Top ten musical pieces of Civ VI

Kimiimaro

King
The title speaks for itself. Feel free to show your top 10 lists here! Here is mine:

10, Russia Ancient theme/Russia Atomic theme
- (I know, it feels like a cheating, but I wanted to put the Atomic theme somewhere but I realised I didn't have place) The first one gives me the feel of cold snowy wasteland where people gathered and started to build a city. It's a small city from which a strong civilization will arise. The second one gives me the feel of the biggest Empire in the world. Empire with strong army, that noone likes to mess with. And I seriously love the choir.

9, Brazil Medieval theme - When I first heard it, I couldn't get this crazy and catchy carnival melody out of my head. I literally started to jiggle on chair, drub and dance. It's really a great piece that always fills me with joy and good mood.

8, Japan Medieval theme
- I first thought that Japanese themes are boring. Then I met Hojo in medieval times and I couldn't stop listening it.

7, Persia Ancient theme - It seems that I really love the sound of the santur. It's a great theme that perfectly depicts the great ancient Achaemenid empire.

6, Spain Medieval theme
- This theme made my games at Philip much better. It gives a me feel of Spanish Empire in medieval times. It's also one of the most medieval-like themes in game.

5, Egypt Industrial theme
- I don't know why, but I find this theme very good, exotic and catchy.

4, America Atomic theme - Here we got something I call the Astronaut theme. Why? Because I always picture American astronauts preparing to get launched to the space. It's a great theme that reminds me accomplishments of USA, former British colony that eventually ended being one of the strongest countries in the whole world. But please, one little request. Stop playing almost constantly in my games. Thank you.

3, Poland Industrial theme - It sounds so majestic and regal. All of Polish themes sound beautiful and Poland definitely deserved to win the themes elimination thread, mostly thanks to this incredibly great theme.

2, Scythia Atomic theme - Its beauty is hard to describe. I always imagine futuristic city in night. City built by nomadic people of the steppe. Accomplishments of these people led by their heroic queen Tomyris. Power of these people. And yet it isn't enough to describe it. This song must have been mixed with magic or so - it's so beautiful, but there is only one better musical piece...

1, Sogno di Volare - ...and it's Sogno di Volare. It's a great and inspiring musical piece. Christopher Tin once again showed his genius and created a great work of music that will become a legend after Civ VI era will end, exactly like Baba Yetu. This is a piece that makes starting the game difficult, because I don't want to interrupt it.

Last edited:
Love the music in Civ 6. Love the arrangements.

Although I am finding myself humming Waltzing Matilda a lot nowadays. :)

I think Japan's Atomic theme, and America's atomic theme, alongside Macedon's, are the best in the game thus far--they evoke emotions with subtlety and have grandeur without falling into cliche quite as much as some other songs. There are some other nice ones, like Rome's Atomic theme, which has glorious imperial ambitions, and Scythia's, which is mournful and epic in the style of Game of Thrones (think Daenerys more than Snow).

Not as much a fan of the more repetitive songs like Waltzing Matilda (which would have been more charming with vocals in the manner of that *one African song* which isn't Kongo's main theme but is part of their musical suite--can't remember its name).

This list is so hard as there are so many good songs! Okay here is mine with 10 being least and 1 being most favourite:

10) England Industrial Theme - I like the buildup and instrumentals at the end. I like it how they turned something fun and merry into something more emotional and majestic.

9) America Industrial - A song that feels very connected with nature and the vast openness of the country. Feels like you're in a western when hearing it.

8) France Medieval - I like a lot of the European Medieval themes, but this song is my favourite as it is upbeat and full of energy.

7) Korea Industrial - The start reminds me of a Disney film opening. I also love the instrumentals in this song and how elegant it sounds.

6) China Industrial - This song is so fun and playful. I like it that it is very peaceful sounding and doesn't take itself too seriously.

5) Indonesia Industrial - I really like Indonesia and this song fits well for a civ that is so happy and peaceful. I like the different exotic instruments and high intensity.

4) Persia Industrial - I'm also a fan of the santur and also like it that the same instrument features on all the ambient tracks. Very powerful and beautiful song.

3) Mongolia Medieval - Very catchy and energetic song for a civ thats about to make an big impact. The throat singing is also a very nice touch.

2) Georgia Industrial - Poor Georgia gets a lot of stick, but I like this song as it is so different. I like it that it starts off grand and then goes into something more soulful.

1) Russia Atomic - I love the choir at the end. It's not the happiest song, but it's the most emotional one in my opinion, and sounds like an anthem for the endurance and achievements of a hard people.

