To what ancient people you belong to

Fengorm

Chieftain
I found a genetic research institute, which can find out, to what ancient people your ancestors belong to, for example if you have germanic, celtic or assyrian ancestors.

But it is only possible with the line pure father and pure mother, for example father-father of him and so on. I have ordered such a test, cause I always wanted to know to which ancient people I "belong to".

On the english site are not the links to the press reports, but on the german speaking site, there is also a recommendation from the focus-magazine, a magazine with good reputation in Germany, so I think they are a serius institute and no charlatans.

What you think about this, are you also interested in things like that?
I am German and really like the Germanic and Celtic culture, I think something like this will be in my result, cause I have blond hair and a read beard when I let it grow, but due to the fact, that they only analyze two lines, it could be, that they find other cultural heritages, which would also be very interesting.

HTML:
http://www.igenea.com/

Indian. Didn't even need a genetic test to prove that.

Edit: Here's a quick guide:
1) If you're white: prolly some mix of celtic, germanic, and a bit of jew.
2) if you're black: do you even have to ask this?
3) if you're Indian brown: ...duh.
4) If you're from the Middle East: a combination of Semitic and Assyrian.
5) If you're Asian: again...duh.
6) If you're Hispanic: not going to touch that. It really involves everything from Latin to African with some native stuff thrown in to double your pleasure.

Stuff like this? DNAancestryproject.com

I believe there is real science to this, though I wouldn't make claims about any particular corporation's process.

And apparently there's criticism of the genealogical value and value of establishing ethnicity of the testing, which makes some sense. http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/10/18_genetictesting.shtml

Among the potentially problematic byproducts of widespread genetic ancestry testing: questionable claims of membership to Native American tribes for financial or other benefits; patients asking doctors to take ancestry tests into consideration when making medical decisions; and skewed census data due to people changing ethnicity on government forms.

A third option, known as AncestryByDNA, or admixture testing, is more promising in that it examines non-sex chromosomes inherited from both parents, chromosomes that contain DNA segments from all ancestors. To a limited extent, this test can track the geographical movements of ancestors by examining single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs), some of which influence such traits as skin color and resistance to regional diseases. That said, the same SNPs may be found among several populations around the world, and thus can produce false leads.

I have a better understanding of the SNP phenomena, so I'd put more creedence in that if I were getting my own done.

But I think the bottom line is:
"Worldwide patterns of human genetic diversity are weakly correlated with racial and ethnic categories because both are partially correlated with geography," the study says.

Probably closest to the Austronesian peoples.

Finnic peoples most likely. Sometimes it's boring to be a Finn, only few of us have foreign ancestors like almost all North Americans do. :(

These tests are slightly misleading. Obviously your paternal line is just one line out of thousands/millions of ancestors. I think people latch on to the results too much and think it symbolises their ancestral home.
Indian. Didn't even need a genetic test to prove that.

Edit: Here's a quick guide:
1) If you're white: prolly some mix of celtic, germanic, and a bit of jew.
2) if you're black: do you even have to ask this?
1) Depends where your ancestors are from. I would be fairly surprised to find Jewish ancestors, but someone with Eastern European ancestry would probably be surprised not to find any.
2) Well black people often have a lot of white ancestors because of slavery and inter-racial marriages, so no it's not straight-forward.

You can't just assume that your greatgreatgreatgreat...... ancestor was the same race as you and from nearby. A man from the UK did a test like this and determined he was probably descended from Genghis Khan.

Southern Mediterranean is pretty mixed up too. You might find Norse/Norman mixed with Italian/Greek and even some Arab/Middle-Eastern.

The Germanic Tribes.

I am half Croat and half Serb and both are not purely slavic peoples. There's probably some Scythians or Sarmatians or similar semi-nomadic barbarian riffraff in my lineage.

Probably Roman, Germanic (Bavarian?), and Baltic (Poland).

I'm mainly of portuguese-italian descent. My paternal grandmother's family was a portuguese noble house called Rangel, they also had some spanish links. My maternal grandmother is mainly descended from Italian immigrants, they're the Carlotino family. I don't know much about my grandfathers, but my paternal grandfather was said to have some french and black descendency, and my maternal grandfather was a black man. There's also probrably some amerindian blood somewhere, there always is.

I'm Javanese and my families call themselves that. Well okay you want to hear something ancient!

According to Wikipedia Javanese are of Austronesian origin from Taiwan. Maternal grandmother (and her paternal line) was very pale with unmistakable European nose-bridge. Probably they're decendants of colonists from Turkey or Netherlands. There's always possibility of Portuguese or English ancestry but the latter is unlikely as they were not known to settle in Indonesia. There's also an obvious one that is India duh. Now my father family looks very Samoan notably the built although they technically aren't considered Pacific Islander in Java.

Top Bottom