesian origin from Taiwan. Maternal grandmother (and her paternal line) was very pale with unmistakable European nose-bridge. Probably they're decendants of colonists from Turkey or Netherlands. There's always possibility of Portuguese or English ancestry but the latter is unlikely as they were not known to settle in Indonesia. There's also an obvious one that is India duh. Now my father family looks very Samoan notably the built although they technically aren't considered Pacific Islander in Java.