Last edited:
1. Cree Atomic- My favorite. The combination of the vocals and the instruments is amazing.
2. Sogno di Volare- Great start to the game. I love the fact that you can still hear it with the expansion.
3. Scotland Atomic- Can't hear bagpipes in this one but it sounds upbeat.
4. Mongolia Medieval- Really upbeat the whole way and it sounds like a Mongolian cavalry is coming toward you with excellent throat singing.
5. Russia Atomic- Only Vanilla game with Vocals in it.
6. Korea Industrial- Great opening in my opinion.
7. Australia Atomic- I might be the only one who likes Atomic didgeridoos.
8. Zulu Medieval- I like them before it gets auto tuned.
9. Georgia Industrial- Vocals make a big difference and the trend carries.
10. Indonesia Industrial- The middle reminds me of the Sims.
I guess end the end I'm partial to vocals and non vanilla Civs music.

Ha. Wanted to have some thread for music discussion, but didn't want to create one.

Somehow I mostly like industrial themes, they seem most balanced. Atomic sometimes go over the top with fancy stuff, and the pre-industrial often lack the fancy stuff.

Sogno Di Volare is also sort of made in the Industrial Era general style (or the Industrial Era themes are deliberately styled to match it), and I won't include it in the list, since it's out of the league by far :D

My list:

10 - With Sogno it's technically 11, so I'll put three honorable mentions here. Cree, Mongolia and Georgia for standing out and distinctively belonging to their owners.

9 - Kongo Industrial/Atomic - it may be a fair complaint that the tune is way too merry, but at least it doesn't make me go grab another beer while it changes to something else. Another thing about it is that it doesn't sound African enough. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I heard it in the Colonization game soundtrack - could well have been written by American colonists. When I first heard it, Teddy was also in the game, so for a while I kept thinking it was his theme.

8 - Greece Industrial - otherwise quite boring, but the Industrial Era arrangement somehow makes this one work.

7 - Kalinka Industrial - maybe I'd have put it higher, but I was born in the USSR (I'm Ukrainian just in case), so to me it is too familiar, and too obvious. But I must say (and I've already said it in the elimination thread), that this arrangement is a very good job, and it is very much made in style of the Russian classical music of the time (and not the more obvious Tchaikovsky, but more of Glinka and such). The atomic one goes back to being ridiculously obvious and caricature, just with the Red Army Choir replacing the balalaika. Russian culture is much deeper than just that :D

6 - Korea Industrial - all of a sudden the whole power of the previously slowish and repeating-ish theme is revealed in the Industrial Era. Well, and as someone said, when you hear it in 50 BC you know you are in trouble :D

5 - Zulu Medieval - the one from R&F similar to Brejeiro in that you hear the first sounds, and you know it's Zulu. Industrial and Atomic ones took a wrong turn in my opinion though. From this I kind of expected them to evolve more into the Gospel/Blues (I know it didn't happen in Africa, but they evolved from this kind of music, and this is a Civilization game which kind of allows for the mixing of cultures) direction rather than the plastic thing we have in the end :D

4 - Brejeiro Medieval - A lot of people say this is too upbeat and so on, but this is quite a unique one in the original game. You may not know the song, but you hear the first beats, and you immediately know it's Brazil theme. Another argument against those who say it's too upbeat and stuff is what they did with their National Anthem at the Rio Olympics opening:
Sounds familiar? :D I also just love how the Industrial Era version is all of a sudden almost completely different.

3 - Persia Atomic
- Industrial is also nice. I like how they managed to preserve the theme's 'persian-ness' to the end, and it also sounds heroic enough for the genre.

2 - Scotland Industrial - Sits in my head ever since I've first heard it, and this is exactly the kind of music you expect to hear in a Civ game, as I said in the elimination threads. The theme in general also nicely changes from aggressive to more calm and then back to a fighting song.

1 - Indonesia Atomic - Just ^%#%$#% monumental! And one of the rare exceptions where the Atomic version puts everything in its place without going over the top. Those who thought us weak are indeed littering the ocean floor... and we're just about to wipe the land surface of the remaining rubbish.

Some general notes. There have been a lot of talk about Vanilla Civ 6 being too euro-centric, but it certainly isn't the case with the music. Somehow the Western European themes (+ Poland) are amazingly unspectacular and similar. I keep confusing England and Germany, even though I knew Scarborough Fair before, and I just can't remember the Dutch, French and Polish themes. I understand that they can be viewed as the same culture, but there's still room to make the themes more distinctive.

Last edited:
I'll need to give this some more thought when I have more time, but I always thought the French medieval music was pretty cool as well.

Heh, I even forgot I started this thread XD

Well, with R&F out, I guess I might update my list...

