ToT Multiplayer Unit "ghosting"

Kaiser_Miltner

Chieftain
Hi all,

I tried reading all the posts here, to try not to double post something.

I've recently started multi-playing ToT with a friend. If I'm connecting remotely, there's a pause when moving units. This, I expect, is probably related to my dial-up access. "Minor" lag is something I'm accustomed to on stone-age dial-up. :)

My problem is this: Occasionaly, when I move a unit the unit begins it's move, then re-appears in the space from which it moved. If I re-center the map, or "w"ait the unit and come back to it, it's usually moved to the "correct" space and I continue the move.

Recently, however, the units are NOT moving to the new space. But each "attempt" takes one away from the unit's movement total. A Crusader net's (on avg) 4 out of 6 movements along most roads. I wasted three turns trying to get a tireme into port.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Background info:
I'm running ToT (with latest patch) on winXP Pro (blech)
56K winmodem (another blech) connecting at 40k - 44k
The host is on a cable modem (also running the latest ToT patch)
DirectX 8.1
All the XP updates from the web
2GH proc, 512 RAM (brand new computer... etc)

I'm going to try hosting tonight, and see if that helps any. Thanks for any feedback!

Hi Starlifter!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm really enjoying this site so far. It's just packed full of useful information. I'm afraid I'm a pathetically bad Civ player, or else I might try to take on one of you fine players. For now, I'll save myself the embarrasment.

As a followup to my previous post, I tried hosting, and it didn't help any. :-\ We're thinking of trying the "patch" to upgrade our Civ2 classics to MGE. We'll see.

Also, I'll check in the MP boards.

Top Bottom