Top 5 Adventure games...

Kyriakos

Creator
In the same vein as the concurrent RPG thread :)

I haven't played many adventure games that came after the 90s... But it was a golden era for that type of game.

My favorite are probably the following:

5. Beneath a Steel Sky (Revolution) (i would have named Sanitarium, but i only played a small part of that game...).

4. Lure of the Temptress (Revolution)

3. Cruise for a Corpse (Delphine)

2. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (Sierra- it is being currently remade for the 20th anniversary :) ).

1. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (Revolution) :D

Of the above i loved all apart from 5, which i did like but i am not into sci-fi settings... It still was a great adventure and Revolution is an amazing company for this type of software.

Broken Sword I was above everything else, though. Despite the plot being less dark than Gabriel Knight I (which also had some problems, in my view, but is a wonderful adventure anyway).

I know none of the game that you mention, I remember when I was so little I played some adventure pc games but I can't address the title though. Maybe someone can help me out to name the title:

4. I just remember in the start there is an energiser bunny walking around playing drum in somekind of futuristic abandon city or ruin, and the scene is scifi, and I always get killed by the alien in the bar or something, I really hardly remember.

3. It is about a king that lost his castle, and he wandering around, I remember there is a snake in the forest that bite you if you pass, a bear, a witch that kills you if you pass, and also a deathly desert but I don't know the name of the game.

2. This one I was quite enjoy it as a child, it is about a naughty kids, I hardly remember but the things that I remember I always stuck in the part where there is a baby sitter that able to shape shifting into bat and kill my character, and I unable to pass it.

1. Tales of the monkey Island, yes I remember this one. :)

I found it hard to choose just five, as I played many point and click adventure games.

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - This was the first adventure game that I played (on the PlayStation of all things), although at the time I never knew what the game was, and I never managed to get anywhere. Many years later I got it for the PC.

Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb - This one I played only last year, but it is an older game, and one that I probably would have wanted when I was younger if I knew about it.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Like many people who played it, the games comes off like an Indiana Jones movie that was never made.

Sam & Max: Hit the Road - Playing this game come off almost like a nostalgic look at 90s cartoons.

The Curse of Monkey Island - The first ever PC magazine I got had on it's front cover a picture that was the cover of this game, and inside I think it was a preview. Years later I managed to play a bit of the first game on the Amiga, and years after that I found a copy of The Curse of Monkey Island for sale. Out of all the Monkey Island games I say this one is my favourite.

What defines adventure genre? Is it a game with more emphasis on exploring vs action? Pretty broad definition, seems even more broad than rpg.

Some top games I remember from childhood but can't seem to find anywhere,

Gold Rush. It was a sierra game with text commands basically looked and played a lot like king's quest but it was about a guy during the California gold rush. You started in Brooklyn NY and received a mysterious letter from your long lost brother explaining how he struck it rich but he needs help. So you set off on a quest to get to California and find him. You have to figure out stuff like selling your house to pay for a boat ticket, choosing between a boat or a cross country wagon ride, making sure you have the right supplies or you'll die along the way. I never actually beat it probably because I was about 7 years old and couldn't figure out how to get past certain points but it left a huge impression on me.

Another game in similar vein was called The Scoop. It was based on an Agatha Christie novel or maybe not a specific novel but it was a murder mystery where you were a reporter. I don't think it was sierra, it looked a little different than their games but still you typed in commands (kinda the precursor to point and click).

Other games I liked and would consider adventure, Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening (really all the zelda games but I really liked this gameboy one), and a couple new one's The Walking Dead and Fez. Walking Dead is an interactive comic book basically, kind of like today's point and click, though it's not open at all. Fez is like an adventure game meets puzzler- no combat just explore and solve crazy puzzles.

@civvver: I was mostly thinking of point and click adventures :)

I heavily dislike action sequences in adventures (i almost gave up Broken Sword I due to the few it has..., also never finished Gabriel Knight I due to the only significant action sequence in it).

Of course I liked all Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle and Loom which all are absolute classics. And Dark Seed btw. More Recently (but not much more) Grim Fandango was genial and Lighthouse: the Dark Being, never got hooked by Myst however.

1) Day of the Tentacle - One of my favorite ever games.

2) Grim Fandango - probably one the last and greatest of its kind. Very funny and thoughtful too.

3) Simon the Sorcerer 2 - Maybe because my sense of humor is so childish.

4) Alone in the Dark - One of the scariest games i have ever played. It wasnt point and click, but deserves a mention in the genre IMO.

5) Cant remember the name of it, but if anyone can tell me what it is that would be good as now it has my curiosity roused. I originally played it on an Amstrad. You had to escape from this haunted house. Each of the rooms was a still image and there was very basic animation in places. Worked on PC speakers only. You had to find clues, solve parts of the story etc. The most significant thing i can remember is all the rooms were in blue and it also had the two twins from the shining in one of the rooms who always used to kill me.

An adventure on the Amstrad?

Hm, i owned a CPC 6128 Amstrad (my first computer) but never had any adventure there. Maybe some version of the early PC "Maniac Mansion"?

There was also a series of platform games that had a degree of "object hunting/using". I had one of those for the Amstrad. You controlled a sort of medieval knight. It was called "Spellbound":

Trap Door for Spectrum was awesome.

I really liked LA Noire too. It's very much a modern point and click imo.

The Secret of Monkey Island

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Myst

Riven: The Sequel to Myst

I've yet to play other adventure games that match the level of perfect puzzle/story integration that these games had.

Jury's still out, but Broken Age's first part is seriously suggesting it might be a contender...

Top Bottom