It's a good thread I enjoyed putting my list together. So many good options!

i don't really have a list of favourites, but nubia's medieval theme is fire

Nubia's themes and Indonesia's themes are both quite strong, particularly compared to the tedious Australia and over-the-top cartoony Khmer themes.

I don't think I want to put a top 10 together but oh my god, the Mongolian Medieval theme is absolutely fantastic. At least I think it's medieval theme, it's the upbeat, galloping one. So so good.

My top 5 (Sorry I think most are great but only a few of them really stand out):

5, Russian ancient/atomic:
The ancient theme harnesses the quiet strings and gusli (sth like a guitar/lyre) that builds up a lonely and winter atmosphere. Starting from the first note, it feels like as if snowflakes are falling wih every rhythm. And then the intensified melody turns the hollow winter into describing the Russian Tsardom, as if there are people dancing, celebrating, laughing... Its beautifully played, although not yet the best that I have heard for russian themes played in this style. The atomic theme is much heavier and I can even feel army marching in the malicing melody. The ending with choir sounds superb. Overall, its genius in turning the original simple and happy Kalinka into such impressive pieces. But with comparison (like Catherine's theme in V), I was not impressed enough.

4, Egyptian atomic:
It is merely epic. It turns El Helwa Di into an epic hymn of the glorious histories of the Pharaohs and Gods. I especially like the opening melody, the slow flute immerses the atmosphere with nostalgia as if it is leading back to tales buried under sands and time. It has a lot of key (tone) changes in various part of the piece, repeatedly using the same melody, like a round.

3, Norway from ancient to atomic:
I like the whole bundle of melody, surprisingly saying. The starting tone is haunting, far away, whispering, like a lullaby in the cold and dark northern night. Then the horns and trumpets in the medieval to atomic themes, sounding strong and sinister. It reminds me of Vikings raids and also the ride of the Valkyries over the sky. Am I the only one thinking of Thor from the Avengers when I hear the atomic theme?

2, Japanese Medieval:
Different from the tranquility of Zen meditation music, or the chaotic worshipping chants and Geisha songs, this melody is fluent like flowing water. It makes me feel like I am looking at a Samurai on a galloping steed. And the main melody played by the flute (I dunno whats it called in Japan), is describing a life, letting me to have a glimpse of the Samurai's very life. Is it a tale of courage and loyalty? Is it a burden of duty? Is it flashing beauty like the Sakura? Yes, and no, for now, it is a song.

1, Scythia ancient/Medieval:
Starting with the slow strings playing a haunting melody, this piece is just so beautiful, yet containing so much grief. The whole piece is using a chord combination that can be separated on their own, but also sound harmonic together. To describe its feeling... It is like riding alone on a wide steppe, with only a glommy open sky above. Alone with the gradually intensive melody, I ride and ride and ride, forgeting everything behind, seeing only the steppe ahead, as if I am free from everything. I have not heard anything that can give me this feeling.

Honorable mentions:
I also like Indoesian theme. It uses sth like a xylophone or a metallic bell, sounding mysterious yet sacred. English theme is also great, but I have heard it a lottttt of times in various versions so not really that impressed. Spain's El recuerdo de Alhambra is nice on guitar, but I dun think that they rendered it as outstanding as the other themes.

Last edited:
Heh, I even forgot I started this thread XD

Well, with R&F out, I guess I might update my list...

Can we use this thread to list our top 10 Civs for their overall Ambient music as well? I know you'd have to be a big music geek to do it but the soundtrack is of the best things about the game and should be discussed/ celebrated in it's entirety.

For those who don't know the ambient music is all the music that isn't the civs main theme. They are still civ specific though and there are over a hundred of these tracks. You can listen to the entire Civ 6 soundtrack on youtube.

Can we use this thread to list our top 10 Civs for their overall Ambient music as well? I know you'd have to be a big music geek to do it but the soundtrack is of the best things about the game and should be discussed/ celebrated in it's entirety.

For those who don't know the ambient music is all the music that isn't the civs main theme. They are still civ specific though and there are over a hundred of these tracks. You can listen to the entire Civ 6 soundtrack on youtube.
Of course you can.

Kongolese "Mama Munu Dile" would end really high in my list of ambient music :)

I hear some nice ambient pieces from time to time (though, some of them are well known), but I'm having trouble identifying them while playing the game (still Brazilian ones are quite unmistakable all the time, just as their main theme). As for going through the whole soundtrack for this purpose - I have some spare time obviously (as I'm playing the game), but not that much :D

Awesome thanks. I'm the same i'd have to look more thoroughly into the soundtrack to make my mind up but I have an idea about the civs that would be on the list. I don't mean identify specific ambient tracks just to select civs with the overall ambient music that you like. They are normally recognisable as they use the same instruments.

Top Bottom